Old 02-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Does anyone know of any products that can withstand -40 ? My floor exploded this winter and will require a whole new floor (factory vinyl floor). I don't want to end up with the same problem next season...

Old 02-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Anything wood should be fine. Plastics are going to get brittle at those temps. Carpet would be fine as well. If you have your heart set on vinly or plastic then get some samples and put them in the freezer and see if they are still flexible at those temperatures. Anything you can do to raise temperatures will help with other plastics in the trailer. If you can use a space heater on low maybe instead of -40F it will be 0F inside the trailer.

Perry

Old 02-11-2012, 12:16 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Aage,
I think that the TrafficMaster Allure is a good choice and is one that I've looked at at Home Depot myself. It's fairly light weight, thin and I like the way the sections form overlapped connections that appear to be virtually seamless. Friday and Perry have a good point about the temperature and that needs to be explored. I just want to stay away from anything like an MDF or particle board substrate with the potential for moisture problems.

As an aside, I like your new avatar better than the previous one. It's good to see Superman typing out his big story rather than his alter ego, Clark Kent!

Old 02-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
Friday - I installed Cenvita brand vinyl planks in my AS and I expect within another year I will have to tear it out and replace it.

Problem is, they shrink in the cold and expand when it warms up. When it expands, the seams press against each and start delaminating. I live in Colorado where we have a wide range of temperatures year round.

A few days after installation, there were 1/8" gaps in the seams. In the future, I will use a product that comes in one large sheet.

That was my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Does anyone know of any products that can withstand -40 ? My floor exploded this winter and will require a whole new floor (factory vinyl floor). I don't want to end up with the same problem next season...
star kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
Flooring

I have TrafficMaster Alure in a cabin that has an elevated uninsulated floor in part of it. Put it down about 3 years ago & it has performed well and looks good. We end up tracking in a lot of sand, and it does not affect the finish. Also easy to lay. It is floating so you have to leave space around the edges and finish with trim.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Cork Anyone?

I have a 66TW and have been thinking about what type of floor to install for the last 2 years. The PO installed commercial carpeting whick I am ready to tear out tomorrow and install something else. I have always planned on installing either wood or a wood look (vinyl) floor. I have recently decided that I don't want wood because with all the natural wood cabinets, which I love, that it will be just too much wood. So it has come down to either installing a marmoleum floor or a cork floating floor. I suspect the mamoleum would wear better and would deal with any moisture issues better, but I am intrigued with the look and the idea of installing a cork floor that would contrast with the wood cabinets and yet provide a gentle and durable surface. More than anything I just like the idea of cork with its benefits, and I would like to see how well it will do as a floor for an Airstream. So has anybody out there installed a cork floor and how well is it working? Would you install it again?

Dan
Old 02-16-2012, 06:06 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Iowa City , Iowa
cork

Spoke to the cork manufacturer. Cork and the MDF substrate is hydroscopic. Not good. He recommened sheet vinyl.

Phil
Old 02-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Honestly, we used discontinued laminate on our first trailer. It still looks great. We got it dirt cheap. The second trailer we bought discontinued hardwood that is glued down. Again we got a fantastic price and it looks great. So we always go for the discontinued discount floors.

Brian
Old 02-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It is pretty much impossible to find a flooring product that won't degrade when wet and won't hold water against the sub floor.

Perry
Old 02-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #38
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana62448 View Post
Spoke to the cork manufacturer. Cork and the MDF substrate is hydroscopic. Not good. He recommened sheet vinyl.

Phil
What if there was a liner under the cork, like that vapour barrier plastic?

Wouldn't that protect the substrate?
Old 02-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It might protect it from water coming from below. It would need to go up the walls a little or the water leaking from the inner skin might get on top of the barrier. Also if you have things like leaking door gaskets that create puddles on the inside it would bypass the barrier. Probably some sort of plastic flooring is going to be the best.

Use something cheap and plan on replacing it eventually.

Perry
Old 02-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Sheet vinyl may be the best flooring material to use, but I just refuse to use this product especially in a 46 year old Airstream.

I am planning on going with a cork floating floor and putting a couple of coats of polyurethane on it to protect the core from water spills. My stream does not leak (now) and my biggest concern might be a leaking water tank (new) or a leaking water heater (also new). If I have to replace the cork in 5-10 years, I will just be happy that I am still around to change the floor and that I am still airstreaming! Also with it being a floating floor, it will be easy to replace.

Dan
Old 02-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would don't think cork would have too many issues with water but the substrate might. Can't you find some that is solid cork that does not have the particle board substrate? You are going to put polyurathane where?

Perry
Old 02-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Touring Dan, why not use a linoleum, such as Marmoleum, if you don't want vinyl? Linoleum is a natural product and very suitable to the appearance of an Airstream (not to mention period correct for older trailers). Some of the VCT (vinyl composite tile) out there, such as the Amtico, would also be suitable.

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote