Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2007, 09:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

St Louis , Missouri
sheet vs tile linoleum

Have found some great retro Armstroing linoleum I would like to us in my 72 Safari, but the best colors are in tile and not sheet. I think I would prefer sheet becuase of the lessor number of seams. Does the tile show a lot of seams? Which looks better?
slimitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:14 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I think that tiles look way cooler that sheet flooring. Tiles add to the retro look, especiallt in some sort of checker board set up. Plus I think that tiles are easier to install.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
A PO installed tile linolem in our '66. Obviously foot traffic is dirtier when you boondock camp so the dirt collects easier in the seams. I usually have to mop really good between camping trips. If you do mostly full hook-up camping the annoying problem is probably not so bad.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Valley Center , California
We used VCT tiles in our last trailer and never needed to replace it after 8 years of hard use. I thought it was easy to install because as you are trimming around the edges you are only working with small individual pieces. We did a retro checkerboard pattern and never really noticed the seams. Personally I would go with the type that you glue down, not the "peal and stick."
BogieGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
agreed

I like the look too, of checker-boarded tiles- when new. I can't imagine they'd still look good after a couple years of use, water spills, shrinkage, dirt, etc. But I don't have them, so don't know that for a fact. Hopefully somebody who has had this type of floor, with many seasons of use, will answer your question with more authority than me. Good luck!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:56 AM   #6
_

. , .
do glued flooring styles contribute to subfloor decline?

virtually every flooring material a/s now uses is attached only at the edges...

when i redid the carpet in the old moho, i used industrial carpet, glued and with a built in water blocking layer.

it seemed to work fine, but i've always wondered IF using glued flooring is a great idea..

has anyone who has glued down tile or carpet or vinyl had issues with the plywood subfloor as a result?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:24 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
2004 25' International CCD
Bend , Oregon
Great question on the flooring.

There are a few other threads that discuss this issue. I evaluated and decided to go with sheet linoleum. Just so that it is said linoleum is much different than sheet vinyl. I used FORBO Artoleum festival yellow (same thing as marmoleum but no marbled pattern). If you are not going for a checker board pattern, sheet is a superior installation, no seams or few seams for water, shrinkage, etc. I have friends with tile lino in their homes and it is attractive, but not as nice as a sheet. The seams are the issue. Tile seams are not close to as what can be acheived with a sheet seam. If you get a good installer (Forbo certifies them) with a seam tool you can't see the seam unless you know where to look and look close. A drawback of sheet lino is that it is a tougher install and typically takes a pro. I did all my floor prep, made the pattern and cut the lino. The installer cut the seam and glued the flooring. I think I could have done the entire install if I had a seam tool. But I paid a pro for the install about the same amount as the cost of a seam tool.
When thinking about seams remember you are installing this product in a vehicle that flexes while in transit. Seams can open and let dirt in, then allow moisture in the seams... Not saying this is an absolute, but can happen. The negative of the sheet lino product is over time lino hardens and will most likely crack at any plywood seams in the trailer. I am familiar with a 6 year old lino install with no signs of cracks.

If you are looking for additional patterns you might try the Forbo lino product
Forbo Colors and Style or the artoleum collection Forbo Flooring - Prisma

Here is the link to the Forbo install guide http://www.forbolinoleumna.com/Modul...n%20manual.pdf
Old 12-08-2007, 06:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimitch
Have found some great retro Armstroing linoleum I would like to us in my 72 Safari, but the best colors are in tile and not sheet. I think I would prefer sheet becuase of the lessor number of seams. Does the tile show a lot of seams? Which looks better?
In time, the sheets will show cracks every 4 feet, exactly where the plywood floor seams are located.

Square tile is the best if you want tile. Make sure you seam the square tiles with the plywood seams.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
In time, the sheets will show cracks every 4 feet, exactly where the plywood floor seams are located.

Square tile is the best if you want tile. Make sure you seam the square tiles with the plywood seams.

Andy
Good point, Andy. I seen this effect in buildings. Again, your knowledge comes out for the good of us all.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

Andy
Apparently this means that 4) 12x12 inch tiles or 3) 16x16 inch tiles will fall at each seam? So are all Airstream floors laid out with 4" wide sheets of plywood laid longwise across the trailer width?
And do tiles come in those exact sizes or are they a bit under or over sized?

This would sure make installing a diagonal checkerboard a labor intensive job. So who needs a diagonal anyway?
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:57 PM   #11
69 Caravel

1969 18' Caravel
2009 23' International
2018 28' International
Bayfield , Colorado
I have used Marmoleum before in a remodel and more recently a retro tile. I like both, but agree the tiles are probably better for a vehicle being towed. Tiles went down easily and with tight seams and a speckled pattern the barely show.

Krista
Old 04-22-2008, 10:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I have vinyl squares in my bathroom. The seams are starting to show, and I'm getting some minor swelling of the wood under some of the seams. This is outside the shower and we are now careful to have a shower rug down when we step out.
If/when I redo the flooring in this area, I won't be putting in anything with so many seams.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Oakland , California
Tiles for the floor

I used 12X 12 tiles from Home Despot, self adhesive type. I went over a well vacuumed floor and all looked great until the first trip where a seam opened up, not over a plywood joint either. Strange, I pried up the tiles, replaced them nice and tight and all was good for the week I was in the trailer, moved the trailer about ten miles back home and the seam opened up again. I figure there is a gremlin moving the tiles when I tow the trailer.

The gap thats opening up is about 1/2" wide and right across the galley area, really, not over a plywood joint, almost in the middle of the sheet. Very strange, I like the Linoleum floor look and will be putting that down next time I get a chance to do some work on Bella. I figure a free floating front to back floor is going to be best.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!.

Dave
Gerlach Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:24 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
We need to redo our caravel's floor from carpet to?? What about a wood floor that uses the click system or the forbo click system, apparently no glue? any input would be appreciated.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerlach Dave View Post
I used 12X 12 tiles from Home Despot, self adhesive type. I went over a well vacuumed floor and all looked great until the first trip where a seam opened up, not over a plywood joint either. Strange, I pried up the tiles, replaced them nice and tight and all was good for the week I was in the trailer, moved the trailer about ten miles back home and the seam opened up again. I figure there is a gremlin moving the tiles when I tow the trailer.

The gap thats opening up is about 1/2" wide and right across the galley area, really, not over a plywood joint, almost in the middle of the sheet. Very strange, I like the Linoleum floor look and will be putting that down next time I get a chance to do some work on Bella. I figure a free floating front to back floor is going to be best.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!.

Dave
You might consider dropping some of the underbelly, and checking the condition of the frame.

It's possible that the frame is separating because of severe rust.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:46 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
sheet vs tile linoleum

Greetings Gail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gail View Post
We need to redo our caravel's floor from carpet to?? What about a wood floor that uses the click system or the forbo click system, apparently no glue? any input would be appreciated.
Five years ago, I had Armstrong laminate flooring with the integral pad installed in my Minuet over Armstrong Quiet Step underlayment. I am thrilled with the durability and easy cleaning of the product. I have what Armstrong called Light Wild Cherry as the finish, and it compliments the decor without competing -- my coach has many of its original Burnt Orange apointments and this did pose some difficulty. My coach also posed a challenge that you won't encounter -- my Minuet has composite aluminum floors attached with rows of rivets that had to be concealed by the floor covering.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:48 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Silverton , Oregon
I am finishing up renovation of interior on our 66 Caravel and am about to install the new floor. We have decided on marmoleum "Click" (Forbo) in the 12" squares. It will be a tan and gray checkerboard pattern. The floating floor idea makes sense to me. We shall see how it works out.

Mark
mrauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:11 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California
Please keep us posted. Many of us are about to take this step!

NUTZ
Old 11-19-2008, 06:48 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Many of our vintage trailers originally came with glue-down tiles. In the "unmolested" areas of my trailer, these are still present and have lasted 40+ years. Presumably these were glue-down, as I don't know how else they could have been adhered to the plywood subfloor?

I'm about to install a new floor myself, and have been considering 12" x 12" Armstrong VCT. Their "Arteffects" line has many attractive color options, and the pattern is designed such that it's very difficult to see the seams. Obviously a tight installation is necessary to produce the desired effect.

At less than $2/sqft this option makes sense to me, but if money were no object, then I'd be strongly tempted to install sheet linoleum.

Keep us posted on how your project goes.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:10 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Oakland , California
I'm liking all the input about the click it or strips with the glue edge floating floors. I have a friend put some strips down and when I shall find out.

I really like the idea of a front to back floating floor with no seams, hence my thoughts toward Linolium or Forbo Marmoleum. I'm hoping that there will be some posts from those who have been living with their choices fro a couple of years so we can see how it's holding up. The new flooring choices is what I'm interested in, click it and glue strip stuff.

Dave
Gerlach Dave is offline   Reply With Quote