Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Installing marmoleum - DIY or get a pro?

I've decided on the Marmoleum sheets for the flooring. Like that it's seamless. However, I'm nervous about doing it right. It's the first thing going down before install everything else. Who else has installed this? Did you do it yourself? Any problems come up after a hot summer or freezing winter?

I found a certified Forbo installer and he wants $1,300 for the cost of labor and underlayment. I have to provide the adhesive, weld and floor material. Seems extremely high.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
I've decided on the Marmoleum sheets for the flooring. Like that it's seamless. However, I'm nervous about doing it right. It's the first thing going down before install everything else. Who else has installed this? Did you do it yourself? Any problems come up after a hot summer or freezing winter?

I found a certified Forbo installer and he wants $1,300 for the cost of labor and underlayment. I have to provide the adhesive, weld and floor material. Seems extremely high.
Marmoleum comes six feet wide. It won't be seamless as your trailer is seven feet wide. I like the click panels, DIY installation.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1777.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	105029  
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
You can do it

Adwriter:

See post # 60 here for shots of my Marmoleum floor:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...l-13686-5.html

The product cost about $700.00 Canadian for a 24’ Argosy trailer four years ago. We installed it ourselves. It was not difficult to do.

Bill is right about about the 6’ width but if you install all your cabinetry and counters along one wall, as I did, the effect will be seamless. You can hardly see the seam, in any case, but if you bury it under the furniture you wont see it at all.

I’ve lived in my trailer for 3 summers now. The floor is gorgeous to look at and a marvel to keep clean.

Sergei

SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Whoops....

see post #63 too.

The Marmoleum cost was only $500. The rest was sub floor prep, perhaps not neccessary.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
sheet marmoleum for my 21 GT was about $160, free shipping. we plan to diy.

ShowArticle - Green Building Supply
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We had ours (in both trailers) installed professionally. I figured, that is the first thing to go in and if it fails, to replace it means everything would have to come out again. I did not want to depend on my novice ability for that risk.

We've had it down 9 years in our GT and this is our second season on our Safari. I LOVE it and wouldn't consider doing anything differently. The best money we ever spent...and one of the very few things we didn't do ourselves. Although, I was able to find an installer who installed it for about $350 + material, including floor prep and seam welding. If you want to drag it to CO he could save you the cost of your trip and then some - no problem!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
We had ours (in both trailers) installed professionally. I figured, that is the first thing to go in and if it fails, to replace it means everything would have to come out again. I did not want to depend on my novice ability for that risk.

We've had it down 9 years in our GT and this is our second season on our Safari. I LOVE it and wouldn't consider doing anything differently. The best money we ever spent...and one of the very few things we didn't do ourselves. Although, I was able to find an installer who installed it for about $350 + material, including floor prep and seam welding. If you want to drag it to CO he could save you the cost of your trip and then some - no problem!

Shari
Haha, perfect! I was looking at it being "professionally" done for the same reason as you. Maybe I should consider pulling it to someone else.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
Adwriter:

See post # 60 here for shots of my Marmoleum floor:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...l-13686-5.html

The product cost about $700.00 Canadian for a 24’ Argosy trailer four years ago. We installed it ourselves. It was not difficult to do.

Bill is right about about the 6’ width but if you install all your cabinetry and counters along one wall, as I did, the effect will be seamless. You can hardly see the seam, in any case, but if you bury it under the furniture you wont see it at all.

I’ve lived in my trailer for 3 summers now. The floor is gorgeous to look at and a marvel to keep clean.

Sergei

Thanks, Sergei. I will check out the thread. I've read a lot about you. You're a legend on here! I'm actually considering Ikea cabinets, too. I see you installed those (I'll save my questions and comments on that for another thread.)
Old 06-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1986 27' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
My husband put ours in.

I can send you a number of the place where I bought our Marmoleum. Maybe they can point you in the right direction for installation if you want another quote. That seems high.
read about our adventures in renovation
janiemerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:21 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by janiemerle View Post
My husband put ours in.

I can send you a number of the place where I bought our Marmoleum. Maybe they can point you in the right direction for installation if you want another quote. That seems high.

Hey neighbor! A number would be great. I'm talking with Green Living (in Lakewood area). This is their installer. Also, I want to come over and see the work you guys have done on yours. I'm really far behind.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I put mine in but it was only the bedroom hallway. No big deal but here is a couple of tips from the factory and professional installers. Put down 1/4 smooth finish plywood over the existing plywood floor screwed down and countersunk in a grid every 4 inches. You need to use the Forbo adhesive for sheet Marmoleum which is only sold by the gallon or 5 gallon.

I have most of a gallon left over if anyone needs it.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I know this is a little late, but in the big cities (Dallas or Houston or the like) don't forget designer showrooms or specialty houses. We talked our way into one in the design district (Oak Lawn) as: [1] we knew what we wanted; and [2] experience in real estate was a real help; plus [3] a business tax number. Access to the "very best" installers is what we wanted. While we did not use their man we were happy to use their expertise in choosing the cork supplier (we were called away to another city and used a showroom installer there [C.O. Burnet in Corpus Christi]). We did much of the initial floor prep ourselves.

People tend to look askance at the term "travel trailer" but "cool, vintage aluminum, and like a sailboat" put it in perspective in light of their upper-end clientele.

Marmoleum was the first choice but we could not get a complementary match to walls, trim, etc in our Silver Streak. Turned out that cork tile was a better choice for insulation both physical and acoustical.

A design house is also aware of other possibilities don't forget. The right floor surface can last as long as the trailer. Just have to accommodate floor movement.

We used to live in Lakewood, and the irritating owners of Green Living were terrible about finding and returning information about our questions in re some of their other products. Good, I suppose, that they are still in business . . learned their lesson?

Are they carrying OSMO Hard Wax yet? Said to be great for repairs (prep and refinish any wood surface per specified product). No VOC's, approved for childrens toys, etc.

osmo NA - High quality, natural wood finishes and maintenance

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:02 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
I know this is a little late, but in the big cities (Dallas or Houston or the like) don't forget designer showrooms or specialty houses. We talked our way into one in the design district (Oak Lawn) as: [1] we knew what we wanted; and [2] experience in real estate was a real help; plus [3] a business tax number. Access to the "very best" installers is what we wanted. While we did not use their man we were happy to use their expertise in choosing the cork supplier (we were called away to another city and used a showroom installer there [C.O. Burnet in Corpus Christi]). We did much of the initial floor prep ourselves.

People tend to look askance at the term "travel trailer" but "cool, vintage aluminum, and like a sailboat" put it in perspective in light of their upper-end clientele.

Marmoleum was the first choice but we could not get a complementary match to walls, trim, etc in our Silver Streak. Turned out that cork tile was a better choice for insulation both physical and acoustical.

A design house is also aware of other possibilities don't forget. The right floor surface can last as long as the trailer. Just have to accommodate floor movement.

We used to live in Lakewood, and the irritating owners of Green Living were terrible about finding and returning information about our questions in re some of their other products. Good, I suppose, that they are still in business . . learned their lesson?

Are they carrying OSMO Hard Wax yet? Said to be great for repairs (prep and refinish any wood surface per specified product). No VOC's, approved for childrens toys, etc.

osmo NA - High quality, natural wood finishes and maintenance

Good advice here. I did talk to some design shops (I have a contracting business on the side), but I decided that the best solution for me was to go with sheet vinyl. It was not only inexpensive, but fairly easy to install and should hold up to extreme temperatures pretty well. I also decided on sheet vinyl as it is only tacked down along the perimeter, so if I need to pull it up for some reason, then I can do so with less difficulty than marmoleum. Aesthetically speaking, it is not as "cool" as the marmoleum, but it does look nicer than the old-school, shiney and brittle vinyl. Time will tell how well it holds up.