Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Rubber Sheet Flooring

Hi all,
I just purchased and received 30' of rubber, rolled sheet flooring from Rubber-Cal. (I actually purchased via Overstock due to substancial savings.) I first ordered a 5' part to perform a "sniff test". Yes, it smelled like new tires but after a week, it disipated. And it flattend out very nicely. The dogs have been racing over it for about a month - leaving surface scratches. Well, not really scratches as they don't penetrate the rubber, but look more like scuffs or mars. I think they'd come out if I buffed the flooring. But I'm not about to add more labor to the upkeep of the tray'la. The scuffs aren't visible while standing - only on seated inspection. So, I like the look and watched the videos the mfg has on installation. Looks easy enough. They also say the pattern will match where I need to join (as it's just 4' wide).

"Diamond-Grip" Rolled Rubber Matting

I recall another member using this material and mentioning that they placed a thin (foam?) underlayment. I hadn't really planned to do that but maybe it would help a bit with insulation, smoothing of the wood subfloor and provide some very minimal cushion.

I went to Home Depot to look at underlayment. Found 2mm foam and 2.4mm foil backed something - both for laying under floating floors. Then the sales person mentioned maybe just placing thicker, fiberglass based vinyl flooring under. Hummmmmm - now I really don't know which, if any, I should use.

Do any of you have an suggestions/advice?

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
OMG - 148 views and no one has any opinion on what underlayment (if any) I should use. With everything else in my life I get tons of opinions - even when not requested.

So, still hoping some one cas offer input. I'm planning on putting the floor down this weekend and guess I'll just buy the cheapest underlayment if I get no responses...

Cheers!
Laura
Old 12-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Good morning Laura, glad to see you still have the Airstream bug. You know, the largest Canopener ever is just around the corner! Personally, I don't see much value in the underlayment assuming the flooring is as flexible as I think it is. i think the underlayment will make for a spongy feeling floor and might contribute to cracking. Good luck laying it, measure twice and cut once! See you at Canopener!
Old 12-04-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Hi Laura,
Been a long time.
Flooring caught my attention as we are always looking for an alternate, this one for you had the right price, checked site and it appears to be a quality product.
I noticed they use double stick tape for install, and show long runs with clear space, AS is very different configuration unless you have removed interior. underlayment would not be a good idea if you are going to do a butt edge, give, not accounted for on their install. If you are cutting around fixtures with that razor knife try to make a round corner cut rather than two staight line intersecting as you will have a lot of stress at the corner, have you tried a test by trying to rip it? 2mm of rubber probably wouldn't tear at a rounded corner but would at sharp angle if not it will strech and distort surface AS did it with the vinyl over plywood wallpaper where it was easy to see. Installed one piece vinyl a number of years ago and it was a perfect job, 20 yrs later, shrinkage is a problem and this is on a concrete floor with very small temp changes. You might solve some of the problem to eliminate shift by using their double stick tape more than just the edge with 4 ft between, in the mh they finished the tile floor edges with baseboard can you do the same?
Parking offer still stands if you are in the neighborhood.
Dave
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
We restored an Airstream a few years back at our shop and the customer requested a rubber mat like the one you have described, It went down easy and looked way better than most floors we have installed. HOWEVER, the rubber material off gassed and smelled up the trailer really bad on a hot sunny day, it was so bad the customer came back and we replaced it a year latter because the off gassing never stopped!
So be careful of the type of rubber mat you instal...
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtoaster View Post
Good morning Laura, glad to see you still have the Airstream bug. You know, the largest Canopener ever is just around the corner! Personally, I don't see much value in the underlayment assuming the flooring is as flexible as I think it is. i think the underlayment will make for a spongy feeling floor and might contribute to cracking. Good luck laying it, measure twice and cut once! See you at Canopener!
Canopener!!!!!!!!!! There is a tiny chance I could swing by.... getting laid off again and will probably head south. I know where the party will be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Hi Laura,
Been a long time.
Flooring caught my attention as we are always looking for an alternate, this one for you had the right price, checked site and it appears to be a quality product.
I noticed they use double stick tape for install, and show long runs with clear space, AS is very different configuration unless you have removed interior. underlayment would not be a good idea if you are going to do a butt edge, give, not accounted for on their install. If you are cutting around fixtures with that razor knife try to make a round corner cut rather than two staight line intersecting as you will have a lot of stress at the corner, have you tried a test by trying to rip it? 2mm of rubber probably wouldn't tear at a rounded corner but would at sharp angle if not it will strech and distort surface AS did it with the vinyl over plywood wallpaper where it was easy to see. Installed one piece vinyl a number of years ago and it was a perfect job, 20 yrs later, shrinkage is a problem and this is on a concrete floor with very small temp changes. You might solve some of the problem to eliminate shift by using their double stick tape more than just the edge with 4 ft between, in the mh they finished the tile floor edges with baseboard can you do the same?
Parking offer still stands if you are in the neighborhood.
Dave
Dave - thanks for the tips. As I said, might be heading south. Might take you up on an overnighter or two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post
We restored an Airstream a few years back at our shop and the customer requested a rubber mat like the one you have described, It went down easy and looked way better than most floors we have installed. HOWEVER, the rubber material off gassed and smelled up the trailer really bad on a hot sunny day, it was so bad the customer came back and we replaced it a year latter because the off gassing never stopped!
So be careful of the type of rubber mat you instal...
I saw mixed comments about the outgassing on this particular floor. The piece I purchased stunk for a week - then nothing. Granted, it wasn't excessively hot in the house during my check. My fingers are crossed that the outgassing doesn't resume during the summer.

-----------------------

I'll report back how the install goes.

Laura
Old 12-20-2014, 06:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Dang, it got flippin' cold -and rainy- quick here in Annapolis. I haven't had an acceptable weekend to work on the flooring. It seems that any day over 45 is mid week and work is really interferring. But I guess I've decided to use the very thin foam underneath - it will serve as a good pattern for cutting the rubber and provide some leveling. I've noticed that the 5' test piece I have laying on my wood floors in my home does show the "planks". It's every so slight but perceivable at the perfect angle....

BTW: even where it's on a floor/heat vent, there is no offensive rubber smell. I'm hoping that the final floor will outgas off all the odor as this test piece seems to have.

Cheers - Laura
Old 12-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
I'm not familiar with that product, but assuming you have a moisture meter, I would make sure you can probe through the material to the wood floor to check for leaks. If not, maybe initially stay with it laid loose at the perimeter?
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote