Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Sevierville , Tennessee
To install a plastic moisture barrier or not... that is the question

I am preparing my 65 Overlander for a Pergo (American Cottage style) flooring laminate installation. I have removed the old carpet and discovered an existing original vinyl flooring in place (grungy, but intact). The instuctions from Pergo call for a 6 mil polyethylene film as a vapor barrier prior to installation.
Have any of you out there with experience in this area or have installed similiar flooring recommend or not this barrier. It's really no big deal and would not take that much addtional time, I'm just curious whether any of you have an opinion on the "do's or don'ts" of a vapor barrier in this type of installation in an A/S, or any other trailer for that matter.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Director
Director is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
I suspect your original vinyl flooring is already an adequate vapor barrier. The vapor barrier is to prevent moisture from rising up into the back of the Pergo flooring and the existing vinyl should be able to do that unless it is full of holes.
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Don't use a vapor barrier. You want the subfloor and the Pergo to reach and maintain similar moisture contents so that they expand and contract together.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
Hypnotist

1982 28' Airstream 280
las vegas , Nevada
Lowes sells a felt style moisture barrier for about 42.00 a roll and it will certainly quiet up the floor after install. Also since it is a floating floor it will float much eaisier as well the pad will help even out any uneven spots on your floor.

Justin
jjhypnotist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 01:44 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Sevierville , Tennessee
Vapor barrier or not...before installing flooring.

Thank you all who replied to my post. After reading them, I have decided not to install the vapor barrier before putting down the Pergo flooring. I think that my old original vinyl should prevent any moisture problem.

Thank you all for your comments.

Director
(David Willard)
Director is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:12 PM   #6
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I think moisture barriers are intended when putting laminate flooring over a cement subfloor. You don't use it when going over wood like in an Airstream.

Like already mentioned, it needs to breathe.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:35 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

flint , Michigan
Right, you will be fine without a moisture barrier as they are necessary over concrete. The vinyl will act as a good subfloor as long as it is full adhered to the floor beneath.