Athens , Georgia
That flooring is...Yummy!
It looks fantastic!

Old 07-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
lancaster , California
Use the moisture barrier and install as you would in a house. Be careful when you nail in the base shoe or quarter round, make sure it's in the subfloor and not the interior skin.

Flo is getting a make-over!

Old 07-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
OK - Ill bite. Why would you be better off fastening the edge trim to the floor instead of the walls - is it just that you don't want to be nailing to the aluminum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcain63 View Post
Use the moisture barrier and install as you would in a house. Be careful when you nail in the base shoe or quarter round, make sure it's in the subfloor and not the interior skin.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:57 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
lancaster , California
Yeah, you don't want to nail into the aluminum. Holes can filled a lot easier in wood.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Here's my plan: I'm a little hinky about losing 3/4" all around the perimeter of the trailer from the quarter-round. Let's say we've got 40 feet of perimeter (that's probably high, I know) times 3/4", that's 360 square inches of floor space gone - over 2 square feet - sucked up by the quarter-round.

I know it won't help a whole ton, but I'm planning to use aluminum angle around the perimeter, polished at least a little and fastened to the walls with countersunk SS oval head screws on some kind of measured centers. Maybe 6" centers.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Athens , Georgia
Good hint about where to nail!

What exactly would one use as a moisture barrier? You didn't need one, but have you ever, and what did you use?
Here is my dilemma: The manufacturer's info sheet suggests asphalt impregnated felt or asphalt impregnated kraft paper. Both will do the trick, I guess, but neither would I consider suitable for an interior use, especially in a small trailer.

Maybe a low-VOC "vinyl" flooring, first, then the bamboo?

Thanks for the time and thoughts!
Old 07-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Athens , Georgia
Now...THAT's thinking!

I like the idea, though 6" centers may end up being too close, aesthetically, and that is ALOT of drilling!

The 2 purposes of the trim around a wood floor is to, 1) Keep the edges from lifting and starting a buckle, so the edge trim must be attached to something that will not be flexing and moving (a wall is usually very good about staying put), 2) Keep the gap formed when the wood floor "breathes" out of sight and functionally closed to dirt/debris.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:47 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Well, I've got one of those cheap-asset Harbor Freight drill presses, so hopefully I can set up some kind of a guide or jig and I won't have to drill all of them by hand. But you're right about a lot of drilling, and I'm thinking you're probably also right about 6" being too close.

There will be sections where I do something else instead, where the edge is unseen, like under the kitchen sink.

I'm still waiting for that donkey Home Depot to get my flooring here. Bunch'a schmucks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKO92 View Post
Now...THAT's thinking!

I like the idea, though 6" centers may end up being too close, aesthetically, and that is ALOT of drilling!

The 2 purposes of the trim around a wood floor is to, 1) Keep the edges from lifting and starting a buckle, so the edge trim must be attached to something that will not be flexing and moving (a wall is usually very good about staying put), 2) Keep the gap formed when the wood floor "breathes" out of sight and functionally closed to dirt/debris.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:38 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
Here's my plan: I'm a little hinky about losing 3/4" all around the perimeter of the trailer from the quarter-round. Let's say we've got 40 feet of perimeter (that's probably high, I know) times 3/4", that's 360 square inches of floor space gone - over 2 square feet - sucked up by the quarter-round.

I know it won't help a whole ton, but I'm planning to use aluminum angle around the perimeter, polished at least a little and fastened to the walls with countersunk SS oval head screws on some kind of measured centers. Maybe 6" centers.
Please post some pix of that, it sounds interesting! I've redone 3 floors, used oth laminate, and vinyl (click together), they have all turned out well, but the final trim has always been the sticky point....I've used rope, and also quarter round, so far, the quarter round works the best. There are some wierd angles to deal with though.

Larry

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:04 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
lancaster , California
I agree. I like the aluminum trim idea. Please post some pics when you're done.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Well, like I said before, if it looks great, I'll post pictures. If it looks like crap, well, the dog ate my homework... or something.

I'm still waiting for Home Depot to ship the flooring. They have, of course, already sent me the bill.

While I'm waiting, here's my latest harebrained scheme. I'm going to put felt tape on the side of the aluminum that faces the vinyl.

The theory is that the vinyl will be able to slide easily against the felt, so the floor will be less likely to buckle, and the aluminum won't leave minuscule scratches in the vinyl as it expands and contracts. Also, there might be kind of a gap between the aluminum and the vinyl that the felt will fill, hopefully keeping dirt from getting in. (Yeah, like that would be the only dirt in the whole trailer...)

Like so:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor edge felt tape.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	215661  
Old 07-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
lancaster , California
That sounds like a good idea. I'm gonna have to copy your designs and call them my own. Hahaha.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcain63 View Post
That sounds like a good idea. I'm gonna have to copy your designs and call them my own.
Best to wait and see how it comes out before you do that!
Old 07-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
lancaster , California
I'll take credit for your idea and if it doesn't turn out I'll blame you. Lol. I'm kidding of course.