Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari S/O
Colchester , Vermont
Replacing Carpet in Slide Out Models

I am interested in replacing carpet in our 2004 28' Safari S/O Model. I have been told by some that carpet is required with Slide out Model, at least under the slide. We are interested in replacing carpet with a different flooring, in particular, Marmoleum. Has anyone done this before?
jchodgdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Removing Carpet

We replaced the carpet in our 30' SO some years ago without any problems. Take a stiff piece of flat metal several inches wide and probably 2 feet long and ram it under the slide while open. This will loosen the carpet and it will pull straight out. We replaced our carpet with a laminate. Surprisingly when I weighed the carpet and pad removed it was slightly heavier than the laminate with pad that I replaced it with. There is a set of steel rollers that you will have to work around when replacing the flooring. We made a cardboard template, cut the flooring, slid it into place. You should use care not to cover up the water drain holes on each side of the slide.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Looking under my slide it appears that the vinyl floor (factory installed new)
only covers what shows with the slide slid out and perhaps 6 inches under the dinette. Bare ply wood floor is visible under the middle area of the dinette.
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch.
Pulled by a 2019 F350 Superduty Limited.
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari S/O
Colchester , Vermont
Thanks to both of you. Will proceed with the process, and let you know how it turns out. I am a bit leary of all this, but sure will go over the options with the folks doing all the real work.
Jeff
jchodgdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I'd love to take out the carpet, and have the 'sheet' flooring through-out.

Typically, there's three methods to install this type of flooring. Full glue down, edge glue, full floating. It appears A/S used a full floating install. With that, the floor sheet is underneath all the furniture- out to out.

You can see the sheet is right up to the edge, under the plastic wheel well cover, under the water pump.

With a full float install, I can't seam a new section (even if I did match the color/print) where the carpet was removed. It would be way too conspicuous, nor advised by manufacturer

So that means removing all the base cabinets, shower enclosure, refrigerator, partitions, sofa, etc... to remove the existing, and install new.

Now I see why J/C quoted me +$4000
Old 04-23-2018, 10:25 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Spanaway , Washington
we have a 30' Classic with S/O. questions 1. is there a pad under the carpet? 2. Can leave the cabinets, etc in place just cut out the old and glue in the new carpet? how far under the S/O when fully out, do the carpet have to cover?

bob.capt.bob
bob.capt.bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I wonder if there's any updates on this?

Has anyone else tackled this project in their S/O?
Old 01-18-2021, 11:19 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic S/O
Woodside , California
2007 Slideout Carpet Situation

Will update this old thread with what I have so far. My 2007 is in fine shape but the carpet was a little dated. I was hoping the vinyl went from stem to stern and all the way to the sides of the trailer, since all the existing exposed vinyl is in great shape and I think the lighter color makes the trailer feel bigger and I can always add accent rugs.

Turns out the vinyl doesn't go all the way under the slideout and doesn't extend to the front of the trailer under the sofa. It was easy to pull up. The aluminum transition is screwed in so that left some big holes I will try and fill with a vinyl repair kit I have on order. Fortunately they didn't use staples anywhere else than the edges so there aren't a lot of staple holes to repair.

I've got new carpet on order thinking will do a strip in front of the sofa (the new "living room" and on the slideout to tie them together. I was going to do a new vinyl floor on the slideout but figured it might make sense to have some insulation there since the floor looks to be mostly cold metal. In one picture you can see I used a hacksaw blade to get under the slide out to remove the carpet since it looks like it was stapled in before the slideout was put in. Removing the slideout carpet doesn't look difficult, except the face you can see was staple to the under side - again probably before the slideout was inserted so not sure what I will encounter getting it removed there.

And, if all of it doesn't look right I can always redo all the flooring with new vinyl strips, but thought I would see if I could make it attractive with an intermediate step first. There will be some wood trim involved once I get the carpet in place. If I remember will try and post the results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210118_215557.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	387209   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210118_215619.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	387210  

Name:	20210118_215522.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	366.7 KB
ID:	387211   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210117_180043.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	354.9 KB
ID:	387212  

Name:	20210117_164650.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	387213  
Oasf60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:51 AM   #9
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
S/O Carpet Replacement

Hi Oasf60!

Welcome to the forums! Your "freshen up" the floor work looks great! Please update with new pictures as you work through the process. It's great to see the details and finished product. Gives others ideas and motivation to move forward with their own.

There are over 100 Slide-Out Owners grouped together on a "Slide-Out Registry" thread. It's a fun place for S/O Owners to share info and compare notes. This link will get you to the last post: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f36...ml#post2442879. No costs, no obligations, S/O Owners posting to the thread automatically "Slides" you into the group, LOL. It's the only place you can get your "Official" Slide-Out ###.

Seriously though, nice work with your S/O. We've had our 08 Classic almost 5 years now, seems like we just got it. The space the Slide-Out creates is special.

Enjoy the adventure!

Tom - S/OS #025
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote