Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Omaha , Nebraska
Rubber Floor

I found a nice looking interlocking rubber flooring at Lowes. It is called flex something or other. No glue, looks very durable, slate look. Has anyone tried this product? Looks perfect for AS.
Olivebranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivebranch View Post
I found a nice looking interlocking rubber flooring at Lowes. It is called flex something or other. No glue, looks very durable, slate look. Has anyone tried this product? Looks perfect for AS.
I just looked at those squares yesterday. I think they are intended for workshop and garage flooring. I never even thought of using them in an A/S. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Google "Lowe's rubber floor" or "Lowe's rubber tiles" and you'll get more information. Interesting because rubber is easy on your feet. They also have 4' x 10' sheets, but they are all black. The tiles come in various colors, but the ones I saw from the search weren't all that attractive. They are also quite expensive. My guess is our 25' FB would need 2 packages (45 sq' each) at $353.47 for each package. That's not counting trim.

I have been interested in replacing the vinyl floor in our Safari, but the stopper is doing the trim. Tiles go down easily, but the trim requires more effort and creativity. Floors need an expansion space at all the walls, partitions and cabinets, and the space must be covered by trim. That is not all that easy in a trailer.

Nonetheless, next time we are in the "not so big" city, we'll have to see what they have. Rubber floor tiles have not been carried by the big box stores in the past, and when we did our kitchen, I was interested in using them, but they were too hard to find in not so big city of Grand Jct.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #4

1985 25' Sovereign
Placitas , New Mexico
I'm looking at doing the same thing. IT Tiles with a hidden interlocking system. Looks pretty trick to me. My concern would be the offgassing of the product. I will most likely lay them on a drop cloth in the sunshine for a few days to let them "cure". Commercial product, can be used in garages and gym--looks super durable to me.
wilmaflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Very interested to see and hear how that goes. There are some great recycled rubber products out there, maybe they've offgassed from the initial manufacturing if they're recycled ECOsurfaces Commercial Flooring - Design Responsibly.
I used cork in my trailer because I had it, and I like the idea of the rubber in part for insulation. The soft floors are awesome.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Seven Valleys , Pennsylvania
I got a roll end of the Ecosurface rubber flooring after talking with fellow WDCU member Nick6930 here on the board. He was also considering it for his camper & I beat him to it. So far we love the stuff, flexible, thick enough to be forgiving of imperfections in the original wood that was under the tile. I filled in rough spots with epoxy. I also left the cabinets in place. You have to use their releasable glue at $100 for a 2 gallon bucket & I paid around $250 for the flooring. I liked the idea of using Marmoleum but talked to people that had it crack on them when it dried out a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2795.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	156275   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2788.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	156276  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2790.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	156277  
scarylarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Are those rubber tiles? I can't seem any seams. It looks a little too utilitarian for our taste, but does look good. Nice work.

Gene
Old 04-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I too would be concerned about the off-gasing of the rubber flooring. I love the look, and have used rubber floors in my work, but in an enclosed tight space that gets baked in the sun? I would think the rubber smell would hit you like walking into a tire store - not a smell I want in my trailers.

On the other hand, we have had sheet Marmoleum professionally installed on solid floors in two trailers and loved it. No problem with cracking or delaminating at all over ten years.

On my SOB trailer I am currently restoring, I am going with cork for a different look - I'm anxious to see how that compares to the Marmoleum over time.

Looks good scarylarry! Does it have that "rubber smell" or is the recycled product less odiferous?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
No smell at all, same with the glue.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Are those rubber tiles? I can't seem any seams. It looks a little too utilitarian for our taste, but does look good. Nice work.

Gene

They do them in a tile but mine is roll. The roll is 4' wide.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I, for one, love the smell of a tire store

That looks awesome, I love the color! Can't wait to hear how it wears over time.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I do to Steph...in a tire store! Not with my eggs, bacon & cinnamon rolls first thing in the morning ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Van Wert , Ohio
I think the flooring looks awesome. Our 2011 16' Bambi Sport came with a rubber flooring and we just love the easy care it takes....I love the color.
hissilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
3 months out with the rubber flooring & still no "tire store" smell. Love it!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
san antonio , Texas
Anxious to learn how those rubber interlocking floor tiles have worked out. We are considering this for our 25' Safari. We have dogs and wonder if the flooring could withstand paws?
judybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #16

1985 25' Sovereign
Placitas , New Mexico
Interlocking Flooring

We tore the 2 layers of carpet off to partially rotton floor boards fore and aft. After replacing the new wood, we painted a "water proofing" base on the wood--(I would recommend an oil based "Poxy Coat") and then put a vapor barrier that had small bead of styrofoam on it.

Then the flooring--

I LOVE IT! Easy to install--no glues or adhesives--just a rubber mallot to set the hidden joints. I had no problems with off gassing. The leather texture just improves with wear and it cleans up with Mr. Clean and is VERY easy to maintain.

Downside--it isn't water proof and the tile edges will leak with large amounts of water or long duration. Easy to clean, pick the tiles up and dry.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #17

1985 25' Sovereign
Placitas , New Mexico
Dog friendly-- yes! The flooring is easy to clean. Not to say it takes less cleaning—the dirt IS more noticeable. I have a small broom and a dust buster. EASY! If you are concerned with "accidents", I have to say--the seams will leak. Just un-snap the tiles, clean, dry and snap back. If it got under the vapor barrier there is a possibility it got to the sub floor. Is the sub floor water proof? If it is, then I’d say that was an easier clean up, than on carpet.

My caveat would be to completely seal the wood sub floor with an oil based urethane. We used a water based "water proofer" that was red in color. I would not do this again. It was not effective enough. During construction, I had a cracked plastic glass of water on the counter, and it dripped a slow leak overnight and heaved the sub floor—through the red sealer.

I recommend *Poxy Coat II. I think I paid $80 a gallon. Thin the first coat 1:1 with the thinner, and paint it on generously until it doesn't accept any more. Don't forget to soak the edges around eveything, so the urethane seeps under the bulkhead, partitions, walls, and particularly the outside edge. This draws the sealer deep into the wood. Let it dry and release the fumes. Yes, there will be fumes. Take caution. Put on a generous, but not pooling second coat of the "Poxy Coat II” and let it cure/set/dry. You could play “Slip and Slide” on this now!

*I use this product to seal flagstone shower floors, using the same application as recommended above. It is water proof if applied correctly.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #18
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Make sure any sealant used on the subfloor will work in extreme temps (unless you have a heated and air conditioned garage for your trailer). An exterior sealant such as a spar urethane should work.

Gene