Old 08-07-2007, 02:18 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Swan Lake , Montana
Thumbs up Thanks for the "heads up"

Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
This looks like a product inherently designed for Airstreams... until you read the subfloor requirements.
"All subfloors must be sound, solid and have little flexibility" in big bold letters with extra shading.

Airstream floors are constantly flexing as you roll down the great highway of life.

Klevan - Thanks for the "heads up" in your post. My flooring dealer "forgot" to mention that the floor could not be flexible. I do see on the Konecto website that they stress the type of subfloors that are acceptable. Guess it's back to the drawing board as I was able to cancel my order in time. This is the greatest site for information - Carol

Old 08-07-2007, 06:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by highmark
Klevan - Thanks for the "heads up" in your post. My flooring dealer "forgot" to mention that the floor could not be flexible. I do see on the Konecto website that they stress the type of subfloors that are acceptable. Guess it's back to the drawing board as I was able to cancel my order in time. This is the greatest site for information - Carol
Hi Carol, you are most welcome. It would be a shame to install such a beautiful floor only to open your door and find it cracked and buckled at the end of your first, post-installation journey.

That being said, shorter Airstreams flex less than longer Airstreams, so there may be some suitability of this product for Airstreams up to a certain length if you are willing to do the research and take the risk.

Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
I'm pretty disappointed that highmark decided not to buy. I looked at the product yesterday and liked what I saw. I was looking forward to his/her installation. I am a little confused as to why it will be a problem. Guaranteed not to crack, etc. and it is designed as a floating floor. I'm guessing the sub-floor must not flex when walked on. Cold vinyl on a flexing subfloor over time would probably crack under foot traffic. Unless there is water or other problems, our floors aren't supposed to flex when standing still (are they?). I'm still considering this but welcome comments about my conclusion.

Greg
Old 08-07-2007, 06:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Great stuff!

We had this product installed in our trailer this past Winter. It was purchased at The Home Depot and installed along with wood trim by our favorite Airstream dealer. We left only the carpet in the bedroom. This stuff looks and feels like real wood with embosed wood grain and visible knots here and there. We love the easy maintenance and authentic look. We also chose to have it installed on a forty five degree angle. The floor was installed at an inside temperature of seventy degrees with a small gap, about a playing card width, for expansion. When the trailer interior is very cold, the gap opens to about a two playing card width but closes up once the heat comes on. Very cool product and perfect for our Airstreams.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Zoomin, that is what I wanted to hear. I assume you have had no problems. I really like the low expansion rate. Laid on the diagonal??? I want to see that, do you have pics?

Greg
Old 08-07-2007, 08:26 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Greg, No problems at all. I will be at my Airstream, currently at Highland Haven Airstream Park, this weekend and will shoot some pics for you then email them. I think you'll love this material. I love the three dimensional qualities that make ours feel like weathered wood underfoot. PM me with your prefered email address and I'll copy it as not to lose it.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:26 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Swan Lake , Montana
Red face Can't get Konecto flooring off my mind

Greg and All - After seeing the posts that followed my decision to cancel my order I have just put a call into a distributor in Portland, Oregon. I am going to ask them for a contact number to contact Konecto myself. I am with all of you - I don't see why this flooring won't work! The sub-floor info on Konecto's website implies that the flooring shouldn't be subjected to temperatures out of the comfort zone. Living where it gets -40* during the winter and you what temperatures can be in the summer this could be a problem. I am going to ask Konecto about this too! I will post my response after I get more information - hopefully this afternoon. It sounds like the flooring has been used successfully in A/S TT already. Sometimes too much information can be confusing! This flooring is so perfect - let's hope it can work. Will keep you posted. Carol
Old 08-09-2007, 12:26 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Anyone able to share the cost per square foot on this product..?
Old 08-09-2007, 01:39 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
See post #7

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:57 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Swan Lake , Montana
Thumbs up More information on the subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
I have been shopping this product and find it available online at internetfloors.com for a cost of $3.09 sq ft plus the cost of shipping which is about $180 to my location - you can check their website to get shipping to your state. My local dealer has the product for $4.99 plus shipping (checking on the cost at this time) and I found it for $4.60 plus $100 shipping from Oregon. I do have to drive 150 miles to pickup the product that would be shipped from Oregon so there's an additional cost. These prices are for the Prestige line which is the most realistic - wood grain with knots - and most expensive. I know that the other two lines of this product can be found at considerably lower price. The freight is a killer on the product because of it's weight. ANOTHER INSIGHT - I just got off the phone with the Konecto support line. I asked about the issues of subfloor requirements that have been brought up on this topic. She said that they don't suggest using the floor on anything that can flex - but couldn't tell me if our AS application was too flexible. I also asked about their recommendation that after installation the "room" temperature should be maintained between 55 & 85*F. For most of us this would be impossible. She said that any use of this product in an environment that did not strictly meet their requirements would void the warranty. Seems the issues are all about warranty. She did think that our application might work, but certainly would not be covered under warranty! After all that I am going to place my order for Konecto and take my chances - what fun is life if you don't "just do it"! Hope this is helpful information. Carol
Old 08-09-2007, 05:11 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Swan Lake , Montana
Update

I just got back from my Carpet One store. I ordered the Konecto, not in Sunset, but Sunrise and had to pay $5.19 sf delivered! Ouch!!! Oh well - will cut back somewhere else. Before ordering I talked with the owner of the store and he assured me that Konecto was just covering their liability and this floor should be perfect for the Argosy. My salesperson took me to the side and mentioned that they have a very similar product called Allure at Home Depot just in case I wanted to save a little money...which was nice of her. I stopped by Home Depot, out of curiosity, and they do have a similar product that doesn't look bad and it was only $1.09 per sf. It was available in three colors - dark brown, cherry wood color and a light pine color. I might have considered the HD flooring, but none of the colors worked into my plans. I will post pictures of the install and finished product as soon as the product arrives and I get started. First I will have to figure out how to put pictures on this site!?! Stay Tuned! I am really anxious to get started! Thanks for sharing all your information. Carol
Old 08-13-2007, 09:15 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
I'm ordering Sierra Plank tomorrow and installing this weekend (if it comes in). 5 cartons will do everything with some left over. Local dealer says he gets it from Armstrong in Dallas and they deliver to him just about every day. His price, including sales tax, was as good as the internet price. Sorry I can't remember what that was as the info is at the office.

I previously looked at the HD stuff but thought it was pretty thin. Very thin when compared to Konecto, plus it had adhesive on the back so is not a floating floor.

If this turns out to be a mistake, (1) it won't break the bank and (2) it is a floating floor so removal will be easy. I looked long and hard at laminate and was about to pull the trigger when I saw this. If it works, at least I won't have to worry about the effects of a water leak.

I'll post the price tomorrow night and will try to post some pics this weekend if I get it in.

Greg
Old 08-14-2007, 06:16 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
I ordered the mid priced Sierra Plank. 5 cartons (112.5 square feet) which is more than I need. Will do the entire trailer (except under the sofa) with repair pieces left over. $4.13 per foot delivered. About ~$40 more than if I bought on the internet but there is a real good chance I will have it this Friday. I figured that was worth $40. We are leaving on a 10 day trip to Santa Fe at the end of this month. I want this finished before we leave. Hope it is as easy to lay as the instructions/video make it look.

Greg
Old 08-14-2007, 07:02 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I've been following this thread closely. Please post pics.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote