Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2010, 03:00 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Georgetown , Texas
Question Resilient Flooring Guide

We've decided that we want to replace the flooring in the 1999 25' Safari we recently purchased. I believe we've settled generally on some sort of resilient flooring in light colored plank tiles. We'd like a decent quality - at least a little bit better than the Allure Traffic Master. After much research and discussion with installers, we are leaning toward a glued down rather than floating floor.

I also would prefer to have a more natural material like linoleum or a "greener" material that will not off-gas with so much of the VOCs. I've seen linoleums, vinyls, cushioned vinyls like Naturcor that are supposed to limit shrinkage and expansion while providing a cushioned floor and other types of flooring like fiberfloor by Tarkett. I'm not sure I know really what's available in various fiberglass-backed or newer synthetic kinds of flooring.

Can you advise me on a medium or high quality resilient floor material that meets our minimum requirements of coming in plank tiles, allowing installation with adhesive, and it looks realistic, of course. I also have two small dogs.

I can't get my head around what brands and/or types would be best. Thanks for your help.

Karen.
tawakoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:16 AM   #2
64GlobeTrotter68Overlande

1964 19' Globetrotter
1969 27' Overlander
Snohomish , Washington
I'm not sure I know what a plank tile is, but if it's what I think this solution may help. We just replace the old tiles in our 64 Globetrotter with bamboo lock together flooring. It looks awesome and is pre-finished varnish. Takes a little skill for trimming. Hope this is of some help.

Paul
man7sell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
i would be very very of gluing a floor down. A floating floor works better in a trailer. The trailer will move and flex. Plus if you ever want to change it again?? pulling up the old one is tough. I used a pergo style, it looks great and is very durable. I used a light maple color.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have had Allure in my trailer for over a year. It was an easy install, and looks great.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Georgetown , Texas
When I say plank - that is what they call tiles that are in the shape of planks - the long rectangles. I appreciate your replies but I'm really looking for some information on vinyl and linoleum and similar options.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
I love my glue down cork floor from Globus Cork. I full time and it has shown no wear so far. It is water and insect resistant, easy to cut, easy to lay, and you can get it any color you like and any tile size you like. The trailer has over 10000 miles on it since I glued it down, with no damage from trailer movement, expansion, etc.

Go here for my installation thread with lots of photos: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f468...-se-56222.html
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Carlsbad , California
Hi - Kinda spendy but I just covered the floor of our camping trailer with vinyl planks by Centiva. Vinyl Tile Flooring >> Vinyl Floor Tiles | Commercial Vinyl Floor Tile by Centiva I wanted a dark floor so I went with the "Vintage Inn". Used their Centi 6000 SP glue (solvent free floor adhesive). A water based adhesive.
Researched quite a while....I am so happy with the results.
I have detected no odor from either the glue or vinyl (left the windows open a couple days right after install).
I wound up having a professional install it for me (I had connections :-) )
The floor is bulletproof..in fact cutting it was the hard part...had to heat it first.
Went right over the sheet vinyl because it seemed like it was down tight and running under cabinets and all. Maybe that will be a mistake in the long term, but so far the new floor is nice and flat and looks good.
Visually the best looking floor I saw. I'll see if I can add some photos. Went dark, but they have plenty of light and other options. Great wood grain effects.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	106125   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	106126  

Name:	IMG_0007.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	106127  
lacosta31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:13 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Aliso Viejo , California
LaCosta,
Your floor looks great. I just pulled out the floor in my 22" and am looking for options. I couldnt find yours on the website you linked. Did you purchase it locally? I'm not too far from you. Pat
Davern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #9

1973 31' Sovereign
Waller , Texas
We have used the plank linoleum in a house application. It was a floating, click/lock plank. Loved it. I am not sure why you would want a glue down.

We are just starting the reno of our 73 Sovereign and will use floating, plank bamboo in it, instead.

Those are the only two floor finishes I would consider "green". We looked at the Allure, but it is vinyl and will offgas as such. We opted for the bamboo over the linoleum partly on price and partly on availability. It's about $3sq. ft at Costco. Linoleum is usually upwards of $5.
farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:22 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawakoni1 View Post
When I say plank - that is what they call tiles that are in the shape of planks - the long rectangles. I appreciate your replies but I'm really looking for some information on vinyl and linoleum and similar options.
that is what Trafficmaster Allure is. Planks of vinyl that look like wood and you can cut with a scissor or razor knife. Easy to trim and install, glued on the edges so they attach to each other.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Goose Creek , South Carolina
You will get 2 trains of thought on this subject, glue down and floating.
There are no problems with a glue down floor. I installed mine years ago and even used tumbled limestone tile in the entry and bath. Both have held up well over thousands of miles towing. The biggest issue with glue downs is prep and using a good adhesive, I personaly am not a big fan of waterbased adhesives. For tile, epoxy thinset and grout have held up great.
Many have used a floading floor and seem to be happy. Pergo and such can be layed over existing glue down floors except for carpet, so minimal prep is required. The hardest part of that install would be covering the gap along the edges where the floor meets the build ins and walls. This is normally done with a 1/4 round molding to hold the floor down.In case of a curved section of wall, I would suggest either using a flex mold or using a good quality caulk to seal the gap.
Since you expresed interest in a glue down, take a look at cork flooring. It is a very durable product, has great looks, and is very nice to walk on.
Holzarbeiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I love the cork as well, had it in my Classic Moho it was durable and looked great.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:17 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Georgetown , Texas
Thanks for all the thoughts - we decided on the Adura vinyl planks and found someone to install it (glue down) for a fairly reasonable cost. But, WOW, the first couple of people really wanted to fleece us and we were about to do it ourselves! We found a nice place that's been in town 50 yrs and we liked the people. Can't wait - in about a week we will have the new floor and a reupholstered couch with matching fabric on the panel and valences! I will post pictures when we have finished. It will look great! We are almost ready to go on our first big adventure!
Old 07-15-2010, 11:43 PM   #14
Aluminegg

2008 19' Safari SE
Vancouver 2010 , BC - The Best Place On Earth
Best of both worlds..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawakoni1 View Post
Thanks for all the thoughts - we decided on the Adura vinyl planks and found someone to install it (glue down) for a fairly reasonable cost. But, WOW, the first couple of people really wanted to fleece us and we were about to do it ourselves! We found a nice place that's been in town 50 yrs and we liked the people. Can't wait - in about a week we will have the new floor and a reupholstered couch with matching fabric on the panel and valences! I will post pictures when we have finished. It will look great! We are almost ready to go on our first big adventure!
Glad you settled on something. Just a thought for you, you might want to consider using a release adhesive to put this down. You spread the glue, wait approx 30-45 minutes for the glue to dry, then install the vinyl planks. This method still insures the floor is stuck down, but if you damage a plank or need access underneath, you can easily remove a plank and re-intall. (Think "post it note") Two things to consider...1)make sure the manufacturer approves of this type of install for their products, and 2) make sure the adhesive is dry before installing. If you put the planks in while the adhesive is still wet, it will take Arnold Schwarzenegger (in his younger days) to remove it. (A product called Mapei 810 will do the trick.)
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:08 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Georgetown , Texas
Finished Refurbishing!

We've finished redecorating/refurbishing the AS! Here is a link to where I posted everything we did. Below is a pic of the floor!
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...tml#post880302
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0079.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	108249  
Old 08-07-2010, 05:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Looks fantastic - you guys did a beautiful job!
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, resilient, tarkett, vinyl