Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2018, 10:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
Carmel , California
Outdoor teak flooring, am I crazy???

Hi All,

Getting ready to renovate a few parts of my 1989 34' Limited trailer and I need to get rid of the shag carpeting that someone put in it and I'm ditching the front sofa, lol. I'm also changing out parts of the dinette to make a desk and larger battery box so I will be needing to change the wood flooring in the kitchen a well... I am thinking of doing something a bit odd and wanted some input

Is a teak floor for outdoor use with a plastic backing. It weighs about 1Lb per square foot. Is that too heavy? it also has openings to let stuff fall through but it also is not fixed down so I can just lift out the tiles and clean should anything liquid get spilled. I may look into a way to fill the gaps with something flexible to make life a bit easier.

So what's the verdict, am I crazy?
RedBearded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:09 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
I love the the look and idea. Here’s a few things that come to my mind....

If it’s the IKEA stuff, it’s about an inch thick. Will it get in the way of opening lower cabinets or pull-down base covers? I don’t think the converters and such are that low, but it’s worth buying a piece and walking around the trailer testing things.

These just lay on the floor if I remember right, and you commented about just picking them up to get under them. As you know, we drive rolling earthquakes, so I’m thinking the tiles might be like leaving a Scrabble game on the dinette when you roll. You could find tiles jostled everywhere.

The gaps are fairly large. Are you ready to be picking up flooring every time you drop something small on it (like scrabble pieces, coins, fuses), and you’d have to pull the floor to properly clean the sand, dirt and such.

The trailers are known to leak, and I’m wondering if this type of floor would conceal it and potentially make the problem worse before you found it.

I LOVE the look and the price point. A lot. I’ve even considered them for use next to the trailer instead of a rug. But I’d be concerned that it’s more hassle than solution inside the trailer.

YMMV, and I’m sorry for being such a pessimist on a cool idea.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote