Old 04-25-2004, 12:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
flooring treatment install

I have finally purchased the cork tiles 12x24" that I have been looking for to redo my living area and kitchen. They are the squared edge, not locking edged type, which is what I wanted.
Here is the question...the two metal plates where the pole for my extra dining tables slip into are 1/8" above the rest of the floor. The cork is 1/8" thick as well.
What can I do to assure that there will not be a "rise" where the metal plates are located? I am considering the cork underlayment roll type, or maybe 1/8" plywood to raise the surrounding floor.
The plywood subfloor is in excellent shape after I removed a hundred staples, the rubber mat and old carpet. I also scraped and vacuumed it to get it ready. Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	424 003.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	6201  

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 01:00 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Alan,

Are you wanting to cover the pictured plate? If it was me I would paint it with a high quality paint that approximates the cork. Then tile up to it. If the plate becomes scuffed you can repaint. If the color of the plate is not the issue Then I would tile to it and be done.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 01:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
What I'd do

Alan:

If it were mine, and I wanted to keep the table wells, I'd do one of two things.

A). Leave the existing plate in place, and cut the cork flooring to "just" fit around it.

B). Remove the well, lay the flooring, cut just the well radius, and reinstall the well. The plate will probably draw the cork down a bit (compress it). This (B) is what I would lean toward.

If the table wells are to be permanently removed, I would "angle" the edges (make a bevel cut), fabricate a plug with a mating bevel, cement the plug in place, and install the florring over it. As an alternative to bevelling, if you can get at the bottom side, install a cover plate from the bottom, and cement a filler plug from the top to level the floor.

Good luck!

AAFP (Anxiously Awaiting Finished Pictures)

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 01:16 PM   #4
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Alan
If you have access to a router you could remove the plate, build a jig and route out a 1/8" relief in the plywood. Then reset the plate and place the floor over it (cuting a small circle for the table leg). If you could only find a trim ring that would protect the floor right at the over the plate.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 01:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
thanks guys - food for thought. I like the router idea, might have to ask my neighbor who is a master woodcraftsman.

The plates will stay for sure, as I really like my two little extra tables. They are in great shape also.
The plug that normally goes in the hole had the old carpet on it so it matched, I can glue cork onto it also, and maybe paint the rest of the plate to match the cork color, that is a good thought as well. I am looking at the cork underlayment idea too- they sell thin rolls for that purpose and it adds extra sound deadening.

I am waiting for the pollen to die down here before I install as the windows need to be open while I apply a urethank finish coat....maybe in a week or so.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 05-01-2004, 04:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
after a whole afternoon spent trying to coax out the bolts, the two plates are now out. The bolts on one went into the frame under the floor and would not budge for quite some time. Tommorow we are attacking the floor with the router to mount the plates flush, then when the weather is less humid I will start the cork install. I also cut some oak strips to go under the couch, sink and refrig, where carpet had covered plywood before. The 1/4" oak faced was stained to match the rest of the interior and should look good above the new flooring.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 05-02-2004, 09:59 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Acworth , Georgia
Alan:

I agree with Steven, remounting the plate flush with the main floor. Anxious to see how it all comes out. Good Luck!
Old 05-02-2004, 11:13 AM   #8
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Stability

I cant help but think that the floor is obviously going to be even weaker when you reduce the thickness by at least an 1/8".

These sockets are not the best of support for table legs but they work. If you check and see, put one of the legs in the socket and observe the flex in the floor when they are in place and apply a little weight to them.

If it were me, I would cover the original hole in the floor with the new cork, cut the hole through the cork then instal a new shiny socket. You can buy them from most RV suppliers for around 7 dollars each.

I have installed these new and replaced originals, I think you will find that they definitely will flex the floor when the legs are installed and a little weight is applied.

Smily
Old 05-02-2004, 05:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thanks for the tips. Seems lile the floor is quite solid to me. In fact one of the socket plates was screwed into the frame underneath and har as heck to get out. Now that I see how its put together I am ok with taking 1/8" out of the floor. Are the new sockets made the same way? Plate thats about 6" square or so?
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 05-02-2004, 06:43 PM   #10
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Look here

You can get them at most RV stores

Old 05-02-2004, 07:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thanks for that, Smily.The no. 48733 alminum plate in the photo is what I have now. More to think about on the project
Sheeesh! I just noticed there are at least three ad links at the bottom of the page for Cork Flooring. Clever huh?
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 05-08-2004, 04:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Flush mounted

After finally getting hold of a router, as I don't own one...I dropped the plates flush into the floor. Seems as solid as ever. I resealed the plates underneath with caulk as before, and now i am headed to buy new bolts to bolt thru the floor. The old ones were rusted. Next I start laying out the cork.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 05-08-2004, 09:22 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Alan,
Do you know if these tables were standard items for the 86' 345? Mine did not have these and I can not find any identation in the floor or carpet plugs. My owner's manual states " Remove 'plugs' from pedestal floor mounting bracket ( the plugs are approx. 3" in diameter and the front one is located 1" back from the cab platform. The rear one is 62" from the platform. Both are about 1' from front of the roadside lounge." I guess it is possible that a PO removed but the carpeting looks original. Thanks for any input. Jim
Old 05-09-2004, 02:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Jim, I will have to defer to a 345 owner. Mine have been nice additions to the dining area when needed. The main table in ours fold out and the two smaller ones stand next to the fold out leaf. In the 345 you have a dinette area, so I would imagine the extra tables might have been an option, but we wil see what the others have to say.

Got about 1/3 of the cork glued down today. I resintalled the two plates for the table support, bolted thru and glued over them after caulking to cover minor irregularities; nails countersunk, etc. I used Elmer's flooring adhesive..water clean up and no odor. I have the more complex cut pieces to do in the kitchen area, but the old back needs a rest!

AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM