Old 01-27-2003, 08:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Wood parquet flooring

We installed wood parquet flooringin our MH. we had slight subfloor water damage under passenger side window behind passenger seat and infront of credenza. Removed all dead wood, repaired w/ new 5/8 marine grade plywood and expoxy resin to fill in cracks. pulled ALL carpet (and STAPLES) from drivers cabin to threshold between center bath & shower, thus leaving bath and rear bedroom carpeted for stepping out of shower and bed with carpet on floors. Sanded floors & vac, filled cracks and leveled. sanded floors & vac. Layed self-adhesive wood parquet flooring product and trimmed out with quarter round. Did remove credenza and rotating captain chair for this project, did not remove refriderator.

We are still waiting to do the driver's & passenger cabin areas this Spring. Will take more planning and alot of trim work...but worth the change from 1979 shag brown carpet!!!

Old 01-28-2003, 08:24 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
logic

Peter, you make an excellent point. I think I have made up my mind to use the snap in place type. Now I have to be sure that we have actually repaired all the leaks we found after purchasing the coach. Unfortunately the weather here will preclude that for at least two to three months. My other fear is that when we pull the carpet up we will have huge amounts of plywood to replace due to all the leaks that were present. I guess these are just examples of what makes this hobby fun! Thanks again for your expertise.
Brouck

Old 01-28-2003, 05:47 PM   #17
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
monkey wrench

Brouck,
logic works well until reality sets in.
I had to get under the sink cabinet on one side and under the refriderator on the other side. No way to snap the last piece in.
I used the glue together type and did not glue the first three pieces by the door to the rest of the floor, since that area is most prone to waterdamage. The replacement pieces are already cut and stored away.
If you don't have the above conflict, snap together would be the way to go.
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 06:05 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
point of view

Peter, which direction did you orient the floor in your motorhome? I really like what I saw of Bruno's and others who place it with the grain crossways. The artist in me (not a huge representation, I'm actually quite left brained) is toying with diagonal.I like the concept but I fear the logistics. (so much for the artist, what do they care about logistics?) I apologize to any logical artists out there!
Brouck
Old 01-28-2003, 06:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Not certain this applies, BUT what did one of the above posters mean when he said the floor creeps forward? I understand expansion/humidity but isn't the floor relatively solid?

I like the idea of diagonal....what are you gonna do with the couch? leave the carpet under it?

Kistler
Old 01-28-2003, 06:53 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
borders

Kistler, I haven't thought the entire project through yet but I think I will only place flooring up to borders such as couch, credenza etc. Still not even sure about the bedroom; flooring or new carpet: bathroom new vinyl? Right now I see no reason to complicate matters in areas that no one will see unless they are snooping.

Brouck
Old 01-28-2003, 06:59 PM   #21
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
logical artist

i am one of those.
My floor is going long ways.
I don't see a logistical problem with going at 45 degrees, just a few delicate cuts. Since my carpet transition moulding is running at an angle already, a diagonal installation would have insulted both (logic and artist)
AIR #13
Old 01-28-2003, 07:13 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Ah, logic and artistry in Austin....hmmm.... well what can I say this is the new age...

So what was that about creeping? I have layed/lain (verb bothers me tremendously) fake wood before on slab floor in earthquake country and it never creeped.

Do Airstreams flex? Is that what they are talking about?

Kistler
Old 01-28-2003, 07:44 PM   #23
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
creepers

Not sure what Mark was refering to with his statement. Forward movement due to braking?
My floor is short and intertwined with the coach, it doesn't move. If I would put pergo style flooring throughout my coach, I would make sure to have 1/4 expansion space in the front and rear. Humidity levels vary a lot more than in a climatized home.
AIR #13
Old 01-28-2003, 08:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Pergo type floors are known as "floating" floors. They do not attach to anything. They are usually installed with a factory recommended gap around the perimeter to allow the floor to move with changes in temperature and humidity. This gap is then hidden with quarter round molding, which is also not attached to the floor, but rather to the wall - again to allow the floor to move.

If you install a snap-together floor longitudinally with a 1/4" gap around all sides, you will return from your first road trip with NO gap in front and a 1/2" gap at the rear. You may be able to defeat this with a thin strip of foam placed along the front. I simply put in some thin stips of plywood along the couch.

Snaping pieces under counters and working around partitions is one of the real tribulations of working with this flooring. Some thought needs to be given to which side you will work from to minimize this problem. Also, you can sometimes snap a piece in then slide it back under a overhang.

Mark
Old 01-29-2003, 10:08 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
pergo
have been riding along and reading. i was at HD yesterday and was asking a lot of questions and i have a flyer from pergo that states in damp areas to use a sealer on the seams. and they had a bin full of this sealer and it is a color match to the flooring you will be installing. i have some prodigy available at a good price. it is the wide flooring with the backer installed. i was going to do the bath and bedroom. now i dont know if i want to. the sales man says due to the narrow width there will be a space about 1/8 inch that you cant get out and that would be sufficient for expansion. the prodigy would only be 3 or 4 boards wide. i wouldntallow 1/4 in the front if it is going to slide forward put a sponge spacer in the read for the 1/4 and let it go . 1/4 inch is the space required in a large room . i think i would use the sealer even though you should not get any water on the floor except the bath area. then it isnt enough to do any harm . i always stand on a towel when i get out of the shower. well that is my 2 cents . i will keep reading and maybe i will try the flooring.
al
Old 01-29-2003, 01:51 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
expansion

My fellow floating floor afficianados, does temperature/humidity expansion occur in all directions symmetrically or more lengthwise? If there is a difference the orientation of grain would dictate where the buffer zone would be. With respect to the floor moving forward, is the assumption that we brake harder than we accelerate...Has that thing gotta hemi?
Brouck

PS Peter,logical artists rule!
Old 01-30-2003, 12:25 PM   #27
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Pergo or ?

Don't want to muddy the waters, but wondered if you had seen (read) the thread on the cork floor that was posted here a while back. Beautiful pictures and sounded like the installation was trouble free. That is what we are going to look into when we are able to replace our carpet! Just another thought to chew on. Leigh
Old 02-13-2003, 07:41 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Glenside , Pennsylvania
Brouck - I was told the expansion is lengthwise.

After putting in this floor - I would not recommend a diagonal installation unless you enjoy banging your head against the wall. The curves and 'not true' lines will be enough fun!

FTR - I used the snap together, Shaw Prodigy with the backing and put it in the bathroom. I'm very satisfied.