Old 11-18-2008, 08:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerlach Dave View Post
I used 12X 12 tiles from Home Despot, self adhesive type. I went over a well vacuumed floor and all looked great until the first trip where a seam opened up, not over a plywood joint either. Strange, I pried up the tiles, replaced them nice and tight and all was good for the week I was in the trailer, moved the trailer about ten miles back home and the seam opened up again. I figure there is a gremlin moving the tiles when I tow the trailer.

The gap thats opening up is about 1/2" wide and right across the galley area, really, not over a plywood joint, almost in the middle of the sheet. Very strange, I like the Linoleum floor look and will be putting that down next time I get a chance to do some work on Bella. I figure a free floating front to back floor is going to be best.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!.

Dave
You might consider dropping some of the underbelly, and checking the condition of the frame.

It's possible that the frame is separating because of severe rust.

Andy

Old 11-18-2008, 08:46 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
sheet vs tile linoleum

Greetings Gail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gail View Post
We need to redo our caravel's floor from carpet to?? What about a wood floor that uses the click system or the forbo click system, apparently no glue? any input would be appreciated.
Five years ago, I had Armstrong laminate flooring with the integral pad installed in my Minuet over Armstrong Quiet Step underlayment. I am thrilled with the durability and easy cleaning of the product. I have what Armstrong called Light Wild Cherry as the finish, and it compliments the decor without competing -- my coach has many of its original Burnt Orange apointments and this did pose some difficulty. My coach also posed a challenge that you won't encounter -- my Minuet has composite aluminum floors attached with rows of rivets that had to be concealed by the floor covering.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:48 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Silverton , Oregon
I am finishing up renovation of interior on our 66 Caravel and am about to install the new floor. We have decided on marmoleum "Click" (Forbo) in the 12" squares. It will be a tan and gray checkerboard pattern. The floating floor idea makes sense to me. We shall see how it works out.

Mark
Old 11-18-2008, 11:11 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California
Please keep us posted. Many of us are about to take this step!

NUTZ
Old 11-19-2008, 07:48 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Many of our vintage trailers originally came with glue-down tiles. In the "unmolested" areas of my trailer, these are still present and have lasted 40+ years. Presumably these were glue-down, as I don't know how else they could have been adhered to the plywood subfloor?

I'm about to install a new floor myself, and have been considering 12" x 12" Armstrong VCT. Their "Arteffects" line has many attractive color options, and the pattern is designed such that it's very difficult to see the seams. Obviously a tight installation is necessary to produce the desired effect.

At less than $2/sqft this option makes sense to me, but if money were no object, then I'd be strongly tempted to install sheet linoleum.

Keep us posted on how your project goes.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:10 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Oakland , California
I'm liking all the input about the click it or strips with the glue edge floating floors. I have a friend put some strips down and when I shall find out.

I really like the idea of a front to back floating floor with no seams, hence my thoughts toward Linolium or Forbo Marmoleum. I'm hoping that there will be some posts from those who have been living with their choices fro a couple of years so we can see how it's holding up. The new flooring choices is what I'm interested in, click it and glue strip stuff.

Dave
Old 11-19-2008, 01:21 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Oakland , California
Andy,

Many thanks for the reply, I shall be looking at that next chance I get. There is what looks like a twist or warp through the floor which I have not had a chance to monkey with. The divider wall/bulkhead between the galley and center bedroom is not seated at the top where the walls curve into the roof, like the shell is tweaked but without any bumps and ripples on the outside. For the past few years the trailer only moved a few miles but in the future it will be making longer journeys and needs to have a good frame, axles, etc... and a nice floor!
Old 11-19-2008, 06:48 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Other options

I have been experimenting with industrial carpet tiles. They use an adhesive similiar to rubber cement. The tiles can be picked up and laid back down. I have been using them it the bathroom of the trailer. I can't see the seam.
I am thinking about using linoleum type tiles by the door, with a layer of masonite underneath them. I bought the floating snap Pergo wood laminate for the rest. I'll put a thick throw rug on top of the Pergo.
I wish that the sheet flooring came in a checker board pattern
Old 11-19-2008, 11:17 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Ok today we went to Home Depot and bought a new product they have Allure vinyl like tiles but more like strips. Commercial quality, hubby took a key and nothing happened to it. We have a dobe and he has nails no matter how short they mark our hardwood floors. We get our gal back from service in a few weeks and by then the interlocking strips we ordered should be in at Home depot. 2 boxes cost 192, the green had to be ordered 48 sq. feet total. I will keep you posted. it is a floating system and the material is used in garages. Hopefully we will have some great photos to share by then New year 2009.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:31 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Just tore the carpet out of mine. Wow, what a difference in the smell of the interior. That carpet was really bad. My floor looks to be in great shape, almost new, some water staining from leaks.

An prepping for the plywood recommended before doing Armstrong tiles?
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:38 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gail View Post
Ok today we went to Home Depot and bought a new product they have Allure vinyl like tiles but more like strips. Commercial quality, hubby took a key and nothing happened to it. We have a dobe and he has nails no matter how short they mark our hardwood floors. We get our gal back from service in a few weeks and by then the interlocking strips we ordered should be in at Home depot. 2 boxes cost 192, the green had to be ordered 48 sq. feet total. I will keep you posted. it is a floating system and the material is used in garages. Hopefully we will have some great photos to share by then New year 2009.
Gail--

There is a pretty extensive discussion on the Allure Trafficmaster vinyl planks, and you can find it here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f461...ter-41785.html

Good luck on your renovation, and keep us posted, with pics!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:07 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick View Post
Just tore the carpet out of mine. Wow, what a difference in the smell of the interior. That carpet was really bad. My floor looks to be in great shape, almost new, some water staining from leaks.

An prepping for the plywood recommended before doing Armstrong tiles?
If your installing over bare plywood:

- fill any deep cracks and bolt impressions with floor leveler - Durhams Rock Hard is cheap and easy to use

- seal the plywood with Jasco Adhesive Primer - 1 gallon should do 2 coats - it's water thin and looks like milk - just pour it on and slop it around with a wide paint brush - it dries quickly

- if your using a tile with no adhesive - follow the instructions for Armstrong's flooring adhesives - 2 quarts should do it

- for self adhesive tiles - still use the Armstrong adhesive - 1 quart should do - get a 2 or 3 inch chip brush and cut half the bristles off then just spread a thin coat in a random rough pattern

- get a cheap rubber head, hand floor roller to roll the tiles

- start walking on the floor as soon as possible to help it seal

The problem with adhered tiles on raw plywood is that the adhesive is absorbed off the tiles back down into the wood.... causing separation and peeling. This is especially in high heat like a trailer is subjected to. The Jasco stops that - helps water "proof" the wood and makes the tile easier to remove when you decide to change out. It's like sizing wallpaper.

Have fun....