Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #161
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
What worries me is my decking is 1/2" plywood and it is like a trampoline in spots. The flexing bothers me but also the potential for undulations where the decking has sagged over the years bothers me as well. My flooring rights now consists of gray deck paint and some throw rugs. I want to improve on that but I have been dealing with the major issues and am gradually getting to the cosmetic issues which are relatively minor.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #162
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Perry, do you think it would be a good idea to put down a layer of 1/4" ply to help reduce the flex a bit?

I've noticed it too, but I just always put it down to the 24" spacing of the frame, which I have always felt to be inadequate.

I'm thinking that I will do that when I put in new flooring next year.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #163
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The plywood would help for sure but you are going to have to have lots of nails or glue it down. Otherwise, it won't stiffen the floor that much. I was wanting a floating floor so it can be easily removed to check for floor problems. When I get around to pulling the front bottom skins, I may add some support for the floor under there. I may just live with the gray floor and throw rugs till I get an idea what I want to do with the interior. We are just starting to camp in the trailer so I am sure we will get a better idea what needs to stay and what needs to go. My 81 trailer suffers from the same cheap plastic interior that the 70's trailers had.

I was thinking of putting in some indoor outdoor carpet as a short term floor solution. They use to make some that had a gray rubber backing that was about 1/4" thick and it would stay where you put it. It would not have to be nailed down. I have not seen any of this carpet lately. I could cut that stuff to fit and it would look good and offer some padding. It would come right up if it got wet.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:52 PM   #164
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
The plywood would help for sure but you are going to have to have lots of nails or glue it down. Otherwise, it won't stiffen the floor that much. I was wanting a floating floor so it can be easily removed to check for floor problems. When I get around to pulling the front bottom skins, I may add some support for the floor under there. I may just live with the gray floor and throw rugs till I get an idea what I want to do with the interior. We are just starting to camp in the trailer so I am sure we will get a better idea what needs to stay and what needs to go. My 81 trailer suffers from the same cheap plastic interior that the 70's trailers had.

I was thinking of putting in some indoor outdoor carpet as a short term floor solution. They use to make some that had a gray rubber backing that was about 1/4" thick and it would stay where you put it. It would not have to be nailed down. I have not seen any of this carpet lately. I could cut that stuff to fit and it would look good and offer some padding. It would come right up if it got wet.

Perry
I think you can find that type of carpet at both Lowes and Home Depot these days. Most of what I have seen comes either 6' wide or 12' wide. You might be able to find some comes in 9' widths. You buy it by the foot right off of the big rolls. There are several varieties as low as maybe 60 cents per square foot.

Malcolm
Old 10-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #165
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
The plywood would help for sure but you are going to have to have lots of nails or glue it down. Otherwise, it won't stiffen the floor that much. I was wanting a floating floor so it can be easily removed to check for floor problems.
I was considering 3/4" or 7/8" staples to give a bit of extra support to the "sandwich" of a 1/4" over the existing floor without locking it away and making repairs to any damaged floor near to impossible.

Actually, I really have no objection to carpeting in the TT, except for two areas: the bathroom, and the galley area. Maybe I will go with Allure in those two areas, and carpet the balance. We use a Roomba (small robotic vacuum cleaner) to keep the existing carpet free from the sand that continually tries to work its way into the trailer, so a mixed floor wouldn't be any more problem to clean than what we have now.