Old 04-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Moving throw rugs!!!

Well I've tried almost averything except duck taping my throw rugs to my carpet but they all still move all over the place. I bought some of that spendy rubber backing and taped that to the rugs but still didn't work. Are there any rugs out therre that won't move on the carpet? I plan on taking up all of my carpet this summer and replacing it with Pergo or similar, but until then I need the carpet to look clean and want the throw rugs. Thanks-

Pap

2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #2

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Besides a staple gun I can't think of anything that would keep rugs from moving on carpet. They make duck tape for rugs and runners but I imagine they would still move on you.

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
Thumbs down Moving Rugs

Hi Pappy,

I had the same problem with the rugs that I inherited from PO. I finally bought an oval braided wool rug off Ebay from "Rug Haven" for a great price and it seemed to stop a lot of the movement, though not completely.

Hope this helps,

Hank
Old 04-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Moving Matts

This is an interesting subject that deserves in depth study to solve the problem. Someone will get rich if they can find the answer.
My theory is, the movement is caused by the magnetic field created by the proximity of the full moon and the resulting high tide.
This is why no matter what way you place the mat, it will travel east to west, or south to north.
The only real way to analyse the movement is to look around midnight with a flashlight and then again in the morning and you will see it has moved. Maybe a timelapse camera would work.
Dave
Old 04-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I think Dave (Masseyfarm) has it. Just as water flows downhill, rugs will walk in the direction of the nap of the carpet.

Embrace the flow. It's almost cocktail hour.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Maybe some Velcro? Put the hook-ey side down on the bottom of the throw rug, and the hooks will dig into the nap of the carpet.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Maybe some Velcro? Put the hook-ey side down on the bottom of the throw rug, and the hooks will dig into the nap of the carpet.
That's a good thought. After I have my second vodka martini, I may try that. Nothing to lose except my balance.

Pap
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
Old 04-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #8

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
After 3 martinis they will look perfect!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
As they say about martini's; they are just like women's boobs, one's not enough and three's too many. I think Yogi Berra said that, or maybe Hugh Hefner-

Pap
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
Old 04-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Do yourself a favor and toss the throw rugs in the nearest dumpster!

In our fully carpeted l988 we have moved throw rugs back in place until we are blue in the face. The whole idea of putting carpet in travel trailers had to have been thought of by someone who doesn't live in one much.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a tuff vinyl floor you could just sweep up and spot clean the spills as in the new Flying Clouds? Our PO had some throw rugs put down with carpet tacks and they didn't even stay in place. We have used some with rubber backing purchased at Camping World and they slide around horribly.

We have recently come to our senses and decided to get rid of our carpeting this summer also. We recently pitched the throw rugs and are really enjoying the trailer without throw rug hassle. The irony is that our carpeting still looks good and we are mostly replacing it because we are so tired of protecting it.

Thanks for posting this. We were beginning to wonder of we were the only ones out there who had become slaves to our carpeting.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I have used doublefaced adhesive strips on throw rugs to hold them to carpet or linoleum. Here is something you could use. The type I used was in sheets available from Wal-Mart by the area rugs. It is just tacky and not sticky. You can reposition it.

Are area rugs walking in an Airstream like people walking on a moving sidewalk or esculator? Wonder what their hurry is and just where they are going.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70071247962.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	126644  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #12
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
The Rug

Pat:
Yes, by all means go for the vinyl floor and just get some scatter mats to catch the dust bunnies. The double sided tape works better on the mat with a vinyl floor.

Unfortunately, because you have direct entrance from the wild to the living room, dirt does get tracked in, and a mat of some type will always be a necessity. I like the carpet in the cockpit and living room and bedroom area because of the warmth it gives my sock feet. (shoes off at the door) Then there is the slip factor? and items falling to the floor? don't roll around much on carpet. Vinyl or wood is great in the kitchen, dinning, bath areas.
Good thing about vinyl, wood and carpet, it can all be changed in a day if needed.
But the solution to the travelling mat has not be answered.
If America can put a man in space why can't a solution be found for this minor annoyance.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Conway View Post
Do yourself a favor and toss the throw rugs in the nearest dumpster!

In our fully carpeted l988 we have moved throw rugs back in place until we are blue in the face. The whole idea of putting carpet in travel trailers had to have been thought of by someone who doesn't live in one much.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a tuff vinyl floor you could just sweep up and spot clean the spills as in the new Flying Clouds? Our PO had some throw rugs put down with carpet tacks and they didn't even stay in place. We have used some with rubber backing purchased at Camping World and they slide around horribly.

We have recently come to our senses and decided to get rid of our carpeting this summer also. We recently pitched the throw rugs and are really enjoying the trailer without throw rug hassle. The irony is that our carpeting still looks good and we are mostly replacing it because we are so tired of protecting it.

Thanks for posting this. We were beginning to wonder of we were the only ones out there who had become slaves to our carpeting.