Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
Hardwood: Glue or nail down?

Is there a general consensus around here on which method is best for real hardwood in an Airstream -- glue or nail down?
JakeSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Sunny Skies , Rockies
if you the trailer is gutted and you have only the subfloor, it will be easier to nail or staple the flooring down. make sure you use the right size nails and/or staples. this will also work well if your subfloor is in good condition to take the nail bite. the glue is also messier.
if you are replacing the flooring and working around your built-ins etc., then it will be easier to glue it. think of trying to get the floor nailer in the tight spots and under cabinets. you will end up face nailing and filling the holes. gluing may also be more structurally effective if the condition of the subfloor is poor. this will add some structural stability as the floor boards mate to the plywood and strengthen the soft spots, etc.
good luck
Marcello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Just put a composite floor in my Safari. It is a fraction of the cost of real hardwood, lighter, more durable and easy snap together lay in installation without nails and glue. It is of course synthetic but the look is very close to real wood.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
This is an interesting subject because for once, the cheaper, thinner products that look the same as the more expensive, thicker products can actually be better.

Here's what I did with my tradewind:

I laid HOUSE WRAP over the frame and put the new floor on that. I treated the whole floor, and double-sealed the edges. I then put HOUSE WRAP on top of the floor, and laid the IKEA click flooring. I weighed the packs, so I knew the flooring weight contribution. I did not glue or pin it, and left a smaller 1/4" gap all round.

It's held up really well, and it will take many years before the house wrap degrades enough for water to even start touching the wood - at which point the wood treatments will start working