Old 05-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1977 31' Excella 500
Emmett , Michigan
Linoleum over new flooring

I am in the midst of a total restore of a 1977 Excella and have been thinking about covering the entire floor with a single sheet of linoleum prior to reinstalling everything in the trailer. I replaced the entire floor and repaired the frame where necessary. I epoxied all of the edges then applied polyurethane to the entire floor. My initial thought was that the single sheet of linoleum would help seal out any moisture caused by spills or internal leaks. The more I am thinking about it though, this could also easily trap moisture below it from shell leaks. The external leaks would also go unnoticed because the floor would not get wet. I think I got all the leaks sealed up, but I am sure more will pop up over the upcoming years.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. I need to make a decision so I can get started putting everything back into the trailer. I am unsure and want to do the right thing here!

Nate Dietrich
1977 Excella 500
1996 Chevy Suburban 2500
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April 2009 148.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	80033   Click image for larger version

Name:	April 2009 147.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	80034  

nd48463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Real linoleum is a natural material made up of linseed oil, wood flour on a jute backing. It is not water proof and if it is saturated from the underside, the water will eventually find its way to the surface. I think that it would be a suitable material for this application. However, a word of caution about using the sheet goods rather than tiles. There are seams in your plywood sub-floor. These seams will move slightly with the movement of your trailer. This movement will telegraph through the linoleum and cause cracking which will become visible at the surface of your floor. Not a desirable look for sheet flooring. I would recommend that you use linoleum tile and lay it in such a way that the joints between tiles are laid directly over the joints in your plywood sub-floor. This will allow for the movement without fatiguing and cracking your linoleum. Think of the joints in the tiles as being like expansion joints that are designed to allow for movement of materials without causing (or at least minimizing) damage.

Cameron & the Labradors
Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
AIR #11529
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
We used marmoleum (a modern version of linoleum) in our bathroom. It has proven to be near indestructible.

We have a floating laminate floor we installed two years ago in the rest of the trailer. While we love the look and the low maintenance (sweeping does it...) it is cold on the old tootsies on a brisk morning where the marmoleum is not.

When we inevitably redo the floors we plan on using marmoleum tile throughout.

Great stuff.

n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Marmoleum is a brand name for the product made by Forbo. Linoleum is made by other companies, but I prefer the Forbo products.
Cameron & the Labradors
Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
AIR #11529
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up Personal Experience...

We have had (sheet) Forbo Marmoleum down in our '64 GlobeTrotter for 8+ years and are so happy with it we have installed it in our '56 Safari. The GT has over 25,000 miles on it (and the Safari about 700 ). We haven't had any problems with telegraphing seams, we made sure our floors were very solid and the linoleum was professionally installed.

Cameron is right, it is a natural product that doesn't bode well with standing water though...

One other will have a seam, Marmoleum is not wide enough to go wall-to-wall without one. That is the main reason we had it installed professionally, they "weld" the seam for a flawless finish. Now if you are using the term "linoleum" generically when you actually mean "sheet vinyl" (which is an entirely different animal) that's a different story. It can be found in wider sheets and installed wall to wall. I have no personal experience with sheet vinyl in a trailer, but wouldn't recommend it either. Many are made in layers that will come apart with the trailer movement which is unavoidable.

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote