Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Unhappy No on Marmoleum Flooring?

I am having my 58 Airstream remodeled professionally. I chose marmoleum for the flooring but the shop just said that it is industrial grade and very difficult to work with and they cannot install it and can't find anyone who will install it in an RV.
Since I have read so many references to marmoleum flooring being installed on the forums, I am confused. (and sadly got my heart set on it for that retro look)
They want me to chose a different kind of flooring but I thought I would ask for some feedback here before giving up on it. The trailer at this point is gutted, new interior paint and has a new layer of subfloor down, ready to go for the flooring.
Does this sound right to those of you with an opinion? TIA
MaryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Forums member Top put a lovely marmoleum floor in his trailer.

His posts on the installation (with photos of the completed work later in the thread) start here.

Translated into English, your shop's response means "We're not familiar with the product and don't want to learn."

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Rivet Dude

1972 21' Globetrotter
1987 34' Excella
yep, still on the road , On The Road
Marmoleum

Greetings:

I had M installed in my 72 globetrotter. Check out my pics, slightly hard to see, but it looks great. They installed a five ply 3/8s underlayer wood, and sealed the cracks. For the 21 foot AS, the entire project took him less than eight hours. He had installed M in other locations, just never a AS. I used some leftovers for the kitchen counters, a great look. I laid that myself with the bucket of cement from the floor project.

I had gotten two estimates from "pros". Just a joke. $$$$$

The man I used I found on Craigslist, however, he had worked for friends of mine in their housè. So he came recommended. He had a book of finished projects, that sold me.

It looks great, wears well, is easy to repair(dropped a drill w/bit) elmers wood glue & powdèr flooring from a scrap. No one can tell. Also very small.

And stands up to water, dog, me, sand, dirt, etc.

So good luck on the project.

Jeffery
airjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We've had Marmoleum in two of our Airstreams - Love, love, LOVE it! We also have plans to use it in our Curtis Wright.

As far as installing it in a RV, no problem. The Airstream factory does it in some of their trailers (i.e. David Winnick Bambi, etc.) It doesn't have to be installed by a RV guy - call in a flooring person that is familiar with and works with Marmoleum for that scope of work. Heck, in Portland there should be many to chose from...contact the Forbo Marmoluem folks for a list of installers near you. Many have peoiple that are willing & able to do a small job like an Airstream from leftover material &/or on a weekend - thus saving your some $$$.

I wouldn't take "no" for an answer if that's what you want...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Thanks Shari! I am not taking no for an answer now. I guess you could say I have my heart set on it.
Your Airstream is really nice Jeff!
Old 03-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I installed marmoleum myself in my trailer. It wasn't that difficult. If you don't want to do it yourself, you might just look for a good flooring guy like Shari said. If your remodelers say they can't find anyone to install it, I'd have to wonder if they're really looking or they just want you to pick something they're more comfortabel with.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Thanks for the replies. I considered your comment, DKB_SATX "We're not familiar with the product and don't want to learn." as well as yours Thalweg thanks for the reinforcement.
I just called a flooring company that sells marmoleum and explained the issue. He said basically the same thing, that they probably were not experienced and therefore not comfortable with the installation. He also said that he had no problem with coming out and installing the flooring. So I gave the shop his contact number.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
MaryC, Great advice from these folks. A lot of people have M installed in there AS. One more thing to consider is M only comes in 6' 7' widths and our trailers are wider that, so be sure they "Net" the threshold and put the seam opposite of the door side (duh) just sayin. Just follow the manufactures instructions on sealing and waxing, and you will love it.
It not only looks fantastic, very retro. I have 3 dogs 45+ lbs. Very tough stuff. It even feels good with bare feet, unlike Vinyl. M is a greener product also. The more we use it the more we like it and are glad we chose it over all other options like cork, bamboo, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8083-2.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	181494  
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
If the trailer is gutted, it seems like it would be even easier to install.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Mary ~ Here's pics of our two trailers w/Marmoleum...

The first is Forbo Marmoleum "Real" #3146 in Serene Grey

and the second is Marmoleum's "Artoleum" Mineral - Color: Tiger Eye #5713

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
i have marmoleum installed in our trailer. me my husband and my father in law installed it in a few hours. i'll call BS.

BTW, shari - i went to save your 2nd photo as inspiration for our 57 b/c i LOVE your woodwork and cabinetry. Turns out it was one of 5 photos i had already saved!
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
Alamogordo , New Mexico
Did you have the frame off?

I have installed Marmoleum in a house before, and I can tell you it is quite stiff and difficult to work with, but it is awesome stuff. I wanted to install it in my Argosy, but I remembered how stiff it was. Those of you who said you had Marmoleum installed, I was wondering if the frame of your trailer was off when you installed it?

It seems like it would be really easy while the frame was off, but to try to get that marmoleum to lay flat inside a tight trailer space would be crazy difficult. Marmoleum has to be allowed to lay flat for awhile after it comes of the roll and before cutting. But please let me know if you did this with the frame on your trailer.
BentMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
Alamogordo , New Mexico
Thanks DKB SATX

I take it all back. I looked at the link DKB SATX posted. It's brilliant how they did the Marmoleum with the frame on AND cabinets still inside. I'm impressed!
BentMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
We've had Marmoleum in two of our Airstreams - Love, love, LOVE it! It doesn't have to be installed by a RV guy - call in a flooring person that is familiar with and works with Marmoleum for that scope of work. Heck, in Portland there should be many to chose from...contact the Forbo Marmoluem folks for a list of installers near you. I wouldn't take "no" for an answer if that's what you want...
Shari
I have Marmoleum in my '54 Cruiser and love it. I chose a deep rich red & it really sets off the interior paint & cabinetry. Easy to clean too. InsideOut is right, stand your ground with your restorer & call flooring stores / installers in your area, or Forbo Marmoleum to find experienced installers in your area. You won't regrret your choice & effort.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #15
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Thumbs up Aftermath

The marmoleum is installed in my trailer and it looks great. It wasn't cheap having it professionally done, they worked all day and back for a few hours the next morning, but so glad we didnt have to contemplate doing it. I saved a bit off my "budget" (I have a budget? I think that ran away a few months ago) by not going with my original "gotta have" stainless steel countertops. I used the same marmoleum on my counters and it looks great. Just now in the process of acquiring the retro style metal trim around the edges.

I went with Marmoleum Graphic sgraffito. black with off white flecks for appropriate 50's retro look.
My shelves are also lined with it.

Appreciated all of the input.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryC View Post
The marmoleum is installed in my trailer and it looks great. It wasn't cheap having it professionally done, they worked all day and back for a few hours the next morning, but so glad we didnt have to contemplate doing it. I saved a bit off my "budget" (I have a budget? I think that ran away a few months ago) by not going with my original "gotta have" stainless steel countertops. I used the same marmoleum on my counters and it looks great. Just now in the process of acquiring the retro style metal trim around the edges.

I went with Marmoleum Graphic sgraffito. black with off white flecks for appropriate 50's retro look.
My shelves are also lined with it.

Appreciated all of the input.
Hey Mary
Can we please see some pictures of your floor? I'm thinking about installing Marmoleum as well and would like to see yours.
Mike
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #17
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
I won't get any decent photos until I can get the trailer back from the shop, hopefully within the next 2 weeks. Until then, its inside the shop with one shop light inside and no daylight coming in from the outside. But hopefully you can see something. There is paper taped in the traffic zone because work is still going on. I decided to use marmoleum for my counter when the custom stainless steel estimate came back high. I think it looks better with the original sink and it certainly will wear well.

Marmoleum comes in so many colors, I went with the black for drama and because I really liked it when I saw it in a high end project. We also have a lot of windows in the AS and it gets plenty of light.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	61942_591055907580766_1405949111_n.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	186350   Click image for larger version

Name:	947236_600720049947685_953574373_n.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	186351  

Name:	21269_600720046614352_1625911116_n.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	186352  
Old 05-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Thanks Mary!

That looks great!

Mike
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Pretty!!

Follow our blog! https://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Looks great. I too like the black. You achieved your drama. Look forward to other pictures.

Did the M go under the cabinets too? I was wondering about the weight M is deceptively heavy.

Tony
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote