Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1969 27' Overlander
Wichita , Kansas
Ready Set Go

Hey all : Need some advice.... I am ready now to take all the old interior out and replace with the new. However need input - Do I lay a 1/4 inch overlay over the old. The old floor is in great shape. And if I do should I clean and then glue or staple.

Then when I lay my new floor any Ideas on width of the planks what works best? Also where should I purchase and the type grade and quality. Then should I cover the whole trailer or just the area where visible?

I have heard to float the floor, so no clue or nailes? Vapor Barrier?

In other words should I finish under the cabinets, bed, sofa, and bathroom?

Airdaddy
Danny Wingard
Wichita, Kansas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0738.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	84535   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0739.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	84536  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0740.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	84537  
Airdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
I remember when my Airstream looked like that. It only lasted a couple weeks until I gutted the entire thing.

Although it's probably no help to you, when I finally get a floor back in mine, I'll likely finish the entire floor under the cabinets, beds and bath. For me it'll be quite easy as there will be no interior in, but for you, it'll be a different story.

I have read many posts on the floating floor and that's likely how I'll finish mine. I'm thinking either Cork or Bamboo. My roommate recently re-did one of the bedrooms in bamboo and it is awesome.

Anyhow, I'll keep an eye on your thread to see how everyone else chimes in. I'm certainly no expert in the matter.

Glad to see another '75 being brought back to life

'75 31ft Airstream Sovereign

Come check out my restoration progress:
https://crazycorpsman-silverbullet.blogspot.com/
CrzyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1969 27' Overlander
Wichita , Kansas
Ready Set Go

Hey thanks for the reply so soon. I have a Bamboo floor ready to put down. However on one of my earlier message someone expressed that bamboo shrinks. I have enough to complete if I don't underlay the cabinets, sofa and bathroom or under the bed. If you think it will work and "I will seek others as well" - that Bamboo will be a quality floor, I will order the rest to complete.

I am going with a Southwest Look - light colors. My cabinets will be solid with a knotty pine, Leather sofa. The ceiling I have decided to cover it with an egg shell pa-leather and pad it like the new ones.
I have a lot of work ahead of me over the next few months. I am Loving it

Airdaddy
Danny Wingard
Wichita, Kansas
Airdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
Oh, I hadn't heard that about the bamboo. Now that you mention it, I'll have to do some more research on that.

Sounds like we're going along the same lines on the interior. I've wanted to go with a log cabin type look and have even thought about using recycled barn wood for the cabinets and such. All ideas at this point.

I've got the next six months to decide as I go on a "vacation" to Guam. Headed out for a deployment with the Navy Seabee's. Of course, I'm going to be picking the builder's brains while I'm out there and run some of my ideas through them.

Good luck with your A/S. I now understand the work involved and I, too, have grown to love it.

'75 31ft Airstream Sovereign

Come check out my restoration progress:
https://crazycorpsman-silverbullet.blogspot.com/
CrzyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote