Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Has anyone tried this flooring?

I am shopping for flooring for the AS and have been debating the merits of the various types. I stopped at a local store and they showed me Konecto. This is a floating vinyl plank floor, very flexible and water resistant.

Has anyone tried this?

You can get more information here:Welcome to Konecto.
wannaroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Smile Hi,

I looket at a lot of floors and put in carpet all the way.I took out the piece of linoleun out and carpet the whole trailer with 1" padding and the carpet was a heavy duty office carpet. We wanted to have it warmer in the AS. We go to to Alaska every year. Except this year when they had to remove a melenoma out of top of my head.
Regards from Russell in sunny and hot Tucson Az.
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Actually, I'm glad you posted that link. How much is it?

I looked again at your post and you said "floating." Ours was glue down. I'll have to study the link more and figure out how it works.

We put something very simular down in our new Maternity wing of the hospital I used to work out some years ago. It held up well, was warm on the feet, and looked great.

Do you have a store near by that sells it?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
I installed a Pergoe floating floor in our motorhome last year, and we love it. Easy to keep clean, and looks great too.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
A very interesting product. I watched the vidio. The only question I would have is you have to have a strong "Clean" floor underneath. Vinyl will transfer and surface irregularites over time.

I installed a Floating Armsrtong flooring in my trailer last year. In doing that job I removed everthing but the kitchen sink cabinet to reduce cutting and the need for molding. The removal only took about an hour. In areas where I had to screw down anything while reinstalling the cabinets I drilled an oversize hole in the flooring to retain the floatinf aspect. You may want to consider that approach.

http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...?i=15045&c=507

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:38 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Interesting. Would be less weight than real wood.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:24 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Thumbs up re: Konecto

Russell - with my two dogs (messy) and my hubby (messier) carpet isn't an option.

3Ms75Argosy - if you opt for the plainer design it is only about $1.69 sf ! If you go with the fancier design with more wood grain look it is about $3.60 sf. The product is very flexible and isn't glued down to the floor, it glues to itself and then floats. You can then take a plank of two out if need be. Might be good in case you have a leak and need to check/repair floor.

HowieE - according to the salesperson, and the info on the back of the samples it will go over and hide small irregularities in the subfloor.

cooperhawk - The things that I didn't like about the pergo was the concern over the mdf layer with the potential of getting wet. Not that my AS would ever have a leak, though. *sniff*

What I like about this is it has a nice feel to it, is very flexible, not too thick so no door issues from the floor being too high, and is very water resistant. The higher end product has a fairly realistic wood look to it too. The sample is marked on the back:
Completely waterproof
guaranteed not to chip or crack
absorbs sound
covers surface irregularities on sub floor
cuts and fits easily
No adhesives required

....and more but that's the pertinent parts

I think that we may go with this.
wannaroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
I installed Marmoleum linoleum 13" squares in my Bambi II last year. They needed to be glued down individually so it was alot of work but well worth the effort. My primary criteria for choosing this type of flooring was I wanted it to have the same height as the original flooring so I could install it underneath the cabinets, walls and gauchos. It is as close to the original linoleum as I could find. I went with the glue-down flooring instead of the "float" or "click" styles because I didn't want to install floor moulding to cover the gap that needs to be left between the wall and floor.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:08 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
That's the stuff we are putting in Felix as soon as we get a chance. I was under the impression that Home Depot was only place that had it for sale. We have had a sample (HD gave us a sample soon after it came out, now you have to return any samples) in Felix for the past two months, even during remodeling it has no visible damage.

Derek
dnrtheil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I don't know about this brand but was considering vinyl planks in the past. i contacted the manufacturer who told me installing in a TT was not recomended because of the extremes in temperatures when in storage.

But then I have put other unrecommended products in my coach with no problems.

PS-I ended putting in wood flooring. That manufacturer did not recommend it either.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:28 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Diana Langley
How much of a gap do you need to allow for flexing where the floor meets the walls? Do you just leave it as a gap or do you fill it with foam, felt, or something else?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Diana Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:10 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Swan Lake , Montana
Thumbs up Konecto - the floor I have been searching for!

Hats off to "wannaroam" for putting out the information on Konecto flooring. My opinion - this is the greatest flooring on the market - completely waterproof - very nice looking and the directions make it seem easy to install. I am ordering the "Prestige" series in "Sunset". I will add to this thread when it arrives and I have it installed. Anyone looking for a low maintenance flooring solution should take a second look at this! Be sure and look at the actual product samples - they should be available at your local carpet/flooring store. Carol
highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
What About the Flexibility?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by highmark
Hats off to "wannaroam" for putting out the information on Konecto flooring. My opinion - this is the greatest flooring on the market - completely waterproof - very nice looking and the directions make it seem easy to install. I am ordering the "Prestige" series in "Sunset". I will add to this thread when it arrives and I have it installed. Anyone looking for a low maintenance flooring solution should take a second look at this! Be sure and look at the actual product samples - they should be available at your local carpet/flooring store. Carol
This looks like a product inherently designed for Airstreams... until you read the subfloor requirements.
"All subfloors must be sound, solid and have little flexibility" in big bold letters with extra shading.

Airstream floors are constantly flexing as you roll down the great highway of life.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:52 PM   #14
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
"All subfloors must be sound, solid and have little flexibility" in big bold letters with extra shading. Airstream floors are constantly flexing as you roll down the great highway of life.
Anybody called "Konecto Flooring" and asked if it's OK for RV's-trailers?
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Swan Lake , Montana
Thumbs up Thanks for the "heads up"

Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
This looks like a product inherently designed for Airstreams... until you read the subfloor requirements.
"All subfloors must be sound, solid and have little flexibility" in big bold letters with extra shading.

Airstream floors are constantly flexing as you roll down the great highway of life.

Klevan - Thanks for the "heads up" in your post. My flooring dealer "forgot" to mention that the floor could not be flexible. I do see on the Konecto website that they stress the type of subfloors that are acceptable. Guess it's back to the drawing board as I was able to cancel my order in time. This is the greatest site for information - Carol
highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by highmark
Klevan - Thanks for the "heads up" in your post. My flooring dealer "forgot" to mention that the floor could not be flexible. I do see on the Konecto website that they stress the type of subfloors that are acceptable. Guess it's back to the drawing board as I was able to cancel my order in time. This is the greatest site for information - Carol
Hi Carol, you are most welcome. It would be a shame to install such a beautiful floor only to open your door and find it cracked and buckled at the end of your first, post-installation journey.

That being said, shorter Airstreams flex less than longer Airstreams, so there may be some suitability of this product for Airstreams up to a certain length if you are willing to do the research and take the risk.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
I'm pretty disappointed that highmark decided not to buy. I looked at the product yesterday and liked what I saw. I was looking forward to his/her installation. I am a little confused as to why it will be a problem. Guaranteed not to crack, etc. and it is designed as a floating floor. I'm guessing the sub-floor must not flex when walked on. Cold vinyl on a flexing subfloor over time would probably crack under foot traffic. Unless there is water or other problems, our floors aren't supposed to flex when standing still (are they?). I'm still considering this but welcome comments about my conclusion.

Greg
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Great stuff!

We had this product installed in our trailer this past Winter. It was purchased at The Home Depot and installed along with wood trim by our favorite Airstream dealer. We left only the carpet in the bedroom. This stuff looks and feels like real wood with embosed wood grain and visible knots here and there. We love the easy maintenance and authentic look. We also chose to have it installed on a forty five degree angle. The floor was installed at an inside temperature of seventy degrees with a small gap, about a playing card width, for expansion. When the trailer interior is very cold, the gap opens to about a two playing card width but closes up once the heat comes on. Very cool product and perfect for our Airstreams.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Zoomin, that is what I wanted to hear. I assume you have had no problems. I really like the low expansion rate. Laid on the diagonal??? I want to see that, do you have pics?

Greg
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:26 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Greg, No problems at all. I will be at my Airstream, currently at Highland Haven Airstream Park, this weekend and will shoot some pics for you then email them. I think you'll love this material. I love the three dimensional qualities that make ours feel like weathered wood underfoot. PM me with your prefered email address and I'll copy it as not to lose it.