Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2004, 08:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Removing the old carpet - toilets & closets

I'm removing the carpet in preparation to put Pergo down. I've seen several threads on this, but I have some questions on the details.

I have a 94 Excella (I bought it from John in Florida - you may know him). It's in excellent shape, but the original carpets need to go. I'm tearing them out and the game plan has been to cut the carpet at the edges of the cabinets & closets. That will leave carpet underneath everything - but it will get covered up by the Pergo. Is that how everyone else is doing it? Otherwise it's a tremendous amount of work & I'd just end up shimming everything.

What about the toilet area? For starters, I don't see how to remove it, but the carpet goes underneath the toilet too! Attaching a couple of pictures - one of the toilet area & the other of the edges around the cupboards.

Thanks in advance....

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toilet.JPG
Views:	653
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	6889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corner.JPG
Views:	441
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	6890  

zoom240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 08:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Cutting out the carpet under the cabinets is probably the most popular way to do it, but it is still a pain. Use a very sharp knife and do a finger inventory from time to time.

The carpet under the toilet needs to go. Remove the toilet (check the archive, there are threads on this) so you can get the carpet up and put down vinyl. Almost any carpet shop will have a scrap they will sell cheap, or more likely just give to you.

You will love your new floor, once its down.

Good luck,

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 09:12 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Thanks

Just knowing that others are cutting the carpet out too & that I have to remove the toilet is advice enough. Thanks Mark.

Dave
Old 05-28-2004, 09:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Hmmmmm - must have been a construction change

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom240
......others are cutting the carpet out too.....

On the 87 345 the carpet was installed as in a conventional house.

First, all the construction and cabinetry were finished, then tack strips were installed, and the carpet attached to the tack strips.

When I took the carpet out, I just pulled it free of the tack strips, and then removed the tack strips.

Anyone with a mid 80's trailer with a similar carpet story, or was the "household" installation (tack strip after finishing interior) only a Motor Home technique?

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 10:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Carpet in '85 34' Limited

The carpet in my 34' Limited, rear queen, side bath, was done exactly the same way, tac strips and carpet hooked to it, with padding underneath. I'm going to put in cork, I think. I just need to order it. I have all the carpeting out. Should I put the floor cross the trailer or lengthwise?

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 06:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

The carpet in my '85 also was installed with tack strip - but it did run underneath the galley cabinet. I believe the '90's units simply installed everything over the carpet. I could be wrong.

I put in my floor lengthwise, but would do it crossways if I had to do it over. On my coach, at least, it would have been far easier to make the various cuts around cabinetry at the ends of comparatively short planks, rather than along the length of long ones.

Mark
Old 05-29-2004, 06:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
I'm thinking of doing it crossways in the living room area, and then lengthwise down the hallway. We'll see. I'm excited to get it in. Lowe's has 10% off got Military this weekend, so I'm headed there.

Rob
Courtesy parking

Old 05-29-2004, 07:55 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Lengthwise for me

I thought about doing it crossways as well, but I like the look of the clean lines going straight down the hallway. We'll see how it goes, I should get it done this weekend unless I get too distracted on other things.

Dave
Old 06-01-2004, 12:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Carpet in bathroom

When I remove the carpet in the bathroom, and put in Vinyl in there, will I need to use a spacer or something of the sort for the toilet to sit on. The vinyl will not be as think as the carpet and padding. Just inquiring before I get into it.

Thanks,

Rob
Courtesy parking

Old 06-01-2004, 01:46 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
So what did John buy to replace the 28'? Has he been on the forums lately?

Mark
Old 06-01-2004, 01:56 PM   #11
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
Anyone with a mid 80's trailer with a similar carpet story, or was the "household" installation (tack strip after finishing interior) only a Motor Home technique?
In our 1970's vintage trailers it was done like a house too. I have re-carpeted 3 units and they all were using tack strips. I have not done an 80's vintage but at some point they figured out it was cost effective to carpet 100% of the floor and install everything, vs the labor to cut and kick carpet.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 02:02 PM   #12
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Trailers and MH

On my fourth AS. Three trailers, 71, 79 and 83, carpet and tacked, (or stapled) around cabinets.

My 1990 LY MH was carpet first cabinets second, a real PITA!

But the MH looks great with Hardwood/Pergo.

I found Mohawk brand for .99 a sqaure foot. I did the whole 33 MH with pad for aound 125 dollars.

Then another 40-50 dollars on shoe molding and other trim pieces.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 02:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
When I remove the carpet in the bathroom, and put in Vinyl in there, will I need to use a spacer or something of the sort for the toilet to sit on. The vinyl will not be as think as the carpet and padding. Just inquiring before I get into it.
Thanks,
Rob
The toilet is mounted to a flange, which should be flush with the floor. You should be able to just put down the vinyl and bolt it back down.

Mark
Old 06-11-2004, 08:39 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Pergo's in & about John...

Mark,

John told me he was going to move into a house & take care of his parents, who were getting on. He thought it would be a while before he got back into camping. He sold his truck & bought a Camry!

I got the Pergo in & did the trim around the edges. Getting ready to hit the road tomorrow with my boys. Guess I need to get the camera out and take some pictures. Looks good to me. If I had to do it over again, I'd float the floor - there are a few places where it looked level, but must have had a dip. The toilet went back in without any trouble. I guess it will take a few trips before I know whether I screwed up! The Pergo instructions said to silicone the edges which might get wet, so I did the area around the toilet, the shower and the sink. The silicone must be resiliant enough not to cause problems with the Pergo expansion. Time will tell.

Dave