Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2016, 10:40 AM   #1
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Laminate hid major leak/water damage

So I'm in the middle of tearing out the rest of my interior (doing a full restoration), and just took out the rest of the pergo that I installed about 10-12 years ago. pulling up those last couple of pieces, and I found the sub-floor completely saturated. "poke-your-finger-through" saturated.

The location is the front street-side, just between the couch and the galley.
(73 safari--gaucho across the front; street side galley).
Not sure where the water is coming from--point is that the pergo completely hid it.

So this has me re-thinking finish floor, again. Seems to me that the only thing that wouldn't hide a leak is plain-old glue-down vinyl.

Or would it?

~thoughts~

I was still leaning toward some other type of diy click-laminate because its cheap, easy, and looks great. Plus, my original plan was not to completely gut, but I've decided that it is necessary. Now, with a completely empty trailer, a full sheet of glue-down is possible. (I shudder to think of the cost of paying for it, as I think it is probably beyond my diy capabilities.).
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I used VCT tile as the base. That might be a more DIY alternative that would give you the moisture barrier you want.
It's heavy though, make sure it fits in your GCVW budget.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I believe that it all depends on the origin of the leak. If within the walls to the wood it COULD potentially get under the OEM vinyl and any other vinyl. I left the OEM vinyl and installed the LVT over it. Behind the cabinets the OEM vinyl is a barrier if there is a plumbing leak (I hope). I do not believe there is a perfect solution other than to watch for leaks at fixtures and lines in visible areas.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:00 PM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
The leak source is within the wall. no plumbing anywhere near this spot. After looking it over some more, a likely candidate is the awning attachment point. The seam where the front end-cap section starts is "ground zero", and there is a full-length window awning that attaches there on the front main bow. I'll know for sure when I finish gutting; since the walls are coming off, there won't be any problem finding it...but the point is, such a leak could (and likely will) happen again, anytime, anywhere.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote