Old 06-14-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
1985 25' Sovereign
Franklin , North Carolina
Hardwood in Bath

Im installing 5/16 engineered floor in A/S rear bath. Can I install this under the toilet? Is it as easy as backing the black tank ring out to allow the flooring to slide under then re-bolting the ring through the hardwood and then to the sub floor?

Old 06-14-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Check This Thread

RC707,
Check out this thread...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f461...ter-41785.html

There is much discussion about removing the toilet and toilet flange to get the flooring under it. It is pretty easy.

TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:37 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
1985 25' Sovereign
Thanks for the reply. Looks like folks have in the past ran flooring under the toilet. When you do it in the home, modifications have to be made under the toilet, just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing before I started setting the floor.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
I have a 29 foot Ambassador and recently removed the toilet flange. Here's the thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...ank-40649.html I hope it helps you figure out the modifications necessary to install the floor. Good luck. Post a few photos of your progress.

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:10 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
1985 25' Sovereign
Todd, had the same problems, in regards to removing the abs flange. Had the hardest time finding the part once removed. Removed rotten wood and replaced the entire bathroom floor. Well the hardwood is down, gluing into place first thing in the A.M.
Just bought the A/S and trying to get it ready for the maiden voyage to Branson. I'll post pics of both as soon as I figure it out.

Thanks again for your interest and help
Old 06-15-2008, 01:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Just finished installing some Prego, locking type laminate flooring today...went lengthwise, lots of cutin' and fitin' (and cussin' too!)...gosh, my knees are sore...

I left the toilet flange alone...removed the toilet bolts, laid the Prego over the flange...cut a hole out of the flooring the size of the flange so the flooring would lay flat on the sub floor - I used a small router cutting tool with a 1/8 inch bit.

I then sat the toilet on the flange and traced around the base...then used the router again to cut the final outline in the flooring...then reinstalled the bolts and bolted the toilet to subfloor...I then used matching colored sealant to fill the gap around the base.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc707 View Post
Todd, had the same problems, in regards to removing the abs flange. Had the hardest time finding the part once removed. Removed rotten wood and replaced the entire bathroom floor. Well the hardwood is down, gluing into place first thing in the A.M.
Just bought the A/S and trying to get it ready for the maiden voyage to Branson. I'll post pics of both as soon as I figure it out.

Thanks again for your interest and help
RC707,
I think in my thread I explained the creation of a spanner wrench out of the toilet bolts and a 2 X 4 scrap. It worked perfect and I did not damage the flange at all. If you need a new flange the replacement threaded flange is available at most RV stores.

I also thought about using Mexray's solution, but did not want to mess around with a router and caulk. But his solution is just as viable as mine.

Quote:
I left the toilet flange alone...removed the toilet bolts, laid the Prego over the flange...cut a hole out of the flooring the size of the flange so the flooring would lay flat on the sub floor - I used a small router cutting tool with a 1/8 inch bit.

I then sat the toilet on the flange and traced around the base...then used the router again to cut the final outline in the flooring...then reinstalled the bolts and bolted the toilet to subfloor...I then used matching colored sealant to fill the gap around the base.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Somebody called that wrench the Airstream Black Hole Wrench! I liked Mexray's solution too. RC707 post some photos if you get a chance. Click the go advanced button below the message window. Then click the paperclip button above the message window. That should prompt you to upload the photo files! Easy pezzy! BTW it's nice hearing from the 70's 29' Ambassadors! Yet another reason for photos.

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 06-15-2008, 10:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Thumbs down wood or laminate flooring bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
Just finished installing some Prego, locking type laminate flooring today...went lengthwise, lots of cutin' and fitin' (and cussin' too!)...gosh, my knees are sore...

Now when you need to replace your toilet,you must find an exact match with the same footprint,I find this all the time in houses,where someone has ran ceramic tile around toilet ,instead of under it.you can`t even get toilet up so out comes the hammer,and they usually end up with non matching tile under toilet.Just use 2 gaskets glued together,and a long set of bolts,and you should be good to go. Installing wood or laminate flooring in bathroom is just an accident waiting to happen . Plumber Dave
Old 06-16-2008, 08:19 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
1985 25' Sovereign
Thanks for everyones help. I will post some pics later.

Todd, I will PM you when I,ve posted.

Thanks again
Old 06-16-2008, 11:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
Now when you need to replace your toilet,you must find an exact match with the same footprint,I find this all the time in houses,where someone has ran ceramic tile around toilet ,instead of under it.you can`t even get toilet up so out comes the hammer,and they usually end up with non matching tile under toilet.Just use 2 gaskets glued together,and a long set of bolts,and you should be good to go. Installing wood or laminate flooring in bathroom is just an accident waiting to happen . Plumber Dave
Dave, thanks for your points. Eventually I'll be putting the subfloor and flooring back in my trailer and I'll be faced with the decisions we've been discussing in this thread. I hadn't considered what you say about the kind of flooring in the bathroom. What flooring do you recommend in trailer baths?

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 06-16-2008, 12:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by monocoque View Post
Dave, thanks for your points. Eventually I'll be putting the subfloor and flooring back in my trailer and I'll be faced with the decisions we've been discussing in this thread. I hadn't considered what you say about the kind of flooring in the bathroom. What flooring do you recommend in trailer baths?
I installed a comercial grade vinyl under toilet then caulked it with Polyseamseal caulk .Don`t remember who made it,it was left from a dentist office ,and flooring guy gave it to me. Plumber Dave