Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2011, 06:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Oak Cliff , Texas
Removing residue from peel and stick. Help!

I pulled the carpeted section and some of the peel and stick tiles from my 71 Tradewinds. Where the tiles were it is really sticky. I've tried scraping it up with a floor scraper blade, but it's very difficult work and the floor gets gouged here and there. I plan on installing Armstrong VCT tiles throughout. Reading their instructions it says it's ok to have a sticky residue but I disagree, as it's going to hold dirt and can't be good when the temps get high, and it's not just tacky, but gooey. It also says not to use adhesive remover. This is from their website:
Can I install a new floor covering over old adhesive residue?
When installing new resilient tile such as EXCELON® and Standard EXCELON®, Armstrong allows the use of S-89, S-515, S-700 and S-750 Resilient Tile Adhesives over old adhesive residue as long as the adhesive residue has no ridges or puddles evident and what remains is a thin, smooth film.

Should I use an adhesive remover to remove adhesive residue from a subfloor before installing a new floor?
Many adhesive removal products contain solvents that leave a residue within the subfloor. This residue can negatively affect the new adhesive and bleed through the new floor covering. Floor covering warranties do not cover instances where existing subfloor conditions cause damage to the flooring or installation failure

pics of the floor:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2129.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	124638   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2134.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	124639  

Old 03-16-2011, 06:43 AM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Why not follow the directions? If the residue isn't lumpy and still sticky, that's good, isn't it. If the residue doesn't remove easily then it will help hold the replacement tiles.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
If you feel a need to remove it then GOOP makes an adhesive remover, Paint thinner will also remove it. Use plenty of ventilation.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
O , Central,Florida.
I did flooring for 5 years.
you might try a 4" razor scraper blade or dull putty knife turned around to the dull side & sanded grout.
use proper safety; gloves ,goggles, air respirator & ventilation .
Sprinkle the sanded grout then lightly scrape the gooooo the grout give the gooooo something to stick to.

Oh yea a lot of elbow grease & light pressure.

SR66
Slowride66 is offline   Reply With Quote