Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Landenberg , Pennsylvania
Self adhesive tiles

Can self adhesive tiles handle the extreme temp and humidity changes in an airstream? do they peal up? anyone have experience with them? I am thinking of using them in the bathroom area.
dkrukosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you are speaking of floor tile. My answer would be NO!. The expansion and contraction would be a problem. When they contract, dirt would get in the space between and when they expand, they would pop up.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
I would not use them, period. I put some in an SOB once and they lasted about two years. I even used Weldwood contact to glue them down with. They started to separate and lift.

Last year we removed the carpeting in our '97 Excella's bathroom and put down some sheet vinyl with spray on contact cement. It has held up extremely well and this is what I would reccomend you do.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If they work or not I'm pretty sure an RV application would void any warrantee.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
I have used something like this in my bathroom, but...

I did not purchase individual tiles. I found some things at the local Home Depot that are (what looks like) 3 12"x12" ceramic tiles in one stick-down piece. Each one has a 1/2-thickness, 1" lip on either side so that as you lay them down, they adhere to each other. When installed correctly, they look like grouted ceramic tile. Pretty cool considering they were on the clearance rack! They've been in the rear bathroom of my Overlander for 3 camping seasons now and there's been no peeling, separating, or other issues. My Airstream is stored inside a barn, but it's not heated and we live in Ohio so the floor sees extreme temps and humidity.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I have used self stick tiles in two different trailers. I would not do it again. They don't stick well and the expansion and contraction lets sand and grit get between them. I ended up nailing down loose corners and reglued some with contact cement.

I have just replaced the front sub floor and used sheet vinyl which I allowed to float, No glue. The verdict is not in yet as we are just getting ready to head south, however it looks good and we have high hopes. We did the bath with sheet vinyl last year and so far much better than the tile.
Although the self stick tile did not stick well to the floor, when I took it up the residue on the floor stuck to my jeans very well.
Almost had one of those "I've fallen and can't get up" situations
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
A friend used self-stick vinyl planks in his Avion, and they did exactly what folks here are saying- they contracted, got grit in the joints, popped up, and over all looked like schist within a year or 2. I'd go with floating sheet goods, or click-together pergo, marmoleum, or cork.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Malden , Missouri
Reading this thread really surprises me. My '61 Bambi had the 12" square peal/stick tile. The PO covered the main floor with the versa-lock style floor, but the bathroom was untouched and is still holding well. I guess the stuff that they used in the original vintage ones was just a much better quality. I have been looking for the peel/stick in a vintage pattern so that I could remove the PO flooring, but I guess I'll keep what I've got now.
ragin-cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
The PO of my trailer put peal/stick tile in my trailer 6-8 years ago no problems yet.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Someone put vinyl 12x12 tile in our 1992's hall & bath. I don't know if it was "peel & stick" type or just regular vinyl tile with adhesive. I don't like the color, but it is extremely durable and stuck so well I bet it would not separate from the floor without damage to the floor. The seams are barely visible and don't gap at all. So, it worked for our PO.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote