Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2008, 07:40 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
jackson , Mississippi
Flooring - Inspected, now what?

Hello all.

Fantastic site. I am new here so please bear with me!

I located a 1990 AS Excella and went and inspected it using the most helpful inspection checklist provided on this site. The guy is asking a premium for the trailer so I expected it to be in premium condition.

In my humble estimation, it is not in premium condition, but rather, in good to fair condition.

One of the issues I located was soft flooring in the kitchen at the edge of the bottom of the fridge. Soft flooring cannot be good.

My question is, what do I do now? How do I determine how much this will cost to repair?

The other issues are more cosmetic, scratches all over the exterior, blemishes through the clear coat (appear to be those spider things talked about in other parts of the forum), and the like. The systems (except the monitor panel) all worked fine.

Any idea how much it costs to replace the flooring in a 30' AS? Ball park? Should I be frightened and run away?

I sure do appreciate any insight.

Eric
erichatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Did you check access door behind fridge to see extent of damage,does it go all the way under or just a small spot? Not a bad fix if small ,if you have extensive floor rot it can get expensive,or very time consuming.Don`t forget the cost of new flooring,point out everything to owner,and try to negotiate a better price,or walk away,there are plenty out there for sale. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
First off, welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichatten View Post
<snip> One of the issues I located was soft flooring in the kitchen at the edge of the bottom of the fridge. Soft flooring cannot be good.

My question is, what do I do now? How do I determine how much this will cost to repair?

Any idea how much it costs to replace the flooring in a 30' AS? Ball park? Should I be frightened and run away?
A lot goes into determining the costs:
  • Is it just a patch or the entire floor?
  • Is the frame underneath intact or damaged, rusted or broken?
  • Does the entire interior need to be removed to access the damaged portion or just a cabinet or two?
  • Are you handy enough to do the work yourself or will you have a "pro" do it for you?
  • Travel expenses, if it's a "pro" who? Will you incur travel expenses to get your travel to them?
  • Will this "minor repair" trigger a more intensive remodel? Many have found it a slippery slope and they get a case of the "while we're at it, we might as well..."
The easiest thing to do to help determine the condition is to take a volunteer inspector here from the forums with you to take another look. They may see things differently than you - for better or for worse.

Once some of these factors are narrowed down, you will be better able to assess and negotiate a fair price.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Eric

Start another thread and ask for an inspector in your area. Many of our members will go with you and inspect a trailer with some level of experience behind them.

Any floor issue is a big issue. Unless you are capable of doing it yourself the cost will run into the thousands quickly because anything above the problem will have to be removed during the fix.

It is odd that the soft spot would show in front of the ref. It takes wetting over a period of time to soften the flooring and I don't see a constant source of water in this location from the ref. I would look more to the shower, a hard place to get to, if it is next to the ref.

A soft floor in an Airstream is like a knocking engine in a used car. Move on or halve the price.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
It is odd that the soft spot would show in front of the ref. It takes wetting over a period of time to soften the flooring and I don't see a constant source of water in this location from the ref.
It could be from a floor vent under the fridge...road splash back. Both our trailers have these vents...given, both of ours are older trailers, but this could be a source this trailer has them too.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
It could be from a floor vent under the fridge...road splash back. Both our trailers have these vents...given, both of ours are older trailers, but this could be a source this trailer has them too.

Shari
The ref. is generally set up on a cabinet at least a foot about the floor and the vent conducted down through the floor and through the under belly via a plastic tube sealed around the outer edge to the belly pan. A circuitous up hill route.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
jackson , Mississippi
Wow! Thanks alot!

I will post a new thread in the volunteer section. I am about as handy as an anvil.

The spot runs the lenght of the bottom of the fridge (toward the bedroom) and is about 8 inches across. The wood laminate actually crackles under pressure. The area is generally soft to the touch. It appears to be isolated...but who knows.

Thanks again.

And for those who were/are curious about monies, he is asking $15,000 for this unit.

Eric
Old 11-21-2008, 10:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Thats a weird spot for the floor to be soft unless a crossmember broke. Or the roof was leaking??
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
jackson , Mississippi
Mustang:

The owner claims a child let her drink spill over night on the floor in the area where the flooring is now soft. I am no expert, but I would think it would take longer than one night to cause the wood laminate to deteriorate to the point that it crackles under pressure....but what do I know?

Thanks again

Eric
Old 11-21-2008, 01:45 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
jackson , Mississippi
Easyride, I did not check behind the fridge to see if the damage went further, however, I will now!

Inside Out, great questions....all of which I do not know the answer to...but I will find out.

HowieE, I just sent out my request for a volunteer and thanks for the rec.

All: The fridge is immediately the left upon entry at the front of the unit. The stove is on the right side on the way to the rear of the unit. The shower is a good 8 feet from the fridge. The shower is located on the left hand side though before you get to the back twin beds.

Thanks again and I will update with pictures next time.

Eric
Old 11-21-2008, 01:55 PM   #11
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Mustang:

The owner claims a child let her drink spill over night on the floor in the area where the flooring is now soft. I am no expert, but I would think it would take longer than one night to cause the wood laminate to deteriorate to the point that it crackles under pressure....but what do I know?

Thanks again

Eric
It could be possible. Laminate flooring is basically particle board with a laminate surface on the top. At least the floor I put in my home is built like that. Particle board will suck up water like a sponge and expand.

With a laminate floor, it is going to be very hard to tell what is under it. The sub floor is what is most important.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Mustang:

Thanks again

Eric
That kid spilled a lot more often than once. It take months for the OSB flooring to go soft from being wet. The problem with OSB is once the surface wets through it almost never dries and the wetness is like a cancer it just expands.

Airstream puts down the carpet over the complete floor then covers the carpet with construction plastic. Once the trailer is at the dealer the dealer will cut the plastic off the traffic areas leaving it under the cabinets, sofa, and bedding. Any water that get through the carpet and padding can run horizontally. Once under any of the areas covered by plastic there is no way the water can evaporate. If water does get through the OSB it soaks into the insulation below the floor and just exacerbates the problem. So don't stop you search at the wall or cabinet base.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
I was too anxious and there is always another gal! New subfloor is very expensive if you have someone else do the work. I would keep looking.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:53 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
check the site www.jaxed.com go to the mash and then search for rv airstream , it will search all the craigslists out there and I would not buy on ebay. Also keep checking the classifieds on this site. Nothing is moving unless the price is great. 12000 is alot of money in this economy and then it will need 10 000 more. Ex. our baby was a great deal and now several thousands to just do minor stuff as hubby will only redo the floor, by the floor I mean a floor no water marks. Good luck again, gail
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:44 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
jackson , Mississippi
Thanks Gail!

Eric