Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2014, 09:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
lancaster , California
Getting Ready for NEW flooring!

Hello, Im getting ready to purchase some new flooring for my 72 AS TW and I was wondering what kind and how should I install it? I was thinking that I'd like to stay away from the nail/glue down in the event that I have to remove the flooring for subfloor/frame repair in the future. My AS is going to be an ongoing resto. what are your thoughts?
jcain63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We installed total floating floor. Pieces snap together. Already had foam previews at factory. Fit close then installed quarter round trim.

Ps. Careful where you nail... I glued some quarter round pieces in place

Also, it is laminate.. Same as in my home. Been in over a year.. No issues
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Can send pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	371.9 KB
ID:	214218  
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcain63 View Post
Hello, Im getting ready to purchase some new flooring for my 72 AS TW and I was wondering what kind and how should I install it? I was thinking that I'd like to stay away from the nail/glue down in the event that I have to remove the flooring for subfloor/frame repair in the future. My AS is going to be an ongoing resto. what are your thoughts?
I'm in the same process with my Trade Wind. The carpet is out, and I have flexible floor leveling compound and underlayment from Lowes. I just ordered vinyl click-lock flooring from Homey D.

I don't want glue either, and as many various leaks as I've had, I decided it had to be waterproof. I'm not a big Homey D fan, but I really liked the look of the stuff I picked there.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
More progress today. I got the first layer (it may also be the last, depending on how lazy I feel) of the floor leveling compound down.

Tell you what - keep track of how many staples you have to pull out after you think you got the last one.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:19 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
lancaster , California
You're so lucky!!! I haven't been able to do much on the AS, my mother-in-law cashed in a favor I owed her... So I've been building a patio cover. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get something done.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Well, lucky is a relative term. It was 108 here today, and luckily I got the A/C in the trailer fixed yesterday. It was still hot, seeing as how I left the back window and the door open due to the volatiles in the leveling compound.

What kind of floor covering are you using?
Old 06-21-2014, 10:42 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
lancaster , California
Well we haven't picked it up yet but my wife picked out the traffic master Brazilian cherry laminate flirting from HD.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
We are to be (hopefully, if HD gets their poop in a pile) getting the red cherry two stripe click vinyl.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:40 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
lancaster , California
That sounds great. Get some pics when you're done.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I'll post pictures if it turns out nice. If it looks like poop, you'll never hear another word about it.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Well we haven't picked it up yet but my wife picked out the traffic master Brazilian cherry laminate flirting from HD.
So, she picked out the flirting? The gentleman helping your wife must have been quite the hunk.

Are you going with the click interlock or the glue strip? As hot as it gets here, I can just about guarantee that the glue strip would give up the ghost.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
lancaster , California
Hahaha!!! Stupid spell check! Yeah we're going with interlock in the event we need to remove it. Next winter I'll be removing the underbelly to inspect the frame and holding tank.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Athens , Georgia
Bamboo flooring

There are alot of types of flooring out there, most suitable for stable floors or concrete pads, but how would one underlay bamboo click-together flooring? Has anyone installed bamboo flooring? Would it make sense to use a moisture barrier (we live in Georgia) over the subfloor?

Any experiences or stories are appreciated!

Thank you all!
MIKO
MIKO92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Athens , Georgia
That flooring is...Yummy!
It looks fantastic!
Old 07-01-2014, 10:14 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
lancaster , California
Use the moisture barrier and install as you would in a house. Be careful when you nail in the base shoe or quarter round, make sure it's in the subfloor and not the interior skin.

Flo is getting a make-over!
Old 07-01-2014, 06:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
OK - Ill bite. Why would you be better off fastening the edge trim to the floor instead of the walls - is it just that you don't want to be nailing to the aluminum?

Quote:
Use the moisture barrier and install as you would in a house. Be careful when you nail in the base shoe or quarter round, make sure it's in the subfloor and not the interior skin.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:57 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
lancaster , California
Yeah, you don't want to nail into the aluminum. Holes can filled a lot easier in wood.

Flo is getting a make-over!
Old 07-01-2014, 10:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Here's my plan: I'm a little hinky about losing 3/4" all around the perimeter of the trailer from the quarter-round. Let's say we've got 40 feet of perimeter (that's probably high, I know) times 3/4", that's 360 square inches of floor space gone - over 2 square feet - sucked up by the quarter-round.

I know it won't help a whole ton, but I'm planning to use aluminum angle around the perimeter, polished at least a little and fastened to the walls with countersunk SS oval head screws on some kind of measured centers. Maybe 6" centers.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:00 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Athens , Georgia
Good hint about where to nail!

What exactly would one use as a moisture barrier? You didn't need one, but have you ever, and what did you use?
Here is my dilemma: The manufacturer's info sheet suggests asphalt impregnated felt or asphalt impregnated kraft paper. Both will do the trick, I guess, but neither would I consider suitable for an interior use, especially in a small trailer.

Maybe a low-VOC "vinyl" flooring, first, then the bamboo?

Thanks for the time and thoughts!