Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2009, 08:57 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
High Hill , Missouri
Need Advice Please!

Hi,

I need some advice please.

We would like to replace the old worn carpet in the bedroom and living room of our travel trailer with self-adhesive wood vinyl floor tiles. We would also like to install them on top of the current flooring in the kitchen and bathroom areas so we have the same flooring throughout. The bedroom has an island-type of bed with approximately 18" on all three sides. The current carpet is under the wooden bed box, but we do not plan on replacing that with the flooring, just around the outside of the box.

This is our first time doing this type of work. I have some questions and would appreciate any help, advice or comments that you could provide.

First of all, has anyone installed this type of flooring? If so, have you had any trouble with the tiles coming loose?

Would you need a primer between the current vinyl and the new tiles?

The area where the carpet is will be lower than the vinyl since we are planning on installing the tiles on top of the vinyl. Is there anything we can put on the floor where the carpet was to even out the floor?

What advantages/disadvantages are there to installing vinyl floor tiles?

I've heard that installing flooring in a travel trailer is different than in a home. Are there any step-by-step instructions or websites that offer help with installing this type of flooring in a RV?

Thank you for your help!
mfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
IF you are going to put the tile over the vinyl you must clean it and decrease it. I would recommend pulling it up because at some point the tiles may come up. If you do this then your carpet will be the same height.

You can always put down some thin 1/16 -1/8 th plywood before putting new carpet down.

It is always best to pull up old flooring before putting new flooring down.......

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:21 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
2005 16' International CCD
2012 27' FB International
Salt Lake City , Utah
We replaced all of the carpeting in our trailer a few months ago, we had two twin beds in the bedroom and it wasn't hard to take them out so we could remove the old carpeting. I know it is more work but the end result would be much better if you removed the bed(base/box) and took the carpeting out, when you put your new flooring down, you would not need to put it all the way under the bed if you did not want to, personally I would but no one will see it. This way, when you put the bed back down, it will appear that the new flooring goes underneath the bed and you will end up with a much cleaner look.
Utahgoldrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
I agree about cleaning and de-greasing the tile. Probably the best product you can use is TSP (Trisodium phosphate). It is available at all home improvement/hardware stores. Follow the instructions on the box.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote