Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2015, 09:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Austin , Texas
Subfloor leveling compound

I am replacing laminate flooring with vinyl planks, and have some uneven areas in subfloor. Is it advisable to use a self leveling compound in a travel trailer?
PAL07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I wouldn't. Just use a regular floor leveling compound.

1. Usually the area to be fixed is small enough that you can level it adequately with a float.
2. If you use a self leveling compound make sure the trailer is absolutely level front to back and side to side. Just your own weight can perturb the balance.

Of course if you have already purchased the compound go ahead and use it.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:20 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Austin , Texas
Subfloor leveling

No, I have not purchased the product yet. I was basically concerned about the compound holding up when used in a travel trailer. Worried the movement would ultimately cause it to break up like a puzzle under the new flooring. Does flooring compound have any flexibility?
Old 01-17-2015, 06:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Since typical floor levelers are designed for use in a static application (i.e., not a trailer) you are right be concerned about flexibility. I would contact the company representative of a product you are considering and start from there. You could be surprised at what you might learn.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:17 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
Ocala , Florida
I had a similar situation when I did my pergo. I used automotive Bondo. It is flexible, adheres well to plywood and 3 years later have no noticeable problems. Bought a quart at WalMart

Spread the Bondo with a trowel and let dry. I used a belt and disk sander to give it a final finish.
Bigdaddy_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
I may have to look at something like a filler as well. I'm pulling up some glued down parquet and while most is coming up, its pulling out some chunks of the top layer of plywood. If the areas that it is dipping are fairly large, I'm not so sure I would spread out a filler material more than a sq foot or so. On my 73, you can see a bit of a dip between each 4 foot section where they span the metal joist in the frame below. That I don't know if I would try bring level or just live with it.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:48 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Austin , Texas
I agree with recommendation to contact company rep of product considered. Just wondering what most people have done in terms of leveling when replacing flooring with vinyl planking?
Old 01-18-2015, 06:24 AM   #8
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I used joint compound (yes, the stuff that goes on drywall). It filled the small gaps and screw holes nicely. Sanded smooth and reapplied. Sanded again and vacuumed. Kilz Premium over the entire surface. Let dry for 2-3 days, longer in high humidity. Measure out the centerline and snap a chalk line. Set tiles according to directions.
Relax and enjoy. Sleeps up to six and two dogs.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote