Old 08-16-2007, 12:57 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Swan Lake , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrvr
I ordered the mid priced Sierra Plank. 5 cartons (112.5 square feet) which is more than I need. Will do the entire trailer (except under the sofa) with repair pieces left over. $4.13 per foot delivered. About ~$40 more than if I bought on the internet but there is a real good chance I will have it this Friday. I figured that was worth $40. We are leaving on a 10 day trip to Santa Fe at the end of this month. I want this finished before we leave. Hope it is as easy to lay as the instructions/video make it look.

Greg
Hi Greg! Looks like we have the same flooring plan. Are you planning to lay the planks side-to-side or front-to-back in your AS? I was thinking about side-to-side, but haven't received my flooring yet - always time to change my mind. Thanks - carol

Old 08-16-2007, 05:22 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Looks like most folks have gone the length of the trailer so that is what I will do also. Probably a little less cutting this way.

Good news for me, my flooring will be in Friday afternoon so my weekend is taken. Its only been 105 here the last couple of days. Hope the AC holds out.

Greg

Old 08-17-2007, 11:18 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Banks , Oregon
Wannaroam,

Thanks so much for bring your contemplation to the Forums! I'm new to the AS world and have really benefited from all of the veteran wisdom. I think this floor looks like a good fit for an AS. I have looked at several different types of vinyl with the wood look (just dont want to add the weight of Pergo and I like the idea of having something waterproof). Great choice of flooring product. We're not quite ready to install flooring yet--have to replace subfloor in the bathroom, as the PO had a waterheater leak and did not take care of it properly. But, I am pretty sure this is the floor we'll go with. Thanks again and best of luck with your flooring project. Let us know how it turns out, even if you decide to go with a different product.

Aaron
Old 08-17-2007, 11:12 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Picked up the flooring this afternoon. Starting preping the AS late this afternoon. Removed the Zip Dee chair storage cabinet, the credenza and attached folding table and both sofa storage units (right and left side of the sofa). Removed the carpet and pad (pulled a million staples) as well as the existing vinyl. So far I have installed 1.5 boxes with 3.5 to go. Tomorrow I start the intricate cuts around various obstacles.

At this point I'm pleased. I was lucky that AS left me a line on the floor right down the middle of the trailer that I could square from. Floor goes down quick but I will slow down with the cuts tomorrow. Big thing is make sure the work area is clean. The adhesive on the planks is not covered with any paper and attracts everything.

I'll post a pic or two tomorrow night.

Greg
Old 08-18-2007, 04:27 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Moving much faster than I anticipated. Lay flooring around the toilet tomorrow, then the odds and ends trim and I'm finished. Cuts easy with a carton cutter, jig saw or snips. When fitting complicated cuts, cover the adhesive area with packing paper from the flooring carton. It will re-position fairly easily but don't make a habit of it. Took the pic a few minutes ago. We really like how it looks.

Now wife gets to go shopping for a rug(s).

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1613.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	43464   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1614.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	43465  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1615.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	43466  
Old 08-18-2007, 07:48 PM   #34
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Greg!
It looks marvelous!

Nice work.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:00 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Wow, I'm impressed! Looks great!!!

Just so I understand, is this floor glued to the subfloor or does it float? It sounds like the adhesive parts of the flooring is to attach sections together but not to the floor.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:25 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
It is a floating floor. The edges overlap each other and both sides have adhesive on them so when they attach to each other, they don't like to be re-positioned. Similar to contact cement but more forgiving. The overlap is about an inch.

I'm finished, just putting in some color matched (as close as I can get from HD) caulk where there are unaccaptable gaps along the cabinets.

Greg
Old 08-20-2007, 07:05 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Swan Lake , Montana
Greg - your floor does look great! The color is perfect! One (maybe two or more) questions - do I understand you to say that you removed some of the cabinets and layed the flooring under them? If so, what provisions did you make for the shrink and expand nature of the planks? Did you put trim where the flooring meets the walls and cabinets? If so, what did you use. You mentioned colored caulking - did you use that instead of trim? Sounds alot easier than finding and cutting flexible trim. My flooring was delivered today, but won't get to it until the weekend. Can only hope mine with turn our near your perfect job! Thanks - Carol
Old 08-20-2007, 07:50 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Based on an earlier post by ZoominC6, I chose not to worry too much about expansion but acknowledge it will happen. There is enough gap in several places that I hope will take care of it. I did not use trim, just the caulk (jury is still out on the final color as it darkens over 72 hours). I did run some of the flooring under a cabinet but still believe it will expand as a single unit and will be able to move without a problem. Time will tell. My AS is stored inside but is still subject to high 90's during the summer and below freezing in the winter

Thanks for the comments. As I said, we are most satisfied. I'm sure you will be too.

Greg
Old 08-20-2007, 07:51 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
And my thanks to wannaroam for mentioning this product.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:11 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
gorgeous!

Gregg
That looks beautiful! Kudos to you, you did a great job.
I am happy that I posted something that you found of value.

We haven't gotten to the floor yet (still) - we're still not that far with renovations. I concede to being a bit disillusioned at this point. I have to depend on my hubby to work on it and he seems to have lost interest.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:11 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaroam
Gregg
That looks beautiful! Kudos to you, you did a great job.
I am happy that I posted something that you found of value.

We haven't gotten to the floor yet (still) - we're still not that far with renovations. I concede to being a bit disillusioned at this point. I have to depend on my hubby to work on it and he seems to have lost interest.
Interest in projects always comes and goes, especially large ones. Learn to look at the renovation as a lot of small projects. Finish one and you get some feeling of accomplishment, then move on to the next one. Try some of the work yourself. There are a lot of women on this Forum doing just that. This place is pretty helpful.

Thanks again.

Greg
Old 08-21-2007, 06:48 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Traffic master

Cool stuff. HD carries it as traffic master and at $40 a pack, it's a real deal.

Like other posts, I like this stuff as it is water proof and if you need to peal it up it's not the most expensive material to replace.

The one concern I have is weight. Seems to be pretty heavy stuff compared to sheet vinyl.

Google the material from HD, I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff mentioned here. There was one issue with bubbles, or fish mouth, after the install.

D

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote