Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
funkill's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,447
Images: 27
Rubber Sheet Flooring

Hi all,
I just purchased and received 30' of rubber, rolled sheet flooring from Rubber-Cal. (I actually purchased via Overstock due to substancial savings.) I first ordered a 5' part to perform a "sniff test". Yes, it smelled like new tires but after a week, it disipated. And it flattend out very nicely. The dogs have been racing over it for about a month - leaving surface scratches. Well, not really scratches as they don't penetrate the rubber, but look more like scuffs or mars. I think they'd come out if I buffed the flooring. But I'm not about to add more labor to the upkeep of the tray'la. The scuffs aren't visible while standing - only on seated inspection. So, I like the look and watched the videos the mfg has on installation. Looks easy enough. They also say the pattern will match where I need to join (as it's just 4' wide).

"Diamond-Grip" Rolled Rubber Matting

I recall another member using this material and mentioning that they placed a thin (foam?) underlayment. I hadn't really planned to do that but maybe it would help a bit with insulation, smoothing of the wood subfloor and provide some very minimal cushion.

I went to Home Depot to look at underlayment. Found 2mm foam and 2.4mm foil backed something - both for laying under floating floors. Then the sales person mentioned maybe just placing thicker, fiberglass based vinyl flooring under. Hummmmmm - now I really don't know which, if any, I should use.

Do any of you have an suggestions/advice?

Laura
__________________

__________________
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
funkill's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,447
Images: 27
OMG - 148 views and no one has any opinion on what underlayment (if any) I should use. With everything else in my life I get tons of opinions - even when not requested.

So, still hoping some one cas offer input. I'm planning on putting the floor down this weekend and guess I'll just buy the cheapest underlayment if I get no responses...

Cheers!
Laura
__________________

__________________
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Roadtoaster's Avatar
 
2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 807
Good morning Laura, glad to see you still have the Airstream bug. You know, the largest Canopener ever is just around the corner! Personally, I don't see much value in the underlayment assuming the flooring is as flexible as I think it is. i think the underlayment will make for a spongy feeling floor and might contribute to cracking. Good luck laying it, measure twice and cut once! See you at Canopener!
__________________
Greg
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
DaveFL's Avatar
 
2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,479
Images: 15
Hi Laura,
Been a long time.
Flooring caught my attention as we are always looking for an alternate, this one for you had the right price, checked site and it appears to be a quality product.
I noticed they use double stick tape for install, and show long runs with clear space, AS is very different configuration unless you have removed interior. underlayment would not be a good idea if you are going to do a butt edge, give, not accounted for on their install. If you are cutting around fixtures with that razor knife try to make a round corner cut rather than two staight line intersecting as you will have a lot of stress at the corner, have you tried a test by trying to rip it? 2mm of rubber probably wouldn't tear at a rounded corner but would at sharp angle if not it will strech and distort surface AS did it with the vinyl over plywood wallpaper where it was easy to see. Installed one piece vinyl a number of years ago and it was a perfect job, 20 yrs later, shrinkage is a problem and this is on a concrete floor with very small temp changes. You might solve some of the problem to eliminate shift by using their double stick tape more than just the edge with 4 ft between, in the mh they finished the tile floor edges with baseboard can you do the same?
Parking offer still stands if you are in the neighborhood.
Dave
__________________
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
vinstream's Avatar
 
1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 624
Images: 2
We restored an Airstream a few years back at our shop and the customer requested a rubber mat like the one you have described, It went down easy and looked way better than most floors we have installed. HOWEVER, the rubber material off gassed and smelled up the trailer really bad on a hot sunny day, it was so bad the customer came back and we replaced it a year latter because the off gassing never stopped!
So be careful of the type of rubber mat you instal...
__________________
www.VINSTREAM.com
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
WBCCI # 1962
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
funkill's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,447
Images: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtoaster View Post
Good morning Laura, glad to see you still have the Airstream bug. You know, the largest Canopener ever is just around the corner! Personally, I don't see much value in the underlayment assuming the flooring is as flexible as I think it is. i think the underlayment will make for a spongy feeling floor and might contribute to cracking. Good luck laying it, measure twice and cut once! See you at Canopener!
Canopener!!!!!!!!!! There is a tiny chance I could swing by.... getting laid off again and will probably head south. I know where the party will be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Hi Laura,
Been a long time.
Flooring caught my attention as we are always looking for an alternate, this one for you had the right price, checked site and it appears to be a quality product.
I noticed they use double stick tape for install, and show long runs with clear space, AS is very different configuration unless you have removed interior. underlayment would not be a good idea if you are going to do a butt edge, give, not accounted for on their install. If you are cutting around fixtures with that razor knife try to make a round corner cut rather than two staight line intersecting as you will have a lot of stress at the corner, have you tried a test by trying to rip it? 2mm of rubber probably wouldn't tear at a rounded corner but would at sharp angle if not it will strech and distort surface AS did it with the vinyl over plywood wallpaper where it was easy to see. Installed one piece vinyl a number of years ago and it was a perfect job, 20 yrs later, shrinkage is a problem and this is on a concrete floor with very small temp changes. You might solve some of the problem to eliminate shift by using their double stick tape more than just the edge with 4 ft between, in the mh they finished the tile floor edges with baseboard can you do the same?
Parking offer still stands if you are in the neighborhood.
Dave
Dave - thanks for the tips. As I said, might be heading south. Might take you up on an overnighter or two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post
We restored an Airstream a few years back at our shop and the customer requested a rubber mat like the one you have described, It went down easy and looked way better than most floors we have installed. HOWEVER, the rubber material off gassed and smelled up the trailer really bad on a hot sunny day, it was so bad the customer came back and we replaced it a year latter because the off gassing never stopped!
So be careful of the type of rubber mat you instal...
I saw mixed comments about the outgassing on this particular floor. The piece I purchased stunk for a week - then nothing. Granted, it wasn't excessively hot in the house during my check. My fingers are crossed that the outgassing doesn't resume during the summer.

-----------------------

I'll report back how the install goes.

Laura
__________________
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
funkill's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,447
Images: 27
Dang, it got flippin' cold -and rainy- quick here in Annapolis. I haven't had an acceptable weekend to work on the flooring. It seems that any day over 45 is mid week and work is really interferring. But I guess I've decided to use the very thin foam underneath - it will serve as a good pattern for cutting the rubber and provide some leveling. I've noticed that the 5' test piece I have laying on my wood floors in my home does show the "planks". It's every so slight but perceivable at the perfect angle....

BTW: even where it's on a floor/heat vent, there is no offensive rubber smell. I'm hoping that the final floor will outgas off all the odor as this test piece seems to have.

Cheers - Laura
__________________
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master
 
1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 546
I'm not familiar with that product, but assuming you have a moisture meter, I would make sure you can probe through the material to the wood floor to check for leaks. If not, maybe initially stay with it laid loose at the perimeter?
__________________

__________________
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for sheet vinyl flooring from 2006 AS Rollster Floor Finishes 1 03-30-2014 09:28 PM
rubber flooring lafuente Floor Finishes 5 09-07-2010 09:15 PM
Sheet flooring...Glue down or float? soldiermedic Floor Finishes 26 03-04-2010 01:55 PM
Industrial rubber flooring Mike S Floor Finishes 6 05-03-2008 08:11 PM
Marmoleum Flooring -Sheet or tile njunear Floor Finishes 6 04-23-2008 12:26 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.