Old 03-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
1979 25' Tradewind
Terlton , Oklahoma
Take up Cabinets?

I have a 1979 Tradewind.... just purchased, no restorations made to it... yet.

Would like to replace the carpet, but just hate to take out the cabinets, they are in great shape. Looks like a booger to take out and put back in correctly. Should we though for a good install? We are considering wood laminate flooring and have considered vinyl.

The current fridge sits flush with the floor and will probably have to be raised some to accommodate the thickness of the wood? Am I thinking correctly?

Any input is much appreciated!

angela123go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I assume you've checked out the wood floor deck and the frame for rot and rust. If it's all good, I'd just remove the carpet and replace with lite weight floor of choice.

Replacing floor covering on an old trailer would be WAY down on my list. I'd start with top replacement/repairs. Most old trailers I've seen so far have deferred maintenance by way of leaking ceiling vents, bad plumbing vent seals, and bad window and door gaskets. Then I'd check all the plumbing tanks, pump, water heater, air conditioner, heater, stove/oven, and refrigerator.

There's the small matter of three electrical systems.

When all the maintenance and repairs have been done and all appliances as well as fixtures have been accepted, repaired, or replaced . . . then maybe I'd start to think about floor covering. Just my .02

Click on the link to see a picture of the Sioux River falls near my home.
Eastern South Dakota is very pretty with hills, rivers, and trees.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
1979 25' Tradewind
Terlton , Oklahoma
This is true. The carpet actually isn't top on our list. To us, it just looks like the biggest disaster waiting to happen if we can't get the cabinets back in correctly. It is the one area I haven't found much info online about. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place?

The trailer has been well maintained. Everything but the AC works. The floor is sound with no rot. We are going to get it up and running and test everything as soon as the last threat of freeze is past.

We have noticed some deterioration in the window gaskets, but they are not too bad considering the age.

We purchased this from a family friend. I'm so impressed with the quality of the Airstream, even though this is a 1979! I can see why the big fan base.
angela123go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
A new wood floor should to go under the fridge, just to make it easier to remove or install should the need arise. Old carpet holds dust and smells so it's one of the first things I remove. With it out you can get a good look at the floor under it, and check for water damage. Removing and re-installing cabinets is not at all hard. Just look for all the screws that screw them to the celling, walls, and floor. You will not believe all the dirt and crap that is caught under cabinets in a 30+ year old Airstream. Take pictures of every little thing, so you have something to refer back to when re-assembling it. If you go the new wood floor route, paint the sub-floor first. It makes the trailer smell like new again and helps protect the sub-floor from future water damage. Good luck, Brian
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote