Old 09-15-2011, 06:38 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Cameron

I have read about some of the adhesive problems they have had especially back in 08 and 09. I can only hope that they have corrected the problem and I plan to install it carefully in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions. And then I will keep my fingers crossed. Until I install a floor, I will be open to alternatives. I just don't like the idea of installing a vinyl floor in a 45 year old trailer.

Thanks for the heads up.

Dan

Old 09-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
If you don't like the idea of vinyl, have you considered linoleum? A product like Marmoleum comes in a huge selection of colours and styles, most of which would be 'historically accurate' for a 45 year old trailer. It's a natural product, so there is no dangerous off-gassing to worry about.

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:34 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Cameron

We have been planning always to install a real wood floor in our Tradewind. We will now consider Marmoleum, to see if we can find a color/pattern that we are happy with. With all the real wood in the 66 Tradewind, it may look actually better than a wood floor.

Dan
Old 09-16-2011, 08:08 AM   #18

Cameron

We installed Pergo several years ago. The trailer is in 115 degree heat in the summer and 20 degree cold in the winter. We have two dogs that have wet feet. Hear this NO PROBLEMS whatsovever ! We istalled it length wize, front to back.

Steve
Old 09-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Steve, In my experience, laminate floors don't stand up well to moisture. If you read the fine print that comes with laminate flooring, it specifically cautions about moisture (even from wet mopping). Now, I live on the West coast of British Columbia which is more often wet than dry. During the rainy season, things stay damp and don't have the chance to dry between rain events like they do in your part of the world. So, perhaps laminate is okay for your climate, but I would still discourage it's use in any wet or humid environment. Each product has it's pros and cons and it's up to each individual to weigh those and make an informed decision.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Perry,
Did you make a decision on the kind of flooring yet? I was planning to use a laminate but the flooring folks that I've talked to suggested that I avoid it because of moisture concerns on the fiber board backing. Several have suggested a vinyl that has self adhesive lap joints. I'm still undecided about this, but I'd like your thoughts on the subject.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 02-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have not made a decision yet. I am trying to get all the leaks fixed which needs to be done before putting any flooring in. I have solid oak in my house and it does not like getting wet on a regular basis and it is a lot more water resistant than laminate. The problem with all wood and laminate flooring is the edges are not sealed so water can penetrate and cause problems. If I use laminate it won't be in front of the door where it is likely to get wet.

Perry
Old 02-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Laminate Floor Not Damaged by Moisture

My previous AS (1996) had blue carpet that faded badly. I took it out and did a lot of research in laminate flooring. I too was concerned about the moisture problem. I found a laminate flooring that had a thicker laminate top and the bottom was a hollow tube plastic substrate. It was thus not susceptible to water damage. I used it for five years before selling for a larger trailer. The floor still looked new at the time I sold it. I don't remember the brand name but if anyone is interested, send me a PM and I will try to find it.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It has been suggested to get samples of different flooring materials and soak them in water overnight and see which one holds up the best.

Perry
Old 02-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Perry:
I have engineered hardwood (antique heart pine) installed in my AS. It is working out well. Most products have their pro's and cons. I personally am not a big fan of laminate and pergo; I do not like the hollow sound/feel of the floating application and the surface texture. This is just my preference. From a purely functional perspective, any sheet vinyl-type product, vinyl/composite tiles, will function best. There are some fantastic options in these products that are available that you may have to hunt for but well worth the look).
I have used AMTICO products in my commercial interior projects. This is a solid vinyl tile product....water/ moisture does not affect it at all. They have traditional applications and some really incredible options that you may not have thought about. Here is the link to the site: Product Search - Amtico
Look at the pattern/ metallic tiles in the commercial lines; these are perfectly flat and smooth but look 3D from all angles. Stud Zinc - Amtico
There are also wood options in the same product.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
c lewis77,
This is good information! I'm going to look further into Amtico. I've just now briefly looked at their web site and it looks interesting. What you are saying about the vinyl agrees what flooring suppliers have told me locally.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
My experience with the vinyl tiles have not been that great. Some don't stick. Some shrink over time. Some have glue that comes out between the seams. The Roll stuff is not real fun to work with and it costs as much as laminate. I am sure things have gotten better over the years and you get what you pay for.

Perry
Old 02-09-2012, 01:19 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
I'm not sure if we'll get to it with the latest round of renovations but at some point I think we'll replace our "pergo type" flooring with Marmoleum. I like that it's a more "natural" product - no gassing issues plus it comes in some pretty cool colors/patterns. The wood look we have is in good condition but we have so much oak in the trailer now with all the cabinets and walls, I thought it would be nice to break it up a bit with another "texture". Our renovation guy really likes it and I saw a floor he'd done in an AS and I thought it was bamboo flooring when I first looked at it ..it looked fantastic!

https://www.facebook.com/starlettediary
Suzzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #28
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I'm putting the cork-design TrafficMaster Allure flooring in Henri this summer. Can't wait for it to be warm enough to do that!

We put it in our kitchen a year ago, and it was just as easy to do and attractive as I had hoped it would be. No wear signs either, despite a one-year-old granddaughter that loves to bang pot lids and big spoons on it.

My hearing is another issue though. Eh?