Old 05-21-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
hendersonville , North Carolina
oak flooring?

I have a question...I have 1/2 inch finished oak flooring from a leftover job and am considering using it on my 27' overlander. Any thoughts? I live in it full time so weight wouldn't be an issue for me but if I end up selling it later on I don't know if it would be a problem. Any advice would be appreciated!

conyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Weight is always an issue. However - as you say, not for you but for the next person.
It would look great, any idea how much weight it would add? Is there current flooring in there that could be removed to help offset some weight?
Perhaps you could do a rough layout to figure how much material you would use, and weigh it.
Hmmm, lots of questions.

AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by conyx
I have a question...I have 1/2 inch finished oak flooring from a leftover job and am considering using it on my 27' overlander. Any thoughts? I live in it full time so weight wouldn't be an issue for me but if I end up selling it later on I don't know if it would be a problem. Any advice would be appreciated!
Hi, conyx. If the oak adds 200 lbs to the weight of the trailer, that means you can load the trailer with 200 lbs less stuff to reach your GVWR. Some Bambi's that would put them at a minus <150> lbs. On my Safari, that means instead of 850 lbs of junk, I would only be able to load 650 lbs of junk. Check your weights and specs for your trailer and the oak needed.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
You could put the wood flooring in selectively, maybe in the galley, and carpet the rest. You may also need to raise the bottom of cabinet doors etc. to clear the flooring. Is this laminate flooring? Wood flooring in a coach is more likely to be water damaged at some point.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:26 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
oak flooring

Right now there is just the original (I assume) lanoleum flooring and it looks terrible! Unfortunately I will only have about 100 sq feet of oak and I doubt that will be enough. I still haven't measured the amount I will need. I know I don't want to go through the trouble of taking everything out before I put the floor in and I won't be doing the bathroom, so that should cut down on the amount needed.

Considering I'm strapped financially...does anyone have suggestions as to what route to go? Definitely not carpet!

I was considering bamboo, but I have a large dog and I have a feeling bamboo may be too soft.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:30 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
carpet

I did think about that, my bathroom is at the end with the 'bedroom' in the middle and the main room toward the front. I could just do everything up to the bedroom area and carpet that. But then I was planning on tiling the bathroom floor and thought it might break it up too much to do all three. Not sure, I like the way a full wood floor opens everything up so I may just hold out until I can find enough at a decent price.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by conyx

I was considering bamboo, but I have a large dog and I have a feeling bamboo may be too soft.
Hi, conyx. I just installed Bamboo flooring in one room of my house; The rest of my house has Oak floors. They say Bamboo is harder than Oak. As for carpet, no-way. I almost have a carpet free house and I'm not turning back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	San Clemente 2008 013 (Large).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	60868  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Conyx,

One alternative type of flooring that I think would be a good and reasonably economical choice is the Allure Trafficmaster Vinyl strip flooring that is mentioned in great detail in the following post. It is available at Home Depot for around $1.69 per square foot depending on which type you select.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f461...ter-41785.html

Relative to using the Oak flooring if you have enough of it I think you could get away with it. You might try comparing the weight of it to other choices like laminate flooring or bamboo. You could even check out how much flooring of the type you have now weighs per square foot. It does weigh something and in my experience vinyl or composition tiles are not actually all that light weight. You might be suprised to find that your oak is not that much heavier. One way to get an idea of the weight of the existing without actually ripping it up and weighing it would be to find something similar at the store and see how much a box of it weighs - assuming shipping weight is noted on the box. If not on the box you might be able to find shipping weight at an online store for a similar product. As a rought rule of thumb wood weighs aproximately 50 lbs per cubic foot. If you divide 50 by 24 (12" divided by 1/2") you would end up with your oak weighing in at about 2 lbs per square foot.

I hopes this helps some.

Malcolm