Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2016, 12:13 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Casa grande , Arizona
Flooring stained on floor of Brand New Classic advice needed

So about 3 weeks ago I purchased a 2016 Classic form a local dealer. While looking over the unit at the dealership I saw a stain about the size of a softball below the sink on the flooring in the walkway. I told the salesperson about it and they assured me it would come out during the pre delivery detail.

At delivery I was told it would not come out but they needed me to bring it in the next week or so and they would get it out then. Apparently they didn't have enough time to get out the stain.

Today I went to pick up at dealer and was told it wouldn't come out. I believe it is glue. It's yellow as well. Anyway, now they are saying "if it really bothers you we will have to have Airstream haul it to the factory and remove all the furniture and cabinets and replace the entire floor". It angers me to hear someone minimize the issue. As if I should accept a flaw as big as this and move on.

It seems I bought the dealers problem here. Instead of them dealing with this nightmare, I bought it and now have to wait to get it fixed. Sucks.

Any advice here?
Clozzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Well, dang... It is bought now, while it is the dealers and Airstream's obligation to make it right, the time lost to the repair is going to be lost to you.

I cant KNOW that the dealer didn't know that the stain wouldn't come out before they sold it to you I am going to assume that they had tried to get the stain out while the trailer was on the lot.

But, this is purely my assumption. (That is the catch)

Either way, the dealer is not going to take the trailer back now, no matter what, it is going to have to be fixed.

Maybe you can really document the problem now, throw a rug over the stain for a while, use the trailer, and have it fixed over a period when you wont be camping for a time?

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:38 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Casa grande , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Well, dang... It is bought now, while it is the dealers and Airstream's obligation to make it right, the time lost to the repair is going to be lost to you.

I cant KNOW that the dealer didn't know that the stain wouldn't come out before they sold it to you I am going to assume that they had tried to get the stain out while the trailer was on the lot.

But, this is purely my assumption. (That is the catch)

Either way, the dealer is not going to take the trailer back now, no matter what, it is going to have to be fixed.

Maybe you can really document the problem now, throw a rug over the stain for a while, use the trailer, and have it fixed over a period when you wont be camping for a time?

Superat stultitia.
Good point. While taking delivery I heard the service tech say to the sales person " we tried everything and it won't come out". The salesperson looked to me and said "she is underestimating the quality of an airstream". I knew better but I was excited to take home the airstream. I should have not taken it home. Stinks.

Airstream sent a list over this week of possible solutions to try on the stain. To no avail, the dealer couldn't get them to work out the stain.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:49 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
The flooring was one of the things that steered me away from the new Classic. It's just completely NOT designed to be camped with. It's OK for those who camp in concrete resorts, but coming through the door with the dog after taking him outside in a rainstorm while camped in a national forest campground is NOT what the Classic's flooring is designed to be compatible with.

The flooring is simply completely NOT practical...and to top it all off, it sorta looks like something that would go UNDERNEATH carpet. It's going to get dirty just by walking on it.

Anyhoo...that being the case, here is one of the only stain cleaners that I've ever used that actually WORKS:

I once had a patient who had a colostomy bag burst all over her new taupe carpet one night. The husband actually hired a company to professionally come clean it. They cleaned the carpet perfectly with simple aerosol cleaners and rags. But, his wife had the accident happen again. After it happened the second time, the husband had noted that the company they hired to cleaned their floor the first time had used spray cans that utilized a certain kind of sprayer nozzle but he didn't know WHAT the product was. Not wanting to spend all that money to call the company to clean the carpet a second time, the husband went searching for the product they had used...but again the aerosol cans had no discernible branding besides that peculiar nozzle. Well, he found the product pictured above in an auto parts store...and it had the SAME nozzle as the professional product. Might be the same stuff, might not. He figured it was worth a shot. It COMPLETELY removed the stains from the carpet. I couldn't believe how well it worked when he showed me. Is it the same as the product the company used? Who knows. But it CLEANED just as well...and again it used the same nozzle. Could be a coincidence, but this stuff WORKS.

I've used it ever since; that was about 15 or so years ago. It ALWAYS removes anything I've had to clean from carpets and upholstery. A true great "spray and blot dry" product that REALLY gets out icky stains. REALLY icky ones.

If that doesn't work, get some nice looking throw rugs and cover up that flooring. It'll look better anyway. Lol...

Hope this helps!
RareStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:20 AM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I agree that Blue Magic works. I have used it to clean red wine from carpet. I keep a can of it in my camper.

With that said, I wouldn't accept the stain on a brand new camper. I would ask for an estimate for the cost to transport it back to the factory, remove the cabinets, and replace the entire floor.....Then, I would ask for a check for that amount and expect to negotiate down. I probably would settle for about 75% of the estimate.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:42 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Casa grande , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareStream View Post
The flooring was one of the things that steered me away from the new Classic. It's just completely NOT designed to be camped with. It's OK for those who camp in concrete resorts, but coming through the door with the dog after taking him outside in a rainstorm while camped in a national forest campground is NOT what the Classic's flooring is designed to be compatible with.

The flooring is simply completely NOT practical...and to top it all off, it sorta looks like something that would go UNDERNEATH carpet. It's going to get dirty just by walking on it.

Anyhoo...that being the case, here is one of the only stain cleaners that I've ever used that actually WORKS:

I once had a patient who had a colostomy bag burst all over her new taupe carpet one night. The husband actually hired a company to professionally come clean it. They cleaned the carpet perfectly with simple aerosol cleaners and rags. But, his wife had the accident happen again. After it happened the second time, the husband had noted that the company they hired to cleaned their floor the first time had used spray cans that utilized a certain kind of sprayer nozzle but he didn't know WHAT the product was. Not wanting to spend all that money to call the company to clean the carpet a second time, the husband went searching for the product they had used...but again the aerosol cans had no discernible branding besides that peculiar nozzle. Well, he found the product pictured above in an auto parts store...and it had the SAME nozzle as the professional product. Might be the same stuff, might not. He figured it was worth a shot. It COMPLETELY removed the stains from the carpet. I couldn't believe how well it worked when he showed me. Is it the same as the product the company used? Who knows. But it CLEANED just as well...and again it used the same nozzle. Could be a coincidence, but this stuff WORKS.

I've used it ever since; that was about 15 or so years ago. It ALWAYS removes anything I've had to clean from carpets and upholstery. A true great "spray and blot dry" product that REALLY gets out icky stains. REALLY icky ones.

If that doesn't work, get some nice looking throw rugs and cover up that flooring. It'll look better anyway. Lol...

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the reply. The stain is not from wear, it's from when airstream installed the flooring. Imthey believe it to by the glue used to install the flooring making it impossible to get out.

Actually, they tried that very product, no luck

The flooring is supposedly very god with pets and dirt. (Supposedly lol)

Only time will tell.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:15 AM   #7
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Typical construction quality. The dealer should have refused delivery on behalf of any future owner! Duh.... like it happened magically during the tow from the factory to.the dealer?
I would be pretty pissed at the notion of having them (a) tow my brand new unit away from my safe keep (oops) and (b) ripping the thing to the frame to replace the flooring!
the lemon law/ buy back law might apply.
In many stated you get a 3 tries and youre out deal where you must present your vehicle 3 times for the same repair without resolution. At this point youre eligible for replacement. This is a colosssal pita but I would opt for that over ripping it apart.
oh and yes..... has anyone at the factory EVER SPENT A SINGLE NIGHT IN ONE OF THESE? Who thought this floori g was a good idea? Yes it looks great on the assembly line but in practicum..... wait a minute.... it didnt even survive a trip down the line without a stain!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Suggest a deal. Find a throw rug that looks good to cover the spot. Tell the dealer you will be satisfied with X amount of accessories free. Generater, lawn chairs additional awnings or what not to compensate. If not tnis might drag out for months and drive you crazy. If a deal is struck, try floor cleaning company's on your own. I don't know if this is carpet or not, but properly applied dye might solve the problem. If it's not carpet, the stain can be covered with some kind of paint professionally done. I know tnis is not what is the correct solution is, but it might be what is necessary. A word of warning, NEVER accept a new trailer with any defect. Leave it and don't sign until the problem is remedied. Once you drive off the lot, you've lost half of your bargaining power. So sorry for your situation, hope you get a solution. Bargaining for accessories might be your best comeback. What about one of those expensive hitches so many like? Good luck.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
dawsonville , Georgia
DEMAND a replacement at no cost to you and demand a loaner while the replacement floor is being installed...even if you don't plan to use it.
Cleosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:31 AM   #10
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
If your 'stain' is truly adhesive and on vinyl or polypropylene/synthetic fibers, then the 3M product [38984] at the URL below is the best bet for removal.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-38984-Spec.../dp/B0054S5OOU

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:56 AM   #11
From Beautiful Egg Harbor

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Egg Harbor , Wisconsin
Who is the dealer? This is important to other buyers in your area This does not need to concealed.

In any case I would not take the dealers remedy if shipping back as factual or true. Sounds like a cop out to me. There are certainly flooring pros in AZ that AS could retain to remedy.
efaehw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:30 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
I would not pay a dime for the repair! This is on the dealer and AS. I like the idea in a previous post to have the work done when you are not going to use it for a while. Document all you conversations and get names. Use emails or written communication if possible
Sgilcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:33 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
Write a nastygram to corporate and ANY decent flooring co should be able to fix it and give you a quote to share with corporate in your note!
alantbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:15 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
This situation just stinks. There is just no easy resolution for you. It's all a huge problem and they have made it yours. Extremely poor customer service. Sounds like it might even be a deliberate shenanigan. Hope something works out. Can I ask what the flooring is - I'm considering luxury woven vinyl for our 66 Tradewind refurb. Is this your flooring type? If so I might reconsider. Thanks.
hippiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:15 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
I saw an eight month old AS at the factory that was gutted because of a leak and mould between the walls. It was not a pretty sight! And I doubt the refit would be as well done as the original install. Follow the suggestion to gut your pride and joy and you could end up with other discouraging defects.

I have a new 26U about the same age as yours with a minor defect or two, so I know the angst you are going through. You haven't said if you have any other problems to deal with, so if not and your new AS doesn't LEAK, I'd say you're not too badly off when buying a new AS.

If you're handy....and if not, hire a finishing carpenter to install a beautiful laminate flooring of your choice. Cover that lousy spot and get a great surface that will wear really well. New flooring can go right up to the cabinets, etc, and a bit of trim will finish it off.

Then present the bill to your dealer or move on to AS itself.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:49 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Lemon laws don't apply to RV's (not that I've ever heard of) and especially trailers (they're not motor vehicles).
But lemon laws almost never work for the consumer anyway.
vito98103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito98103 View Post
Lemon laws don't apply to RV's (not that I've ever heard of) and especially trailers (they're not motor vehicles).
But lemon laws almost never work for the consumer anyway.
Well, in Florida there is a pet lemon law. If you spend more on a vet bill than the dog cost within a period of time, you get your money back from where you got the pet.

Worked for me. I mean, I got my money back. Ended up spending waaaaaay too much on that dog, but that's a whole other story...
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Actually the Service/Repair side may very well do a better job than the Assembly Line

Bob
Old 06-29-2016, 02:02 PM   #19

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Aliso Viejo , California
Stain on your flooring

I would use your new AS while the weather is nice and make notes of all the other things that will need repair, replacement or corrections and send that puppy back to have it all fixed at the same time. Don't be shy about letting Airstream know what needs to be corrected because your warranty is only good for so long and after it's up .... you are out of pocket.
CAStreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Casa grande , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by efaehw View Post
Who is the dealer? This is important to other buyers in your area This does not need to concealed.

In any case I would not take the dealers remedy if shipping back as factual or true. Sounds like a cop out to me. There are certainly flooring pros in AZ that AS could retain to remedy.
It's Lazy Days in Tucson.