Old 04-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Gresham , Oregon
I've done a lot of floating laminate around the house. On the scale of difficulty, I think this will be the easiest job this "vintage" trailer has tossed at me, from wiring issues, to rotted subfloors, to burst pipes and leaky tank valves. I'm actually looking forward to taking a break from real repairs and just doing a floor.

My original plan was to install sideways, put the first pieces flush to the front gaucho. Then, as I hammer in the next pieces and they click in, the floor will remain as far forward as possible, which would happen the first time I apply the brakes down the road anyway. I don't want there to be any movement at all during driving except temperature expansion.

Also, if that movement forward isn't minimized, then those pesky little turns around the bathroom doors, etc. could be a source of headaches if I cut those to a 1/4" and the floor slide forward 3/8". I'd end up with separation around those parts. If I install from the front back, always keeping the floating floor flush with the front couch, I won't have to worry about those little areas.

I plan to continue the flooring only to visible points, not under the gaucho. If I did, though, I would install the couch to the subfloor first, then install laminate floor around and underneath. Or, if it is enclosed, a completely different section of flooring.

I am now beginning to wonder about lengthwise installation. Hmmmm... I wonder if that would look better.

Drat, now our little Argy is starting to grow on me. I guess you were...were...were...right, honey.
OregonArgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:00 AM   #16
Hypnotist

1982 28' Airstream 280
las vegas , Nevada
flooring...

All I know Is that it is more likley to buckle in an rv with a lengthwise install and you dont have to take my word for it there are more posts on flooring then any other I think.......

I have read and did read through all of them and I was stubborn and laid my floor lengthwise first and it does look pretty however as the floor shifted it would gap because the end locks are not as strong as the side locks... Now I laid bamboo and if the laminate flooring you are laying locks more firmly lengthwise then go for it...

Now keep in mind this commentary is originally from an RV guy to an RV guy... Not to not include everyone with a trailer however the classic RVs do handle differently and have different stresses then the trailers especially with the P30 chassis.....

Justin

Old 04-18-2008, 04:33 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhypnotist
I have read and did read through all of them and I was stubborn and laid my floor lengthwise first and it does look pretty however as the floor shifted it would gap because the end locks are not as strong as the side locks...
I never thought of this problem with laying lengthways. I guess this issue is the decider. It does make absolute sense that there would be more possibility of end to end separation than side to side separation.

VERY good point. No I haven't spent too much time on the floor finishes part of the forums. Thanks for the heads-up, jjhypnotist.

Drat, now our little Argy is starting to grow on me. I guess you were...were...were...right, honey.
OregonArgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:09 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Custer Park , Illinois
Thanks for the replys. I kinda figured that when the floor shifts and settles, it probably won't shift again, except for minor expansion and contraction due to temperature. As for it shifting toward the front, that should be expected due to stopping is more prevalant than taking off. As for my MH, it don't take off very fast and with the gas prices the way they are, if I took off fast my gas guage and economy gauge will go crazy.