Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Looking for Sage Advice

Hi,
We are looking for some suggestions. Our 1971 Overlander had horribly dirty white carpet from the PO. We stripped it out and are now looking at non-carpet options for the floor. My husband really wants to place a floating floor. We are are having a problem with a metal strip/trim piece. Our wardrobe, desk, and pantry have a metal strip screwed directly into the sub floor, which might be structural to the unit. Here are some pictures. The strip raises up less than a quarter of an inch. To give you an indication, my husband took these pictures with the plank from our gaucho bed.

I know a lot of people place the floor under the cabinets but my husband is not fond of the idea of cutting the cabinets down (there is not a gap). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! This is our first A/S and our first remodel!!

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Does that metal strip span across the aisle/walkway?

If so, how about butting the floating floor almost up to it, then covering it over with a thin threshold piece?

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Unscrew it and see whats under it. If it's necessary that it be replaced ( I can"t imagine that it's structural) I agree cover it with a small threshold once the floor is installed.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:34 AM   #4
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
it is connected directly to the sub floor. it runs under the entire front of the cabinet, behind the cabinet front, not just under the doors. It is riveted into the cabinet front as well.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-09-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
It might be a spacer to keep the cabinetry aligned during installation. Even if the cabinets are solid, I'd be inclined to leave it in place.

Just run the flooring up to it, leaviing only a small gap so the floor floats. Once that cabinet door is closed I don't think you'll notice that strip. If it bothers you that much, maybe it could be covered with a threshold piece that goes with the floor, or you could paint it to match the floor.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
It might be a spacer to keep the cabinetry aligned during installation. Even if the cabinets are solid, I'd be inclined to leave it in place.

Just run the flooring up to it, leaviing only a small gap so the floor floats. Once that cabinet door is closed I don't think you'll notice that strip. If it bothers you that much, maybe it could be covered with a threshold piece that goes with the floor, or you could paint it to match the floor.

Christopher
This is our first A/S and our first RV renovation/restoration so we are still learning. It's not so much that the strip bothers us, we are just newbies trying to figure out how to do it properly. If there is such a thing...

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
I forgot to thank you both for the advice. We appreciate it and it give us an idea on what to do. So thanks and have a good weekend!

TAC OK-42

]

Tags
renovation, floor repair