Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2009, 07:16 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Need advice on my Floor?

Hello folks well I have pretty much gutted my trailer took bath out and removed everything up front rite down to the wood floor. My question is I do not want to replace floor I do Not have time or money SO I was thinking of putting subfloor over it any Ideas?

Pictures:

Rear floor rot

Front floor under univolt is soft about 2 feet back

Before I remove rotted spot

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Sorry, I can't see your pics for some reason. Can you just replace the section thats failing? You can use floor repair screws to secure the floor from the top. It will take money and time to put down a sub-floor and you will still have a soft spot.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Putting a floor over the floor does not solve the problem and is a set up for problems later when you will have to pull everything out again and will have bigger problems. Your photos did not come through but there is a workable fix for small areas of floor short of replacing the entire floor. This approach is less acceptable for large areas which involve the C channel and where the floor is bolted to the frame.

1. Cut out the rotten sections
2. Treat old floor edges with penetrating epoxy resin
3. Screw/glue plywood support under existing floor so that you have a lip which extends at least 4" into the hole and 4" under the good section of original floor
4.Screw/ glue patch piece of plywood
Old 04-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
You would be sorry

Almost all the work is done. You can replace sections of bad floor....looks like most is gone no anyway. Clean up the area, square up the portion to be removed, cut a replacement piece and install it. Many posts on the process with pictures are here. Some real good info is floating in Blog outerspace....essentially lost. If you cover the problem......?
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
Could'nt open your pics. Adding thickness to you floor will cause some problems when you reinstall your interior and extra weight. You can probably work around that. The primary issue is the condition of the perimeter of the plywood, under the c-chanel 1-2 inches in from the outside edge. Shell bolts to plywood, plywood bolts to frame. If the belly pan and int skins are attached you can't be shure. You can go around the interior paremeter trying the wood with a screw driver, if theres' weak areas that means structural support problems, especially on a 31 ft'er. You're right, replacing the floor is a lot of time and money. Hope you can dodge the bullet, good luck.
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcrowley View Post
Hello folks well I have pretty much gutted my trailer took bath out and removed everything up front rite down to the wood floor. My question is I do not want to replace floor I do Not have time or money SO I was thinking of putting subfloor over it any Ideas?

Pictures:

Rear floor rot

Front floor under univolt is soft about 2 feet back

Before I remove rotted spot
Sorry about pics I linked them to my gallery oh well pics are there just can't link them i guese

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote