Old 02-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
THE RANCH , Texas
Radiant floor heating....

Howdy....I hope that I am in the right location!!! Does anyone have any thoughts on installing radiant heating under the new laminate flooring in "The Money Pit"? Just looking for another source for keeping my tootsies warm......NO THREE DOG NIGHTS WANTED!!! Adios......HOOK'EM HORNS.....Adios...Callie.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
This has been explored in some depth recently in another thread. If you do a google search for radiant heat flooring it will probably be near the top of the list. My recollection is that it isn't very feasible due to limited floor space and the need for large amounts of hot liquid to heat the system.
I use a 110v oil-filled radiator type heater when I have shore power. It heats the Safari nicely, and has a timer and thermostat built in. Power consumption on the midrange setting is 1500 watts which is all that's needed down to the 30's.
For situations without shore power I'm leaning toward a vented radiant propane heater, or possibly a small woodstove, or a combination of the two. I don't like the forced air furnaces I've seen so far and most are just plain too loud and powerful for a 19' metal box.
I also have a niced soft carpet runner for those cold-floor-mornings. Best investment so far.

Rich the Viking

Old 02-26-2010, 05:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
You could use an electric radiant heat system. Home Depot even has some that might interest you. The biggest problem I see is neatly running your power out of the way.

There are even systems that can be placed under area rugs. Some drawing as little as 65 watts.

Portable Electric Radiant Floor Heating for Under Area Rugs: CozyWinters
Old 02-26-2010, 07:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
I would like to here if anyone has put electric under floor heat under a floating snap together laminate plank floor. We are redoing the rot in our floor now and have purchased laminate snap together flooring for it. So this is a timely post for us. Also any tips for the install, we have all the cabinets removed and will put the new flooring over the entire floor. Brian 64 Avion T21
Old 02-26-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by callie View Post
Howdy....I hope that I am in the right location!!! Does anyone have any thoughts on installing radiant heating under the new laminate flooring in "The Money Pit"? Just looking for another source for keeping my tootsies warm......NO THREE DOG NIGHTS WANTED!!! Adios......HOOK'EM HORNS.....Adios...Callie.
Search for ThermoSoft on google. We used it in our kitchen remodel at home and are very happy with it. It consists of heat wire woven through fiberglass mat. It only stands about 1/8th of an inch tall so adds little to the build up.

We used it under ceramic tile and love to step off the hardwood on the concrete slab onto our programed heated floor.

Oh, and it's green as the amount of wattage is about that of a 75 watt bulb.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
THE RANCH , Texas
Howdy from the cold RANCH! Thanks for all the info. I will let you know how it works out.....installation is probably July!!! Pray, sleep, and enjoy life...and AS camping...Adios.....Callie and Sister!

TAC TX-42
Old 05-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Doesn't radiant heat flooring require it to be embedded in thin set mortar before the floor goes down? Besides the mess I wonder how much weight that would add.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
The Thermosoft product we used was set in thinset. I would think you'd want to use something different for use in the AS due to the flexing.

At only an eighth of an inch thick the buildup is not likely to add that much weight, but may be a consideration..... life with an Airstream is full of compromises.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Yep, I bet the flexing would turn it into gravel in a fairly short time.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
Here is a company that markets underfloor electric radiant heat especially for RVs. I don't believe you have to set it in thinset.

STEP Warmfloor™: The energy-efficient choice for electric radiant floor heating - STEP RV™

Stephen
Old 06-05-2010, 12:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Radiant floor heat... Sounds like a good idea, looking forward to hearing about your project.

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote