Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-16-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
 
adwriter73's Avatar
 
1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 352
Images: 9
Installing marmoleum - DIY or get a pro?

I've decided on the Marmoleum sheets for the flooring. Like that it's seamless. However, I'm nervous about doing it right. It's the first thing going down before install everything else. Who else has installed this? Did you do it yourself? Any problems come up after a hot summer or freezing winter?

I found a certified Forbo installer and he wants $1,300 for the cost of labor and underlayment. I have to provide the adhesive, weld and floor material. Seems extremely high.
__________________

adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
wkerfoot's Avatar
 
1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
I've decided on the Marmoleum sheets for the flooring. Like that it's seamless. However, I'm nervous about doing it right. It's the first thing going down before install everything else. Who else has installed this? Did you do it yourself? Any problems come up after a hot summer or freezing winter?

I found a certified Forbo installer and he wants $1,300 for the cost of labor and underlayment. I have to provide the adhesive, weld and floor material. Seems extremely high.
Marmoleum comes six feet wide. It won't be seamless as your trailer is seven feet wide. I like the click panels, DIY installation.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1777.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	105029  
__________________

__________________
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
SmokelessJoe's Avatar
 
1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,422
You can do it

Adwriter:

See post # 60 here for shots of my Marmoleum floor:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...l-13686-5.html

The product cost about $700.00 Canadian for a 24’ Argosy trailer four years ago. We installed it ourselves. It was not difficult to do.

Bill is right about about the 6’ width but if you install all your cabinetry and counters along one wall, as I did, the effect will be seamless. You can hardly see the seam, in any case, but if you bury it under the furniture you wont see it at all.

I’ve lived in my trailer for 3 summers now. The floor is gorgeous to look at and a marvel to keep clean.

Sergei


__________________
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
SmokelessJoe's Avatar
 
1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,422
Whoops....

see post #63 too.

The Marmoleum cost was only $500. The rest was sub floor prep, perhaps not neccessary.


Sergei
__________________
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
Birdie Momma
 
NJtoNC's Avatar
 
1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 904
sheet marmoleum for my 21 GT was about $160, free shipping. we plan to diy.

ShowArticle - Green Building Supply
__________________
'57 Overlander | '56 Flying Cloud | '51 Spartanette
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
InsideOut's Avatar

 
1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 11,793
Images: 108
We had ours (in both trailers) installed professionally. I figured, that is the first thing to go in and if it fails, to replace it means everything would have to come out again. I did not want to depend on my novice ability for that risk.

We've had it down 9 years in our GT and this is our second season on our Safari. I LOVE it and wouldn't consider doing anything differently. The best money we ever spent...and one of the very few things we didn't do ourselves. Although, I was able to find an installer who installed it for about $350 + material, including floor prep and seam welding. If you want to drag it to CO he could save you the cost of your trip and then some - no problem!

Shari
__________________
Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:23 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
 
adwriter73's Avatar
 
1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 352
Images: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
We had ours (in both trailers) installed professionally. I figured, that is the first thing to go in and if it fails, to replace it means everything would have to come out again. I did not want to depend on my novice ability for that risk.

We've had it down 9 years in our GT and this is our second season on our Safari. I LOVE it and wouldn't consider doing anything differently. The best money we ever spent...and one of the very few things we didn't do ourselves. Although, I was able to find an installer who installed it for about $350 + material, including floor prep and seam welding. If you want to drag it to CO he could save you the cost of your trip and then some - no problem!

Shari
Haha, perfect! I was looking at it being "professionally" done for the same reason as you. Maybe I should consider pulling it to someone else.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
 
adwriter73's Avatar
 
1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 352
Images: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
Adwriter:

See post # 60 here for shots of my Marmoleum floor:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...l-13686-5.html

The product cost about $700.00 Canadian for a 24’ Argosy trailer four years ago. We installed it ourselves. It was not difficult to do.

Bill is right about about the 6’ width but if you install all your cabinetry and counters along one wall, as I did, the effect will be seamless. You can hardly see the seam, in any case, but if you bury it under the furniture you wont see it at all.

I’ve lived in my trailer for 3 summers now. The floor is gorgeous to look at and a marvel to keep clean.

Sergei


Thanks, Sergei. I will check out the thread. I've read a lot about you. You're a legend on here! I'm actually considering Ikea cabinets, too. I see you installed those (I'll save my questions and comments on that for another thread.)
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
janiemerle's Avatar
 
1977 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 79
My husband put ours in.

I can send you a number of the place where I bought our Marmoleum. Maybe they can point you in the right direction for installation if you want another quote. That seems high.
__________________
janie
wbcci 7078 :: air 4125 :: tac TX-77
read about our adventures in renovation
janiemerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member
 
adwriter73's Avatar
 
1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 352
Images: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by janiemerle View Post
My husband put ours in.

I can send you a number of the place where I bought our Marmoleum. Maybe they can point you in the right direction for installation if you want another quote. That seems high.

Hey neighbor! A number would be great. I'm talking with Green Living (in Lakewood area). This is their installer. Also, I want to come over and see the work you guys have done on yours. I'm really far behind.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Lumatic's Avatar

 
1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,642
Images: 16
Blog Entries: 1
I put mine in but it was only the bedroom hallway. No big deal but here is a couple of tips from the factory and professional installers. Put down 1/4 smooth finish plywood over the existing plywood floor screwed down and countersunk in a grid every 4 inches. You need to use the Forbo adhesive for sheet Marmoleum which is only sold by the gallon or 5 gallon.

I have most of a gallon left over if anyone needs it.
__________________
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #12
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,598
Images: 1
I know this is a little late, but in the big cities (Dallas or Houston or the like) don't forget designer showrooms or specialty houses. We talked our way into one in the design district (Oak Lawn) as: [1] we knew what we wanted; and [2] experience in real estate was a real help; plus [3] a business tax number. Access to the "very best" installers is what we wanted. While we did not use their man we were happy to use their expertise in choosing the cork supplier (we were called away to another city and used a showroom installer there [C.O. Burnet in Corpus Christi]). We did much of the initial floor prep ourselves.

People tend to look askance at the term "travel trailer" but "cool, vintage aluminum, and like a sailboat" put it in perspective in light of their upper-end clientele.

Marmoleum was the first choice but we could not get a complementary match to walls, trim, etc in our Silver Streak. Turned out that cork tile was a better choice for insulation both physical and acoustical.

A design house is also aware of other possibilities don't forget. The right floor surface can last as long as the trailer. Just have to accommodate floor movement.

We used to live in Lakewood, and the irritating owners of Green Living were terrible about finding and returning information about our questions in re some of their other products. Good, I suppose, that they are still in business . . learned their lesson?

Are they carrying OSMO Hard Wax yet? Said to be great for repairs (prep and refinish any wood surface per specified product). No VOC's, approved for childrens toys, etc.

osmo NA - High quality, natural wood finishes and maintenance

.
__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 9-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member
 
adwriter73's Avatar
 
1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 352
Images: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
I know this is a little late, but in the big cities (Dallas or Houston or the like) don't forget designer showrooms or specialty houses. We talked our way into one in the design district (Oak Lawn) as: [1] we knew what we wanted; and [2] experience in real estate was a real help; plus [3] a business tax number. Access to the "very best" installers is what we wanted. While we did not use their man we were happy to use their expertise in choosing the cork supplier (we were called away to another city and used a showroom installer there [C.O. Burnet in Corpus Christi]). We did much of the initial floor prep ourselves.

People tend to look askance at the term "travel trailer" but "cool, vintage aluminum, and like a sailboat" put it in perspective in light of their upper-end clientele.

Marmoleum was the first choice but we could not get a complementary match to walls, trim, etc in our Silver Streak. Turned out that cork tile was a better choice for insulation both physical and acoustical.

A design house is also aware of other possibilities don't forget. The right floor surface can last as long as the trailer. Just have to accommodate floor movement.

We used to live in Lakewood, and the irritating owners of Green Living were terrible about finding and returning information about our questions in re some of their other products. Good, I suppose, that they are still in business . . learned their lesson?

Are they carrying OSMO Hard Wax yet? Said to be great for repairs (prep and refinish any wood surface per specified product). No VOC's, approved for childrens toys, etc.

osmo NA - High quality, natural wood finishes and maintenance

.

Good advice here. I did talk to some design shops (I have a contracting business on the side), but I decided that the best solution for me was to go with sheet vinyl. It was not only inexpensive, but fairly easy to install and should hold up to extreme temperatures pretty well. I also decided on sheet vinyl as it is only tacked down along the perimeter, so if I need to pull it up for some reason, then I can do so with less difficulty than marmoleum. Aesthetically speaking, it is not as "cool" as the marmoleum, but it does look nicer than the old-school, shiney and brittle vinyl. Time will tell how well it holds up.
__________________

adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY or go pro panel replacement truckasaurus Ribs, Skins & Rivets 28 03-06-2017 01:36 PM
Marmoleum? StingrayL82 Floor Finishes 43 08-16-2016 07:25 AM
Marmoleum Flooring J-n-A Our Community 34 03-11-2013 12:13 AM
Installing Marmoleum Lumatic Floor Finishes 10 08-19-2009 02:04 PM
Marmoleum swelling! modarch Floor Finishes 4 06-04-2009 12:57 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.