Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
Smile Requesting Advice on Laminate Flooring

We are considering replacing the carpet in our 98 Classic Excella with wood grain laminate flooring. Would appreciate any experiences , both pro & con, with such installation. Should the laminate be floated, or glued down, over the subfloor when installed in a trailer? We are thinking about using a lighter colour wood grain to contrast with the existing oak cabinetry. Also considering the narrow plank format (4") to give a more realistic look. As we are in the northeast, on the ocean, we are subject to a wide range of temperatures & humidity conditions.
Atlantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Atlantica:

NEVER glue laminate. Always float it on the cushion foam sold for that purpose. Leave 1/8 to 1/4 inch all around the perimeter for expansion.

Don’t buy the glue-together type. Use the best quality “click” type.

In a small area like a trailer, the cost for better quality does not add up to much but the difference in serviceability is dramatic.

"Engineered wood" clicks together just like laminate but it's surface is real wood, not a photograph of wood. It doesn't cost too much more than good laminate.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
You could also consider cork. It comes in light colors. Available in the floating, engineered, click together type.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I am doing the laminate right now, in my 78 Sovereign. I bought an inexpensive oak from Lumber Liquidators, 10 yr warranty on it and less than 1.00 a sq foot. About 100 will do my trailer....with the foam underlayment.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:06 AM   #5
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
There is also Marmoleum Click. A click together floating marmoleum floor at http://www.themarmoleumstore.com.

This is what we are using in theVAP restoration project.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:15 AM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
I am doing the laminate right now, in my 78 Sovereign. I bought an inexpensive oak from Lumber Liquidators, 10 yr warranty on it and less than 1.00 a sq foot. About 100 will do my trailer....with the foam underlayment.
Great price. I did 600 sq ft in my house with Pergo five years ago (still looks great!) and I shopped around alot, cost me a little over 2 per foot. It also weighs about 2 lbs per sq ft. Have fun! the stuff is tough to cut. I used a DeWalt compound miter with a 12" blade. It was just big enough to get a full straight cut.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
O.K. all you woodworker types. I'm also thinking of doing Airstream One over my down time this Dec/Jan. I've long been a fan of marquetery and wonder if anyone has used contrasting borders or medallion inserts in conjunction with the laminate flooring.
I feel the straight lam. flooring might just be a bit....boring but that's just me.
Ideas?
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 06:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
my home flooring is WilsonARt laminate. Not cheap but has held up like iron over 10 yrs. When we extended it last year the same color and style was available,making it easier to match.
In the trailer I spent less thinking this might be something that I would change in a few years, as remodeling is much easier in the 31 than in the house.
I am sort of thinking about running it sideways in the living area, and the long way in the middle to the bedroom in the back. Seen that in some house it looks good. Any thoughts?
Also I bought 100 feet of underlayment and ran 8 sqare short. Any suggestions of what I could use need instead, as I don't another 100'sq ft.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 07-15-2006, 06:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
... I've long been a fan of marquetery and wonder if anyone has used contrasting borders or medallion inserts in conjunction with the laminate flooring. I feel the straight lam. flooring might just be a bit....boring but that's just me.
Ideas?
If I understand what you're thinking of doing, I don't think it's possible. Since the flooring floats, it clicks together on all edges (this means the ends), so the only edges you can trim are the outside trim lines of the floor. You can't insert pieces. I haven't checked, but you might be able to do herringbone, but that's about all.

In other news, I've done a couple floors (Bambi, Caravel, Overlander, doing the Sovereign now) and I recommend putting in some natural "breaks" in the flooring so that each section can be removed independently. I use the metal strips that are usually used to joing flooring to carpet to cover the joint, about 3/4" wide and brass-colored. My experience is that this stuff lasts a long time, but if you need to do work on the subfloor (around the door, for example) you can get at it without taking out the entire flooring. I separated my front dinning area, the kitchen, the bedroom, and the bath (rear bath Overlander). The joints make for natural breaks visually between these areas.

In the Sovereign you can see how the bath is separated. Most of this joint will be covered by two wall panels. Take out the wall panels and the floor comes right up.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/242047-post1.html
Old 07-15-2006, 07:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium

... I recommend putting in some natural "breaks" in the flooring so that each section can be removed independently. I use the metal strips that are usually used to joing flooring to carpet to cover the joint, about 3/4" wide and brass-colored. My experience is that this stuff lasts a long time, but if you need to do work on the subfloor (around the door, for example) you can get at it without taking out the entire flooring. I separated my front dinning area, the kitchen, the bedroom, and the bath (rear bath Overlander). The joints make for natural breaks visually between these areas.
Absolutely a must!

I installed it lengthways as I wasn't sure it would look good side to side. http://www.airforums.com/forum...41-post52.html. After seeing other members pics of laying it side to side I see that it still looks great.

After a recent 1600 mile trip, I wish I had installed it side to side or put in natural "breaks". The frame in my 26' evidently flexes enough that my flooring is buckling at the ends (lenghtwise) joints. I'm going to have to pull it up and replace most of it. When I redo it, I think I'll do each "room" seperately. i.e. living room, kitchen, bedroom/bathrom. That should give it enough flex room without buckling at the joints. (I'll try and post a picture of the buckling later today).
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
It buckles because the frame flexes mostly across the axle(s), eg, nose and tail up and down. You can lay the laminate lengthwise in the front and rear, but not over the axles and a few feet on either side. I can actually feel a slight bend in the floor in both my Overlander and Sovereign right at the axles as I walk, but no sign of tail separation. That was my first clue that sideways was the way to do it.

I don't think this would be a problem in an 18 or 19 ft trailer, but longer than that I'd always go with sideways laminate.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
well after two days in 95 degree heat I, the world's most mediocre carpenter, with the email and pm advice of a few great members here...have got my oak laminate installed in the living and kitchen areas. Only the hall remains, as I think I will use Berber in the bedroom. I have some left from my motorhome install, so it will feel nostalgic.
I have not settled the battery box issue, so I will need to do that and finish the walls before putting back the gaucho and table.

http://www.airforums.com/photo...=2075#post2075
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 07-17-2006, 06:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Looks Great!
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 07-17-2006, 07:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Alan,
Looks very nice, too bad there is no dog house for you to cover.
What happens at the refrigerator? When I install the laminate flooring we have the refrigerator will be under the floor which means if it ever needs replacing the floor must come out.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:05 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I stopped the laminate just under the front of the fridge. I did not want to move it, especially on my own. I ran it under the cabinet edges and so on.
No doghouse to contend with. Made it easier, but being the poorly trained carpenter that I am, the many small protuding edges and angles were enough challenge for me. Also snapping in the laminate when a tighter fit under cabinet edges on two sides was hard to get done.
I used a small cut off piece and a rubber mallet to hit them together in those spots.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 07-18-2006, 10:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
ok, so it wasn't later the same day, but 3 days later. Here's a pic of what happens if you install legthwise without "breaks" in between. This is only 1600 miles after the install where it looked beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0372.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	23702  
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 07-19-2006, 02:29 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
floor

Nice job, it looks great. Good job!!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:50 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
There are three grades of padding, get the best, I got mine at Home Depot it is red and white. I was told it is just like carpet, the better the padding the longer the floor will last. We really enjoyed ours till we sold the trailer.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 06:21 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
HD told me they only sell the red and white stuff now. I had already bought that thinner blue foam.Hopefully it will hold up ok. I installed across the trailer, but of course I had not measured that way originally so I ran out before the bedroom. On a positive note, I was thinking of carpet in the bedroom anyway and now that is what I will do.

Think its necessary to have a space around all the planks where they meet the walls? I do have a few that are snug, but could trim the ends a little more.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 07-27-2006, 09:35 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Birmingham , Alabama
I installed laminate 3 yrs ago in 1995 30 ft Classic, with NO PROBLEMS so far, and looks GREAT.
There are a couple of photos of the floor in the set I posted on Members Photos recently with pics of my drooping ceiling repair.
To find them, just search Members Photos for 'Ken10' under member name search.

Ken Harrell