Old 07-20-2007, 04:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1990 25' Airstream 250
Bluffton , South Carolina
How to proceed

I think you described the two choices clearly. If the underfloor is sound, as determined by inspection and testing, I would seal it and install the new flooring.

If, after inspecting, you discover that the subfloor has deteriorated, I would remove the tile using the precautions you describe and repair the damage.

Avions are really great trailers and I am really pleased that there is an interest in maintaining and restoring them. A 1988 34' was my home for several years. I miss it. We liked to kid the Airstream folks that we could store a cerial box upright in the overhead cabinets.

Pop Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:44 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
I havent been able to get the cerial boxes to fit.
Maybe I might have take out the encyclopedia books, and put the Microwave on the counter......

Champagne wishes and Caviar dreams!
Budwieser budget.
volvophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:31 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
but seriosly folks...

The state of Colorado has a handy website for remodeling/demolishing houses with asbestos containing material:
Asbestos Compliance Assistance Group

Somewhere in the policy declerations, they mention that VAT is considered nonfriable (doesnt produce dust) if handled reasonably and doesnt need to be disposed of like the other material.
I think I do remember reading in there that you need to double-bag it in contractors bags, with a tag that has your name and address when you take it to the landfill.

I would imagine that thier is a bigger risk of asbestos dust from the old brake pads than in the floor tiles.

One disturbing factoid I just read in there is that, although the ban in the US came into full effect in '78, its not banned in Mexico or Canada.
And under NAFTA, imports from Canada and Mexico are not subject to the ban, so even if your house or trailer was built after '78, there no guarantee of being asbestos free.
Now you know why your mother always warned you about Canadian Floor Tiles eh?

In adition to the Avion, I'm remodeling our basement that has VAT over bare concrete. I'm opting to leave it and seal it there for the added insulation and vapor barrier. But then agian, Im not worried about the curb wieght of my basement.

Champagne wishes and Caviar dreams!
Budwieser budget.
volvophile is offline   Reply With Quote