Old 08-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Indianapolis , Indiana
Flooring weight questions!

Hi all - this is my very first post! Been reading tons of posts on here, we just jumped in head first to revamping a 76 sovereign 31', and boy are we in over our heads a bit. We're repairing some floor rot, and then, trying to decide what flooring will work best.

My main concern is weight. We are really wanting to keep the overall weight down, so I thought vinyl sheet would be great but then my dad, who is helping us, said the subfloor screws and joints would "bleed through" so we would have to put down another thin sheet of plywood to have a flat surface for the vinyl. At that point, aren't we looking at just as much weight as putting in laminate planks? This flooring will go in the entire trailer so that's a lot of weight to add in.

I've read that cork is a good option but it's just not in our budget. The vinyl I had picked out really looked just like laminate "wood" so I was happy with it. What should we do?

Thanks so much!

Old 08-26-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Welcome to the Forum.
You're correct. A thin sheet of lauan ply is just added weight. Bleed through shouldn’t be a problem if the heads of the fasteners are tight, recessed or flush, and sealed with epoxy, paint or poly. I’ve used all three and don’t see any difference. As long as the seams in the subfloor are level you’re good to go.
Sheet vinyl is a good medium if you’ve got an empty shell and are looking to cover the floor wall to wall. It’s a pain if you’re trying to cut and fit around existing furnishings in such a small space.
The latest project has a floor that was covered with porch paint by the previous owner. I went with the vinyl planks and it looks great. After the floor was scrubbed and dried the self-stick planks went down easy.
I didn’t go all the way under the new benches or old cabinetry to save both the weight and cost.
Don’t be afraid to jump in. We’re here to help. Here’s before and after shots for inspiration.
Good luck with you trailer. Let us know how it comes out.

Tom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior On Day of Pickup.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	109446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nearly Done Dinette.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	990.8 KB
ID:	109447  

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie08 View Post
... just jumped in head first to revamping a 76 sovereign 31', and boy are we in over our heads a bit. We're repairing some floor rot, and then, trying to decide what flooring will work best.

My main concern is weight. We are really wanting to keep the overall weight down, so I thought vinyl sheet would be great but then my dad, who is helping us, said the subfloor screws and joints would "bleed through" so we would have to put down another thin sheet of plywood to have a flat surface for the vinyl....
Listen to your dad - sounds as if he knows what he is talking about.

THe '78 31'er had 1/2" original plywood flooring. The seams and elevator bolt heads would have been verrry noticable under most any flooring.

I installed 1/4" (finished one side) plywood as a levelling coat - ground/sanded down the seams/bolts prior to using a levelling calk. Make sure you don't put the seams directly over the existing plywood seams - they need to be staggered. I glued down the 1/2" in addition to 5 spotting/countersinking wood screws on about an 8" pattern.

Finished it all off with a 6" X 6" period correct wood parquet....have not had to touch up anything yet, though I did spend a goodly amount of time installing moulding and quarter round to finish the edges (not shown in the pics below).

Check out the square footage of floor actually needing a facelift - not really that much area. No need to make it pretty under the gaucho, beds, or cabinets.

Welcome to the Forum - learn to use the "search" function - it will son become your best friend. Most every possible problem has probably already been documented here - no sense in reinventing the wheel.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
antigua guatemala , sacatepequez
hi sadie -- i recoomend RUBBER flooring,, tiles or sheet. 500% better than vinyl. i am doing my 4th trailer remodel - it´s the best !! i get mine from PRF ACTIVA - it´s
the non-automotive branch of PIRELLI - they´ve been making flooring for over 80 years. laminate can chip, stain, warp, weighs a lot: rubber is natural, flexible, resilient, insulates well and a treat to walk on. the PRF warehouse always has a great
selection of colours, surfaces ( smooth, raised dot, hammered, slate ) and it comes in
tiles - 20 in. squares, 40 inch squares, or sheet - 5´ or 6´ wide. AND, best of all, they have a close out, discontinued overstock department -- at about $1.50 sq.ft.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
$ or?

short on bucks/time/knowledge on what to do? I vote you paint the floor. Go next door (both sides) and across the street-ask if they have any "old" paint they'd donate-then mix them (assuming all latex) and you have a low cost method that can always be changed, especially if you decide on a complete monte later on. The paint will be light weight as well, and you can put it on with just about anything. sometimes "nothing" is the best answer....
ol' bill
Old 09-27-2010, 12:01 AM   #6

bothell , Washington
Cork Vs. Bamboo Flooring...

Not sure if anyone is curious or if this is old news or not, but I just did some math on flooring...
(Price and weight from Home Depot website.)

Cork:
$5.33/sqf
1.6lbs/sqf
200 sqf = $1066 and 320 lbs.

Bamboo:
$1.99/sqf
2.03lbs/sqf
200 sqf = $398 and 406 lbs.

Is 100 lbs. worth $668?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Rubber flooring costs less and weighs less
$ 1.90 / sq.ft
.93 lb. / sq.ft
200 sq.ft $380 and 186 !! lbs.

and with rubber you don´t have to leave expansion gap or EVER worry about water
leakage, seams opening or bottom rot. ups charges apply from new jersey.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Home Depot has pergo type flooring that was $4.75 on sale for .59,

yes .59

you need 110 square with waste on that rig

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
RBC
1 Rivet Member

fort Collins , Colorado
floor

Just starting to remodel my AS as well. I have pulled out all of the interior and have just the plywood for flooring now. I plan on filling any holes with auto bonding and then sanding the floor to get it level and clean. I want to put a 6mm poly sheet water barrier and then a floating plank marmoleum floor coving the whole trailer. My question at this point is, how do you know put back everything without screwing them into the floor and then preventing the floor from being a "floating floor". I have looked at cork, rubber and decided to go with the plank marmoleum.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
hey rbc - that´s why ´floating floors´ are installed in stationary structures & not in
trailers. there´s no point and all disadvantage. you could put all cabinetry back & lay
the planks in the émpty´space. remember to raise the cabinets etc to compensate for the raised height of the laminate ( doors need to open fully ). i lived & travelled many miles in an rv with a laminate floor & don´t recommend it. why not sheet marmoleum ?
Old 10-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Shelter Island , New York
Keep it floating by allowing a 3/4 inch space around any screws.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #12
RBC
1 Rivet Member

fort Collins , Colorado
Thanks that is a great idea. I can put floating Marmoleum floors in the trailer all around and just make sure wherever I need to screw into the floor i give it space to float!!!.
love it
thanks
Old 10-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
The Grass Capital of the World , Oregon
floating floor and marmoleum

We used Home Depot's vinyl flooring (Allure Light Bamboo). $1.99/sqft not on sale. We installed everything with a utility knife and a tape measure. Elegant simplicity. We desired a waterproof medium (Pacific NW), so we used the vinyl flooring which adheres to itself with a glued strip. After sealing the gaps between floating floor and walls, we have a killing-room worthy waterproof floor. The dirt sweeps off and the water wipes clean. We just screwed right through the floating vinyl to the subfloor when necessary, caulking the screw hole to keep it water tight.

We used marmoleum for the countertops in the bathroom (installed) and the kitchen (pending). Also only required utility knife and tape measure. You can find beautiful colors and patterns. Also planet-friendly. Very happy with both mediums.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2036.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	113637   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2056.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	113638  

Name:	IMG_2057.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	113639   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4048.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	113640  

Old 10-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Kelowna , British Columbia
Lafuente...thanks for the tip on rubber! Looks like a good option.