Old 03-26-2015, 11:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
So what was it that you went with? A laminate, solid, the plywood described above. I am sure whatever it will look good.

Tony

Old 03-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Upon further reflection, I remembered a teak install that I did on a boat oh so many years ago. The West Systems site describes it better than I can:
WEST SYSTEM | Modifying and Customizing Boats - Installing a teak deck on Zatara

This is a system that uses teak, but with an epoxy/graphite filler between the slats. The good news: it's very light, uses minimal teak, and is super strong. Bad news: Don't know if it could be adapted to a teak/holly install, and you would probably need to resaw and plane your own boards. And you have a real mess on your hands when you sand down your work!

Ipe is also a good wood to look into... or some of the new composites. I've seen 'em, and you have to get very close to tell the difference. World Panel also has them, they would probably send you a sample.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:45 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Prospect , Kentucky
I went with the solid, Tony. I will install planks of 2 1/2" teak and 1/2" holly with a good marine epoxy. I will let you know how it turns out with pics. Today is the day we are removing the exterior shell. Wish me luck!
Old 03-28-2015, 07:46 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Prospect , Kentucky
SuzyHomemakr, I will be sure and look at the West System - installing a teak deck on Zatara. Thanks for the additional info. Greatly appreciated!
Old 03-28-2015, 09:53 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
A great source for epoxies is Progressive Epoxies, much cheaper than West, better quality: http://epoxyproducts.com/

I've used their Basic No-Blush for years in all sorts of work, and it's always come through. Since it's non-blushing, you can use it as a high build clear coat, and then coat it with a top coat of quality varnish.

Not for the floor, of course, you gotta leave that teak bare for the amazing foot-feel!