Old 12-09-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
1967 28' Ambassador
New orleans , Louisiana
Flooring Questions

Hi everyone -

I'm just about ready to instal flooring in my 67 overlander, and a friend who is helping me with the project has suggested that I instal the cabinetry and furnishing BEFORE the floor. Has anyone installed flooring around the cabinetry? is there an advantage to installing flooring in the entire trailer first? She was thinking that if there was ever any water damage that it would be easier to replace a board if it was not stuck underneath the cabinetry.

thanks in advance for any advice!

Shambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Pros - less material and if you need or want to change or upgrade later, easier.

Cons - more work as you need to fit around doors, edges, walls

If you are using a flooring material that needs to "float" (many if not most products) it may be difficult to door that with cabinets and furnishings installed on top of it.

Old (usually dirty) Nissan Titan
Old (enhanced with "male pattern baldness") Sovereign
Young, lovely bride
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
If you are going to use sheet goods like, Forbo-Marmoleum (My favorite). I would put it down before the cabinets.

For reasons stated above (save on material, easier to replace). If you are using wood plank, cork, etc. I would wait until you install the cabinets. However it is more labor intensive making all the cuts and harder to make it look as good, e.g., quarter round or some type of base board.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:16 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
1986 25' Sovereign
Oak Harbor , Washington
If you are certain of your cabinets then put those in first. If you are considering future changes then keep those area free of cabinets and furniture.

In our case we kept the front empty so that the "living space" could take on different looks/furniture. The kitchen and bath cabinets remained installed, to eliminated the need to fit along those areas I used a plunging vibrator saw (commonly used by floor installers) to provide the clearance so the new floor slipped under the places it would have otherwise needed to be fitted around.

In the sleeping area it was easy to remove the beds and run the flooring there as needed.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote