Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Carson City , Nevada
Industrial rubber flooring

Has anyone ever used or seen Pirelli (or similar) industrial rubber flooring used in an Airstream? Seems that it would be nearly ideal for my use... highly resistant to dogs, muddy boots, cooking spills, etc.

Thanks!
Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Johnsonite makes rubber floors. Probably at a better price point, too. The problem with these floors is that they look, well, industrial. The colour selection is often pretty rudimentary as well. Try having a look at Marmoleum. It's a natural product and very durable. Or, any of the Tarkett flooring products. Both are used institutionally and have very good track records for durability.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Carson City , Nevada
Cameron

Thanks for your response - I will check the Marmoleum products.

I like the studded Pirelli rubber flooring look - just seems to go with the aluminum look - and the link below shows 20 colors from black to brilliant.

Studded Rubber Flooring Products

Mike
Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Mike:

I used that black PIRELLI rubber flooring in a 40’ long Director’s Trailer that I had built for CIRCUS TIVOLI.

That was TWENTY SIX years ago so I don’t remember everything about it but my lasting impression is that it looked better as brand new sheet goods than it did after it was used for a couple of months. Something like the difference between a brand new and a used tire.

It looks wonderful in airports but they can use an industrial scrubbing machine on it in the wee hours of the morning.

I think I also remember the glue gassing off in the enclosed space of the trailer.

The total look of the trailer was stunning. I still have some of the green plastic furniture by KARTELL. I brought it over from Italy, were the tent and some other parts of the circus were made.

In the ARGOSY trailer that I’m finishing now I’ve used MARMOLEUM in a deep grey. I really, really like it. It’s been down for the whole two-year renovation, shows no wear and is very easy to clean.

You can find pictures here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ase-18448.html

Search for Marmoleum.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
My only concern would be thet the rubber floor may trap moisture and cause the plywood underneath to rot.

Keep in mind I don't actually know that to be true.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #6
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
My only concern would be that the rubber floor may trap moisture and cause the plywood underneath to rot.
...and weight. Rubber matting seems to have an amount of heft (if it's not just a thin sheet). Ever check out those anti-fatigue mats for the shop? Those suckers are heavy!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:11 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Christmas Valley , Oregon
Rubber floor

Here are some pics of what I was decribing in our PM. We chose rubber flooring for the same reasons you stated. We never realized how nasty the carpet was untill I pulled it out! I installed 3/8 foil-backed insulation and put the rubber on top of that. We wanted to cut down on heat, noise, etc. I bought the thicker matting but probably could have got by with the thinner. (I do tend to get carried away!) This is a first for us but we're trying to send pictures along. Regards, Phil and Sam
Diesel Phil is offline   Reply With Quote