Old 07-08-2002, 09:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Quarter Round Molding

I have just bought a hardwood flooring kit. I am going to lay it floating, this means I leave a 1/4" expansion joint at the edges. This is supposed to be hidden with quarter round molding.

This is supposed to be nailed to the baseboard. Obviously the trailer doesn't have a baseboard. Anyone done this or have an idea of how I would fasten the quarter round.

Thank you.

melprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 10:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Re: Quarter Round Molding

Quote:
Originally posted by melprice
I have just bought a hardwood flooring kit. I am going to lay it floating, this means I leave a 1/4" expansion joint at the edges. This is supposed to be hidden with quarter round molding.

This is supposed to be nailed to the baseboard. Obviously the trailer doesn't have a baseboard. Anyone done this or have an idea of how I would fasten the quarter round.

Thank you.
I used nails into the floor at a angle. Nail punch and fill the holes. Place the 1/4 rond against the walls bottom of the cabinets, it becomes the baseboard. Good Luck

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 10:36 PM   #3
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Keep in mind that the recommended 1/4 inch expansion is for the average size room. You will not see much, if any on 3-4' width. It's more important to give the floor some breathing room for the lenght of the floor by using i.e. floor to carpet transition pieces that let the floor move.
I pretty much buttoned down the sides of my pergo and left room at the ends. Haven't had a problem in 1 1/2 years.
Old 08-31-2002, 09:21 PM   #4
Rob
2 Rivet Member

Hello Melvin and Sheila, Looks like we have the same model and year trailers. This is my first Airstream and I have stupid question. Is Trade Wind the model or is it Land Yacht mine has both names on it.

My trailer has a rear wet bath (shower and toilet get wet) galley is on the opposite side of the door.

I am also planning on installing hardwood floors. From reading all the posts it sounds like vinyl floors can crack over time from movement in the floor. Are you going to seal or protect the plywood before installation of the hardwood floor?
Old 08-31-2002, 10:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

I am just ready to install the quarter-round on my new floor. There are a few items in my trailer that would necessitate removal of part of the floor for major repairs. Therefore, I need to be able to remove the quarter round as well. I'm using #4 brass wood screws, and hoping not to hit a power line (actually, that should not be a problem at floor level.

Mark
Old 09-01-2002, 02:48 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

You can use 3M double sided foam tape and stick the moulding to the wall. If you need to remove it you just use a knife to cut the foam and reapply using the same stuff.

Ciao, BB
Old 09-03-2002, 09:39 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Hi Rob,

You have a Tradewind, that's the model name. We have the same bathroom setup and the galley is across from the door.

We left the plywood sub-floor as it was. It has lasted 30 years so far. There were a couple of areas that were soft to the point I could push a screwdiver through them, I removed these and put new pieces in. If you have soft areas that aren't that bad you can use a hardening epoxy. I have no experience of this but it is mentioned a lot on this forum and the Vintage Airstream Mailing List.

The floor we put in floats, that is it isn't fastened anywhere, the weight of the floor keeps it in place, each piece is glued to the previous piece.

The idea of fastening the moulding with double sided foam tape sounds like a great idea. I nailed mine in and as I was doing it I thought of a potential issue. I nailed it at a slight angle from the vertical towards the wall. This ensures I don't nail into the new floor but just miss it and go past it into the sub-floor. The problem I see is now I have reduced the expansion gap between the edge of the new floor and the wall because the nail is in there. I don't think it is a big deal though.
melprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 11:59 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Glenside , Pennsylvania
We got our floor in this past weekend. What a PITA as nothing is square after 38 years of twisting and turning, but it looks fantastic!

We're thinking of using liquid nails to apply the quarter round molding. Any opinons on this?

I also mixed moldings - have some Shaw Perpetual (that's the flooring I put down) and then some Pergo. The colors are very similar - not exact but close enough for camping. The Pergo has more flexibilty and I need to get the molding around the arc of the bathtub. Anyone succeed in doing this?

Thanks
Gillian