Old 02-08-2004, 09:24 AM   #1
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Hillsboro , Texas
Hardwood Concern

My 34 Classic Limited has hardwood in the galley, We are considering replacing the Living and Hall with same floor.

My concern is the length, although it has 3 axles, should I be aware of circumstances (body flexing) or cautions in using hardwoods in a long Airstream Trailer?

Old 02-08-2004, 08:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

None that I know of, although most of us who have wanted that look have gone with laminate (Pergo) flooring. As thick as real wood flooring is, you may have some problems fitting it under or around some things, but others have done it.

Mark

Old 02-08-2004, 08:37 PM   #3
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Hillsboro , Texas
Hardwood

Mark,

Since the Kitchen has the oak hardwoods so I wanted to be consistant when flooring the rest of the unit.

I Know most trailers flex while moving, I wanted to get thoughts from other owner's who have had success.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

"...I wanted to be consistant when flooring the rest of the unit. "

I thought that was what you had in mind. Can you do that? Isn't it going to make the old look like a patch? Even if the finish is in perfect condition, and even if you can find new flooring that is an exact match, unless you take up part of the old there is going to be a well defined line where the two join up.

If for the above, or any other reason, you decide to take it all up, the addtional cost will be minimal as the amount of materials involved is very small anyway.

If my experience is any guide, you will like having the carpet gone. I still find it hard to believe how much stuff we manage to track into our coach. Having to vacuum was always such a pain.

Mark
Old 02-08-2004, 09:04 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

My wife and I own a 19' Bambi that the former owner installed lino. flooring in 2/3 of the A/S. We are replacing all of the flooring in the trailer, the remaing carpet and lino. floor with cork.

Do a search in the A/S Forum for cork flooring and you will get many positive comments on cork.

Another source for cork flooring information is to do a Google search for "cork flooring."

We are having the flooring installed by a Utah supplier. In their showroom the supplier has a cork floor installed and it is not only beautiful it is very duriable.

I suggest you consider cork flooring. The cost will be the same or a little more than wood. The benefit is a very duriable finish, water resistant and the biggest a warmer floor. We travel with two small dogs and they shun the floor when it is cold outside.

Jim
Old 02-09-2004, 07:56 AM   #6
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Hillsboro , Texas
Hardwood

I appreciate the comments from Mark and Jim,

Mark, the lines would be a real headache, I think matching the existing oak flooring would result in unwanted heart-burn!

Jim, I saw another Airstream that had cork flooring, I will give this serious thought.

The main concerned was the TT's 34' length and body flexing/flooring issues. I'll spend more time searching flooring options in the Forum and post my decision.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:37 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
cork floor

I am concerned with the glues and chemicals used in cork. also what kind of sealer works well enough with everyone tracking sand in. How's the wear and tear factor. We have tile floors and I would love to have warm floors. carpet is not an option. Anyone tried small ceramic tiles in a trailer? thanks, hope to be- silver suz
Old 03-09-2004, 01:06 AM   #8
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
It floats

johnbaker,
hardwood laminate flooring is installed as a floating system. It lays on thin insulating foam and a sheet of plastic. It is not nailed or glued to the sub-floor, but rather glued on the joining surfaces only. So, the floor floats on the subfloor, and can absorb a lot of movement and flex. Mine has been installed years ago, and it still has not presented any problems. My trailer flexes a lot! But it is only 25ft long. The end moldings overlap the floor about 3.8in, and the molding has a step that is secured to the subfloor. this ay the floor can move 1/8in either way and not "pop" out. This allows for flex, expansion, and movement while walking on it without cracks or splits.
My floor is a Pergo floor, but better wood floors work the same way.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Silver Suz Sez "Anyone tried small ceramic tiles in a trailer?"

Haven't tried it, but have some strong negative thoughts about it.

First of all, ceramics, with grout and underlayment, are REALLY heavy.

Second, I would think that ceramics would tolerate absolutely zero flex, and on the first trip you would experience side to side cracking at the grout seams.

Even the thicker true hardwood floors, though heavy, are able to absorb a certain amount of flex, unlike brittle ceramics and grout.

Prior to installing the Pergo in the MH, many brands of hardwood laminates were considered, couldn't find any "real" wood finishes that would hold up the abuses of being installed in an Airstream that regularly carries as many pups as we travel with.

My opinion only. The good thing is, the floor is such a small area, it doesn't take long to redo it if you don't like it.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 06:46 AM   #10
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Ceramics

New AS MH's have ceramic tile in many areas of the unit.

Instead of a dry sanded grout, they use a flexible filler for the tile joints.

It is like a rubber or silicone type filler.

I have seen it done retro on AS trailers also.

Smily
Old 03-09-2004, 06:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
......they use a flexible filler for the tile joints.

Smily

Do they use them on the floor? Good thoughts on the vertical surfaces (if you could afford the weight), but I would think a flexible (soft) grout would be a bugger to keep clean (sand, dirt, typical nasties found at campgrounds).

Interesting application.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 08:00 AM   #12
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
I tiled the bathroom in our 77 center bath.

I used a 1X1 tile that was mat mounted and did accent tiles around the edge. I used an acrylic mastic to bond the tile to the floor and made sure that the panel to panel seam was at a grout line. I grouted the tile with a tube of the tub seal that they sell to make the transition form tile to bathtub. It matches grout in colors and texture and was silicone based so it never got hard.

Laying the tile was easy, the grouting was a bear. The space was a 30X30 square and it took a whole weekend with the cutting and grouting.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 09:58 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
tile floor

would putting thin pieces of wood like redwood in a matrix formation with small 2'x 2' tiles work do you think? Our concrete drive has wood joints to take the expansion and contraction. I'm trying to figure out the lightest weight floor with no chemicals. or minimal AFM products. we have wood floor that floats and mostly tile floor in our house. would this work? silver suz
Old 03-09-2004, 10:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Not sure if anyone else has tried it but we have decided to go with the 1/4 inch dense rubber flooring.

I grew up with them in the Rinks (Hockey/Ringette) so I know they are durable, very cleanable, vacuum, sweap or get down on your knees and scrub kind of flooring. If skates don't make a scratch I know they will hold up to the grit and dog nails.

It is a really safe - no-slip surface and when you want a nice warm touch to your bare feet on those cold mornings a throw rug is not about to slip and slid all around (such as on Pergo flooring). When fitted properly you don't have to glue it down - so no chems used. Available in tiles and various thicknesses. A great insulator as well.

We have dogs so carpet is out (would be out even if we did not have dogs) as sand fleas are carried in by your shoes - and they just love to camp out in the carpet fibers- as do those lovely dust mites.

Our original tile floor is in perfect condition - but it would be just a tad cold and super hard and cold on the feet. The rubber is hard but still has some shock absorbing characteristics for the ankle and knee joints when you are standing around with many drinks in hand.

And for the Vintage owners - it comes in Red, (Airstream) Blue (our selection) or Green fleck - just like those fleck 50's-60's counters everyone looks for!

$1.99 US a square foot - what a perfect find (for us that is!) Comes in 4' rolls any length too. One long piece will do our coach with a short piece at the door with a seem - a perfect place to have one - just in case we ever have to replace the portion at the door - but highly unlikely.

Sorry I miss-placed the brochure - will look for it and post their web site later.

SPK