Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2002, 11:46 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

source for high-end linoleum?

anyone out there know of a place to get really nice linoleum? I saw an article about new linoleum a while back in one of the restoration mags while waiting in line at the home depot. seems that the old standard is coming back with a vengance--and in some very nice colors too. (i am not making this up.) I guess it has to do with the fact that linoleum is all natural--essentially linseed oil and sawdust, and advances in dyes have made colors possible that werent in the 40s

I am going to be ripping out the hiddeous vinyl squares from my '69 tradewind (though i will be saving them in the barn for the time when tastes have decayed to the point when brown rosettes and lemon yellow flowers are beautiful again)

anyway, is anyone aware of a source?
Dave Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 12:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up Yes...

We installed Forbo Marmoleum this spring in our '64 GlobeTrotter. We love it! I am an interior designer so I had one of my installers do it for us...this is really not a do-it-yourself type installation because you only have one shot at cutting the linoleum. Any professional carpet installer will either have someone on his crew or know someone who is an installer that specializes in linoleum. There are two major manufacturers Forbo & Armstrong

The only cautions I would have are:

1. Imperfections will telegragh through the linoleum so your substrate floor needs to be very smooth.
2. Some folks have advised to stay away from sheet goods due to the twisting & turning the trailer has as it moves down the highway. The concern is that the plywood flooring seams may cause the flooring to crack...we have not seen any evidence of this in our trailer to date.
3. On a chilly morning you may want to have your slippers on.

On the other hand...besides being a natural "green" product, it is super easy to keep clean and has a GREAT period look for the older trailers and comes in tons of colors!

If you would like to see ours, there is a page on our website that shows it off under "During" and then click on "Flooring"

Good luck if you decide to ugo with it...please post pictures ~

Shari

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	linod.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	605  
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 02:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

There is a new sheet flooring out that uses Kevlar in the mix somehow. It appears to be extremely durable - very cut resistant. The price per yard is rather high, but you need very few yards for a trailer.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 02:29 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

kevlar

plus, i think you get extra style-points if your floor is bullet-proof
Dave Cole is offline   Reply With Quote