Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
san luis obispo , California
Floors- first or last?

Just purchased a gutted 65 airstream and watched a video on restoration, and the floors (cork flooring) were put in last, but looking through lots of the photos on this website i noticed many trailers in the process of restoration the floors were in first. What is the best approach?

In the DIY network video they pointed out the cork floor is a 'floating floor', it would seem that building upon the cork would restrict its ability to contract and expand in different humidity levels.

Thanks Jessica & Joseph
jespa80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California
I am planning to replace the plywood first. After doing everything else. I will put in the final flooring. Don't wanna fall thru the floor, don't wanna mess up the new floor covering.

NUTZ
Old 11-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jespa80 View Post
Just purchased a gutted 65 airstream and watched a video on restoration, and the floors (cork flooring) were put in last, but looking through lots of the photos on this website i noticed many trailers in the process of restoration the floors were in first. What is the best approach?

In the DIY network video they pointed out the cork floor is a 'floating floor', it would seem that building upon the cork would restrict its ability to contract and expand in different humidity levels.

Thanks Jessica & Joseph
What kind of cork were they talking about? I have been looking at a glue down cork,like a tile ,12"x18". Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I agree. Also, cork is so expensive why would you want to put it under the cabinets and inside the closets?

I just ran it in the visible areas and used aluminum or wood molding to cover the 1/4" gap.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Any floating floor would go in last.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:50 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
it's a tongue and groove floating cork floor, not the glue down tiles
Old 11-13-2008, 05:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by jespa80 View Post
Absolutely last - for a couple of reasons:
  1. Even your trailer is gutted, you need to explore around the perimeter of the walls with an ice pick to determine if there is any rot. Most older units will have at least a couple of rotted areas. The Airstream design theory is for a monocoque construction, the frame, floor, and shell work collectively to provide the required overall integrity. The flooring area under the shell and on top of the frame is where all three of these structural systems come together...usually the joint area is about 1 1/2" wide and runs the perimeter of the trailer...with certain exceptions (i.e. the steel front and rear hold down plates, elevator bolts in the floor, and maybe a couple of others specific to individual models), but overall the trailer really relies on the perimeter joining for it's strength. Finish any frame repairs, address the frame/shell/floor/floor rot areas, and then finish the interior to your liking.
  2. If you put a nice floor in first the foot traffic, dropped screws and rivet pulls, material scrapes, and general construction wear and tear will surely show up on the finish. Leave the floor for last, then you will not have to worry about it. Actually, as short as most of the older trailers, there really should not be too much concern for expansion. Most likely the floor will be pushed all of the way to the front of the trailer after the first trip - things (the floor IS floating) just generally migrate to the front, so most of the expansion (if any) will be toward the rear of the trailer.
Floor rot and PROPER repair are, IMO, the MOST IMPORTANT items toward pricing a used Airstream. You have to get down to the basics first (frame, floor, and shell), and make sure that a nice new floor is not covering up a bunch of nasty rot. This is why a shell off restoration is by far the best way to insure you will have a "new" vintage trailer when you are finished with the refurbishment of the unit.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Have re-done [4] houses the past three years. Floors last, always. Repair rot, remove/replace, etc, but no finish work until the end.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:39 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Do the floor first.

Do the flooring last.

Roger
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:18 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
thanks everyone for your replies and advice, our 65 overlander is en route from pheonix as I type....

What is the general opinion on cork vs bamboo flooring? Is there much of a weight difference?
Old 11-14-2008, 06:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
My opinion is that the composite cork planks weren't as light as you would think. The MDF filler between the top cork layer and the bottom layer is probably about the same weight as on the bamboo.

I would make your choice based on appearance and what you like, rather than weight.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
I'd be wary of anything on MDF, as it doesn't do well with moisture. It absorbs water like a sponge and will expand and distort the seams of the floor. I speak from the experience of watching my kitchen floor deteriorate very quickly due to moisture. If you go with it, be vigilant about keeping the floor dry.

As to cork vs. bamboo, my preference is cork. It's durable but is softer to stand on than bamboo.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
My opinion is that the composite cork planks weren't as light as you would think. The MDF filler between the top cork layer and the bottom layer is probably about the same weight as on the bamboo.

I would make your choice based on appearance and what you like, rather than weight.
Not all cork has a MDF filler or core. We are considering using the Edipo pattern from Duro Design which is a solid cork (no backing) 3/16" tile in Birdy. Duro Designs offers both glue down tiles (3/16") and Floating plank (1/2") options.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:29 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
I much prefer the straight cork. You can get it as tile or sheets and can be glued directly to the sub-floor. I like the sheet flooring because it means fewer seams.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Cork is my number one choice at the moment. It has to be way lighter than most alternatives, durable, easy to repair whether tile or sheet, natural, flexible etc.

I toyed with the idea of an engineered wood product but it would just tear itself apart in the climate up here.

I'm planning on installing the cork towards the end of the project but I'll see what the samples look like when they arrive. (I have access to a crew who could put a commercial finish down for me so it should be very durable).
Old 11-14-2008, 01:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Another option is Marmoleum (linoleum). It is a natural product and is also very resilient. Lots of great colour options, too.